You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-04 16:37:43

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Arch Linux (AMLUG live CD)

<b>Arch Linux (AMLUG live CD)</b> is a pre-installed Arch Linux v.0.4 with latest packages of version 0.5 dated 3-July-2003, developed by AMLUG. This live CD can act as a temporary workstation (office, internet, etc.), use as a demo, rescue ailing machines, test linux compatible hardware and install Arch Linux on HD.
http://amlug.org/new-projects/live-cd/a … ve-cd.html

<b>Main aim of this live CD is to......
(1) </b>act as a workstation for members using temporary computers (when traveling, working in the field or don't own a computer) to access e-mail and to work with their documents, accounts and files. Data (e-mails, documents, etc.) are stored on floppy disk or USB memory card.
<b>(2)</b> introduce Linux

NOTE:
Version 0.1 is for experimental use only for developers to use it as a base for further developments.
Opera is not an AL package and was selected because Mozilla takes too much space (70Mb)
http://amlug.org/new-projects/live-cd/package-list

Markku

#2 2003-07-04 18:37:28

Moritz

Re: Arch Linux (AMLUG live CD)

this is great! tongue

I'm currently downloading. Hope to give you a report tomorrow!

#3 2003-07-04 19:06:25

beniro

This is an excellent project.  I'm excited to see how it works!

Keep it up!

#4 2003-07-05 10:11:50

Mork II

Great work! I will check it out when I regain acces to a high speed pipe (56k sucks).

Btw a md5sum for the iso/tar.bz2 would be useful.

#5 2003-07-05 14:59:11

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Mork II wrote:

Btw a md5sum for the iso/tar.bz2 would be useful.

What is "md5sum"? I am not familiar with the term.

Markku

#6 2003-07-05 16:53:51

Gyroplast
Website

'md5sum' refers to the implementation of the MD5 digest hashing algorithm. Basically it genereates a 32 byte long string of numbers and letters that is practically unique for any given input. (Yes, I am aware of the birthday problem and hashing collisions, but we'll skip that for the sake of easy explanations, okay?)

The practical use of these md5sums is that it's possible to verify if the download is intact. The uploader, ie. you, generates an md5sum with the file before the upload, and put the resulting string up along with the actual iso. Anyone who then downloads the iso can also generate an md5sum, and compare his result with your result. If they are not identical, something must have been changed the file during the download, and the download is corrupted.

You should have the md5sum binary on your system already. Glance over the manpage if you like.

HTH,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#7 2003-07-06 02:23:34

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Gyroplast wrote:

The practical use of these md5sums is that it's possible to verify if the download is intact.

I have the md5sum command on my machine. How do I include it in the CD (image)? Is it part of mkisofs command?

mkisofs -o /mnt/slave/al-amlug-livecd-0.1.iso -R -V "AL(AMLUG v0.1)v0.5b" -T -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -A "Arch Linux (AMLUG live CD)" .

Markku

#8 2003-07-06 11:37:26

Gyroplast
Website

Okay, so you didn't read and understand the manpage. Fine, I'll give you a real life example.

[gyroplast@fennec gyroplast]$ echo "Some information" > ISOFile
[gyroplast@fennec gyroplast]$ md5sum ISOFile
6b42e40b10bd5e6a5ed32b7012fdbccc  ISOFile
[gyroplast@fennec gyroplast]$ echo "S0me information" > ISOFile
[gyroplast@fennec gyroplast]$ md5sum ISOFile
22d6e29b4fa3fe3a1fc21275bc09a07e  ISOFile
[gyroplast@fennec gyroplast]$

As you can see, I create a file with some information in it. Using md5sum on this file outputs, well, the md5sum of this file's content. Changing the contained data just a little bit leads to a totally different md5sum. All you need to do is to create your ISOFile as before, and create the md5sum of this ISOFile, and put the textual md5sum (the output of the program) up on the download page right next to the ISO, so that people can get the ISO, run md5sum over it on their computers, and compare it to the value you got when you ran md5sum on your computer.
If you want to be really user friendly, upload the md5sum as a simple text file, to allow people to use the --check option of md5sum. You can also glance over the official Arch documentation, section 2.1.3 "Preparing Installation Media", the md5sum ist used there to verify the ISOs integrity. Have a look at the Arch FTP Server to see how the md5sum looks like, if there's still any doubt. Basically it's just the output of md5sum piped into a file. Immensely simple.

