You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-14 12:02:54

isofx

Missing operating System?!

Hi,

I want to switch from Ubuntu to Archlinux and therefore created a arch-USB Stick using this commands:

mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdc1
dd if=archlinux-2009.02-2-ftp-i686.img of=/dev/sdc1

After I tried booting from it (which didn't work, I immediatley got to GRUB when I selected the USB-Device in the boot menu), I formated the Stick again (now using GParted), set the boot-flag and moved the image on it (using dd). As soon as dd finished, GParted couldn't detect the FAT32-FS any more ("Broken/missing/unknown filesystem").

When I tried booting from it, I got the message "Missing operating system".

Can anyone please tell me how I can solve this problem?! (I'm using a "MSI Wind u100 luxury" netbook)

thanks

isofx

#2 2009-07-14 12:07:29

toad
Website

Re: Missing operating System?!

I'd check the wiki if I were you. In your case it looks like your dd command is wrong:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _USB_stick

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2009-07-14 14:25:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

Welcome to Arch, hope it works out for you.

Doubtless you have gained some knowledge from running Ubuntu, but many long-standing members of the Arch community have contributed to the Arch wiki so, rather than assuming you know what to do, I'd recommend you check there first. The command you gave above will never work with the Arch USB image.

#4 2009-07-14 16:01:09

isofx

@toad: thanks! UNetBootin worked for me!

@tomk: I checked the wiki, but unfortunately I missed that article so I went on to the ubuntu forums and found that dd line I used
next time I'll double check the wiki smile !

#5 2009-07-14 16:10:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

isofx wrote:

@toad: thanks! UNetBootin worked for me!

@tomk: I checked the wiki, but unfortunately I missed that article so I went on to the ubuntu forums and found that dd line I used
next time I'll double check the wiki smile !

No reason/need to use unetbootin, just dd the usb image found on the 'Download' page directly to the stick, instead of to a partion on the stick. (as described in the "new and improved" way on the wiki page linked to earlier.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-07-14 16:11:36)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-07-14 17:34:12

toad
Website

Always remember - the ArchWiki is the hottest around. If you have a problem with a particular issue check the wiki. If you are not sure about the issue, check the logs, then the wiki - it is not advisable to check/use stuff from other distros (with the buntus you could use Debian and other debianesque commands, not the case with Arch as far as I know).

Whatever, enjoy smile

EDIT:

If you use firefox you might want to consider installing the arch-firefox-search package.

Last edited by toad (2009-07-14 17:36:05)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#7 2009-07-14 22:45:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I personally used the unetbootin method, since I don't really like having my thumbdrive re-written smile. Good thing is, once you HAVE done the install, there's probably no need to ever do it again. Rolling release ftw!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer