You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-11 18:53:43

lestoil

Router-dsl issues SOLVED

I'm running Arch-i686 on P4,2G ram,NVGeForce6200 ,turtlebeach sound card and sis900etho/lan(using mii module not sis900) pci card.  The previous install was aborted because pacman wouldn't work even with pppoe. I had used Arch two yrs ago (after using SW since version8-10.2) but broke the system too many times).  So after a break I re-installed and tried setting up network via beginners's guide and an old 'Simply Linux' Jetblackz(?) guide.  Remembering that Debian had same problem with network setup, I used pppoe-setup and that got me going,this time, to full install. And I got a notice about adsl handling networking.
    I must say the xorg setup has changed a lot and took 'mucho' time.  Other than that the install has been fast and stable even with all the  pacman updates.  It seems any "burps" in system are eventually fixed with updates. And thank goodness VLC allows audio cd playing!  Kscd and other programs that used to, in older Arch/Kde, won't play audio cds.
    But it bugged me that I still had to use pppoe. SW12.2,Suse11.1,Ubu9.04,Mandriva-2009 and various live-cds, including Desktop-BSD, just connected me during install. Win2000pro still uses 'winpoet' for Verizon DSL connection. I refused to upgrade to XP or Vista.
   So I installed wicd.  That automatically connected me to the wired router after asking me for the root password.
Prior to this 'ifconfig' showed eth0,lo and adsl connection.  Putting !adsl and adding wicd to the /etc/rc.conf Daemons list, without network or netfs, gets me a  tray icon in Kde4.2 showing wired-connection like in my other linux installs. Now 'ifconfig' shows eth0 and lo. Would that the install cd included wicd or had a more current quick 'wired-connection' setup.

#2 2009-07-11 19:39:12

djszapi
Website

Re: Router-dsl issues SOLVED

If you solve a problem, you can write it to the community. It will maybe help somebody smile

Board footer