Greets,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#9 2003-07-06 13:35:38

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Gyroplast wrote:

If you want to be really user friendly.....

Thanks for the example .
I pasted the result of al-amlug-livecd-0.1.iso's md5sum on the webpage. I hope it will do.

Markku

#10 2003-08-07 20:22:47

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

al-amlug live CD version 0.2 is ready.

<b>New features:</b>
1. HD Installer - copy CD to Hard Drive
2. MD Installer - configure Winmodem and HSP modems
3. Pre-installed printer drivers for CUPS.
4. Boot option for manual or auto x-window, sound and KDM start up.
5. HWD-1.0 - hardware detect for Arch Linux (devfs).
    hwd project page: http://amlug.org/new-projects/hwd/hwd.html
6. AMLUG Toolkit

Markku

#11 2003-08-08 03:50:25

kritoke
Website

Your distro(livecd) is in the waiting list on DistroWatch, heh.  Didn't take long I guess.
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=links
I always check that section to see if there is any really interesting projects going on.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#12 2003-08-08 06:51:51

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

kritoke wrote:

Your distro(livecd) is in the waiting list on DistroWatch, heh.  Didn't take long I guess.

I don't think my current server can handle it smile. With version 0.1 I had to increase my bandwidth with 1Gb to handle the downloads. Before uploading version 0.2 it was increased with 2Gb. On the first day of 0.2, 80% of width was consumed. After adding an additional 1Gb, I told my host "if Distrowatch.com makes an announcement, which may happen, then we need to think what to do with the increasing use of bandwith smile ."

Markku

#13 2003-08-08 14:43:11

kritoke
Website

Heh.  So basically the slashdot effect.  Well you have, what is it, like 3 months or so, until it hits the main page.  You could always see if maybe you could throw it on SourceForge or see if Arch Linux wouldn't mind including it on their server.

Kritoke

#14 2003-08-08 20:45:50

hApy
Website

you could also try using a bit torrent stream that way at least the people downloading will contribute to the over-all available bandwidth.

Hapy.

#15 2003-08-09 19:20:00

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

kritoke wrote:

Your distro(livecd) is in the waiting list on DistroWatch....

DistoWatch is using the name "AMLUG live CD" what I would prefer to change to "AL-AMLUG live CD". AL is a distro and AMLUG is a group of members using Linux (AMLUG - Ananda Margii's Linux User Group). The fullname of live CD is: "Arch Linux (AMLUG live CD v02) v05".

Few years ago among AMLUG members we thought about creating Amux (distro). But what's the point creating a new distro when there are "hundreds" of existing already. One of Ananda Marga's socio-economic concepts is "maximum utilization and rational distribution of all mundane, supramundane, and spiritual potentialities of the universe", which works well within Linux community. The beauty with Linux is to "download" whatever interesting things exists, use it or modify it into a nice packet, and then upload it back to the community. This is the basic idea of AMLUG.... not to become the "owner" of things but maximum utilizing what already exists and contribute. It would be nice if one day AL-AMLUG live CD will be upgraded and uploaded as "AL-AMLUG-Name of Another Group live CD" smile.

Markku

#16 2003-08-10 08:44:41

MasterC

Hi!  smile  Anybody have a chance to make a boot floppy for this yet?  Or did I miss some documentation on using one? 

Thanks for any info!

Cool

#17 2003-08-10 09:16:17

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

MasterC wrote:

Anybody have a chance to make a boot floppy for this yet?

The Live CD is still very new. Currently no boot floppy.... only a bootable CD. But it should be easy to make it. I let you know once ready.

