You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-06 11:04:54

yodo

[solved] java programs freeze desktop

Hey,
Since yesterday my entire desktop freezes when I try to open java programs (e.g. tvbrowser). I can't really give any more information, because once the desktop does not respond I can't take any screenshots or read the console output. It becomes unreadable (photo), and the Computer does neither react on mouse nor keyboard.
This is a photo I took after starting tvbrowser.

Any idea what could be wrong?
PS: I use jre 6u13-1. But the problem occured very recently, it already worked with this java release. I don't have any idea whats the problem.
Its makes no difference if I enable visual effects (KDEmod 4.2), disable them, or use compiz.

Greetings, yodo

Edit: Since upgrading to the new xorg-server, I have another problem (>20% CPU usage by kwin with enables effects), so I would like to try downgrading. Maybe that also solves this java problem. I know there are some servers that are not up to date... but is there any "cleaner" way to install old program versions? Independent from obsolete servers. The answer sure is abs, but I'm not good enough in editing PKGBUILDs to create a complete new one. And just changing the version in the latest xorg-server PKGBUILD does of course not work (depends...). Is there an archive of old PKGBUILDs or could someone post it for the release before 1.6.1-1?

Last edited by yodo (2009-07-18 10:35:17)

#2 2009-05-10 06:07:47

darthaxul

Re: [solved] java programs freeze desktop

Thats why I never use anything that needs java its slow buggy and a pain to work with.
but if u insist, u probly should try building it from source and see if it works; that way u can set compiled in options.

#3 2009-05-10 15:57:03

Ranguvar

Since yesterday? Check your pacman log. Also, what did you do yesterday? Did you login/logout when you haven't for a few days, or reboot? Something at all different? There must be a trigger.
Try to replicate the problem with openjdk6, basic startx TWM environment, etc.
Have you tried Java apps on your PC (Vuze, for example)? Or just web? If the latter, try another browser or two.
Lastly, you can use the website to download the PKGBUILD and other files from a while ago and use makepkg to make the old package. This is just as "clean" or "unclean" as downloading an old package from a mirror and pacman -U'ing it, though.

#4 2009-05-10 17:43:33

Phate666

I have the same problem as yodo. A few days ago I started a java prog (ps3mediaserver   http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/) and the screen freezes like on yodo's screenshot. Since then every hour plasma icons disappear and I have to restart plasma, very anoying.

#5 2009-05-17 11:48:23

javonera

Same problem with JDownloader (java application). It seems completely random if it's going to break everything or just run without problems.
I can't find logs for useful information on /var/logs. Any ideas about where to look??

#6 2009-06-04 16:38:21

turing

Found a solution on irc:

java -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true  -jar JDownloader.jar

No problems so far.

#7 2009-07-18 10:35:02

yodo

Hey, thank you! That actually seems to work!

Board footer