You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-14 11:58:08

cewnb

[SOLVED] Where are you, iwconfig?

I've followed the Beginners Guide very closely (plus using various internet sources) and I've got as far as running X successfully. The computer running arch (IBM T60) can access internet flawlessly with wire, and so I thought I'd set up wireless now that I'm about to get things going. Unfortunately, as the title says, it seems iwconfig is not on my system. Shouldn't it be in the wireless-tools package? I've downloaded that twice, atleast.

Wireless card is the Intel PRO 3945ABG [GOLAN] (from "lspci | grep -i net") using the drivers from "iwlwifi-3945-ucode". It starts using "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" and the little wireless icon, right below the screen, lights up. but when I'm about to connect using wconfig I get something like "-bash: iwconfig: command does not exist".

Could the package mirrors have anything to do with this? I've read on several occasions that some mirrors aren't up-to-date, or that they are missing stuff. In my /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, i've got the mirror ftp://mirror.archlinux.fi/$repo/os/i686 uncommented and nothing else.

Thankful for any help!

Last edited by cewnb (2009-07-14 13:33:52)

#2 2009-07-14 12:29:41

miau

Re: [SOLVED] Where are you, iwconfig?

Hi, iwconfig is in the wireless_tools package which can be founn the core repository. Have you installed it with "pacman -Sy wireless-tools" or did you just downloaded the package? "pacman -Qii wireless_tools" shows also if the package is installed on your system.

#3 2009-07-14 13:33:34

cewnb

Oh... It's called wireless_tools? What a silly mistake! I thought it was called wireless-tools somehow.. Didn't even think it could be called something else. All working as intended now! Thanks! So ifconfig is not necessarily a part of the wireless_tools package?

#4 2009-07-14 13:38:27

miau

No its part of the net-tools package :-) iwconfig was made to support wireless connections.

Board footer