You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-12 10:40:18

srynznfyra

failed to fetch libelf

Ok, so I'm a newbie on Arch, but I've been using Linux for three years so...

My issue is that gnome-extra won't install via pacman. It failed to fetch the package libelf:

:: Retrieving packages from extra...
error: failed retrieving file 'libelf-0.8.10-3.1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz'
.easynews.com : Not Found
warning: failed to retrieve some files from extra
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occured, no packages were upgraded.

Ok, I presume this is an error with easynews.com. First off I wgetted the source code for libelf 0.8.10, compiled and installed it, but it still gives me this same error. Probably not installed in the right path or something.

So now I'm wondering, how can I switch the mirror that pacman uses? Or how can I install libelf from source but in the right path?

TIA

#2 2009-07-12 10:41:50

srynznfyra

Re: failed to fetch libelf

Ah, I now know how I can install it in a different path. I'm going to try /usr first. Then I'll try /usr/local.

#3 2009-07-12 10:53:38

Allan
Pacman
Website

If you are just compiling and installing manually, then pacman will not recognise that you have it installed (unless you use makepkg).  A better idea is to try changing your mirror (/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist)

Edit: also note the "Edit" button on the bottom right of your post....

#4 2009-07-12 17:14:14

srynznfyra

Thanks for the info. Yes I know about the edit button, but I overuse it on other forums so I just made another post. It can get a bit cluttered, so I'll always edit from now on (what I used to do).

I can google this, but do you recommend any good UK mirrors?

In Ubuntu (my native distro, arch is in a vm), there's two official mirrors that I can see, the main one and the UK one. They never seem to have broken or missing packages, so I haven't had to worry about package mirrors yet.

How do I go about making pacman see that I already have it installed? In Debian (well, Ubuntu), I haven't had this problem. It seems to recognize all software in the /usr or /usr/local directories. I didn't think Arch would be very different, but it seems there are quite alot of things that are done in slightly different ways.

Thanks alot

PS. I have GNOME up and running, but it doesn't have all the standard software that comes with it, ie because I couldn't install gnome-extras.

PPS. I think Arch is a brilliant distro as you can basically do what you want with it and it's MUCH less bloated than Ubuntu. But Ubuntu is suited to both geeks and average Joe's if you ask me (not saying I'm an average Joe, I am certainly a Linux geek!). I might try resizing my Linux partition and making a small partition just for Arch so it doesn't have to run in a VM.

EDIT: I tried another mirror and it failed again, with the same package. Is this package obsolete or something?

Last edited by srynznfyra (2009-07-12 17:30:51)

#5 2009-07-12 23:25:40

Allan
Pacman
Website

Ah, yes it is outdated.   You will want to update you system then try installing it again.  "pacman -Syu"

Board footer