You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-10 20:23:08

chunk08
Website

Command line (top-like) ACPI monitoring?

Does anyone know of a 'top' style command line program for monitoring ACPI? I'm thinking of writing one, perhaps adding support for manual CPU frequency scaling etc, but I'd like to see if anything is out there first.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the Lower, House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage
Toshiba Satellite L355D 17": xdm, ratpoison

#2 2009-07-10 21:02:11

Sjet

Re: Command line (top-like) ACPI monitoring?

/edit: oops, forget it, wrong thread

Last edited by Sjet (2009-07-10 21:02:45)

#3 2009-07-10 21:03:10

Malstrond

Which part of ACPI do you mean?
For monitoring power consumption, there is powertop, which also shows info about the CPU's current multiplier and sleep state. The cpufreq-utils are used to manage the kernel's behavior concerning changing the multiplier, there is also a userspace governor if you want to control it manually. yacpi is a CLI tool to show battery status. There are many GUI tools that deal with these functions too, i.e. the Xfce or Gnome power managers. Buttons are managed by acpid.

#4 2009-07-10 21:24:50

chunk08
Website

I was specifically thinking of things like monitoring temperature, CPU frequency, battery capacity/charge/runtime, and AC power status. I'll look at the tools you posted.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the Lower, House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

#5 2009-07-10 23:10:47

Svenstaro
Administrator

I can't think of any tool that does all the things you mentioned on the console. I think that if you contributed such a tool it would come in quite handy. I say go for it smile

#6 2009-07-11 00:18:24

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

chunk08 wrote:

I was specifically thinking of things like monitoring temperature, CPU frequency, battery capacity/charge/runtime, and AC power status. I'll look at the tools you posted.

yacpi (which Malstrond already mentioned) does exactly that, and no more.  Just remember to use the "-l" switch so that it updates regularly.

Last edited by keenerd (2009-07-11 00:19:13)

#7 2009-07-11 00:38:28

moljac024

Perhaps you can use some of yacpi's code...or heck, start a fork - that's how things are done in the OSS world big_smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#8 2009-07-11 19:24:40

chunk08
Website

Alright, so yacpi does what I'm looking for. I might still fork it and make a slightly more general monitoring program (CPU usage, time etc.) I was using conky, but it eats so much CPU itself that it's next to useless, though cool looking.

#9 2009-07-11 20:57:18

djszapi
Website

yacpi is nice smile

Board footer