You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-16 02:47:06

celtic426
Website

Problems starting xfce4

Hi, I'm a new Arch user doing my first install in a VM on a windows host.  I have succeeded in all the steps up til now but am stuck on one thing. 

I installed xfce4 but can't get it to start right with the X server (i think). 

When it boots up now, gdm comes up and I can select xfce and then login with my username.  But after a few seconds of being logged in, the window resizes and a message comes up saying that the x server is going to be looked for on a different channel.

Selecting yes searches but doesn't find anything, and selecting no goes back to the desktop which only comes back to this message a few seconds later. 

So I'm stuck here and after reading the wiki on xfce4, found that there was little other help with xfce and arch online.

So if anyone knows whats going on that would be great if you could help.  Do I have to configure the X server or do something with my graphics card (nvidia)?

Edit:

"Failed to start the X server.  It is likely that it is not set up correctly.  Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem? 

<Yes>

It shows me the Xorg file and nothing else useful that I can see.  Then it says "The X server is now disabled.  Restart the dgdm when it is configured correctly.

Then it goes black and I have to restart. 

My daemon startup list is:  syslog-ng network netfs crond hal fam gdm

Last edited by celtic426 (2009-07-16 03:38:50)

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#2 2009-07-16 05:57:18

fh

Re: Problems starting xfce4

celtic426 wrote:

Hi, I'm a new Arch user doing my first install in a VM on a windows host.  I have succeeded in all the steps up til now but am stuck on one thing. 

So if anyone knows whats going on that would be great if you could help.  Do I have to configure the X server or do something with my graphics card (nvidia)?

Did you install Nvidia drivers? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

And maybe you should try to start Xfce from the command line; see if that works. You'll have to (temporarily) remove gdm from startup daemon list though.

#3 2009-07-17 04:07:41

celtic426
Website

fh wrote:
celtic426 wrote:

Did you install Nvidia drivers? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

And maybe you should try to start Xfce from the command line; see if that works. You'll have to (temporarily) remove gdm from startup daemon list though.

When I try startx from command line, I get a black screen and have to reset it.  I followed mostly everything the NVIDIA guide talked about. What could be going on?  Note:  I have had trouble with my graphics card with other distros not being able to start X.

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#4 2009-07-17 04:08:49

Allan
Pacman
Website

You should look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if you can find errors that will help you figure out why X is not starting.

#5 2009-07-17 04:13:49

celtic426
Website

Allan wrote:

You should look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if you can find errors that will help you figure out why X is not starting.

I tried nano-ing that and it opened a new file.

Board footer