Markku

#18 2003-08-10 09:53:31

MasterC

Thank you!  I'll stay tuned wink 

Cool

#19 2003-08-17 12:12:27

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

AL-AMLUG Live CD version 0.2.1 is upload.

<b>New update (ver. 0.2.1) 17-August-2003:</b>
1. Improved hd-installer
2. Reiserfs support
3. Fixed few kernel config bugs

If my server bandwith (5Gb) is exceeded (has been for last two days), please dowload from Norway or Arch Linux ftp links,  if available.
http://amlug.org/new-projects/amlug_project_page.html

Markku

#20 2003-08-17 15:39:07

kritoke
Website

Maybe you could post the links to the ftp sites that have them right now.  It doesn't look like Arch's ftp has the updated version of the LiveCD, and I can't seem to get to your site to figure out what the Norway mirror is.

Kritoke

#21 2003-08-18 14:21:15

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

My server account has been suspended for this month due to 10gb of bandwidth used this month (was fixed for 5Gb). I am moving the new version 0.2.1 to ibiblio.org. On Archlinux ftp its also soon  ready. Sorry for the delay. Let you know once ready.

Markku

#22 2003-08-19 08:58:22

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Markku

#23 2003-10-05 18:32:39

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

<b>AL-AMLUG Live CD 0.3 "Thumb PC"</b> is ready for upload. Before compiling and uploading the iso, are there anything you (AL users) would like to add (package) or to have a particular function in the CD? I have added one new package "openssh" requested on LinuxQuestions forum.

<b>New Function:</b>
Thumb PC -> login to a Thumb Drive (min 64Mb) with thumb-pc userID. Customize your KDE, download mails, save files and write documents same as using a normal PC. Configure your network or modem wit Net Installer or run modem wizard.

Markku

#24 2003-11-20 07:52:41

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Copied from:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=967

blokkie_ wrote:

I don't need a installer ..
I thought everything was compressed in a cloop img .. ran from the CD.

I'm going to look to implement busybox and cloop so archlinux can run from a CD nativly and not install itself as that is not the purpose of a llive cd

This live CD is a native Arch Linux running from CD including busybox and AL's startup files in one miniroot image of 10Mb (/boot-tmp/vmlinuz, /bin-tmp, /etc-tmp, /sbin-tmp, etc.). The image is compressed (2.9Mb) but all softwares are normal in the CD (610Mb). The temporary folder/files are deleted when login to free RAM space. In login mood everything is run from CD with standard folder structure (/bin, /boot, /etc, /sbin, ....).

About the installers, the HD Installer is only for you to copy the CD content (complete Arch Linux) to HDD if wanted. Instead of using Arch Linux 0.5 CD installer, this AL-AMLUG live CD does more by copying a full system including x-window and sound configure to a selected HD partition. Its 2 in 1 (live CD and installer)

What I understand about "cloop" (I am relating to Knoppix's live CD system) it means compressing all AL's packages (softwares) and uncompressing according to usage. This cloop method is not used in this live CD beacuse AL packages are small as I said earlier... not needed. But if planning to add more packages on the CD (above 700Mb) then maybe cloop could be considered but the performance will be slower, which I would not like to lose... this live CD is said on LinuxQuestion forum to be the fastest (I am not convinced). The new 0.3 size is 694Mb.

I suggest you download the live CD and take a look. Instead of making another AL live CD (if you plan to do), I would be glad if you can help to improve the existing CD. For details, I can give you all information how its done so far.
rasat@pacific.net.sg

Home page:

Download:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/al-amlug-livecd

Markku

#25 2003-12-04 06:44:30

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Live CD version 0.3 is ready with new features and packages.

<b>AL-AMLUG Live CD project page:</b>
http://amlug.net/new-projects/live-cd/a … ve-cd.html

<b>Package List:</b>
http://amlug.net/new-projects/live-cd/package-list-0.3

AMLUG changed amlug.org domain to amlug.net
http://www.amlug.net

Markku

Board footer