You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-08 19:36:34

renners1

problems installing with dial-up

Coming back to Arch after a long absence....

I only have 3g dial-up internet available, nothing else. I have another PC with linuxMint installed and got dialup working using wvdial.

So now I want to give life to an old laptop by installing Arch (also not totally happy with Mint!!)

Knowing that wvdial is not in Arch base install, I downloaded it and dependencies on Mint and can copy them to laptop on USB stick.

So I install Arch on the laptop, followed by wvdial.

Prepare wvdial.conf

run wvdial but get libreadline.so.6 error. So I download and install updated readline. (not listed in dependencies for wvdial!)

wvdial runs but cant detect the modem. It should be on /usb/ttyUSB0.

dmesg shows me that the modem is being detected when plugged in, but no rules are loaded for it. I dunno why? I suspect I also need HAL? (which is a cartload more dependencies to manually download and install!)

Also, because I updated readline, bash and everything else dependent on readline is broken.

So basically I need to update the base install to get wvdial working, but cant get wvdial working because base install is inadequate!

I know Arch isn't meant to be a newbie distro, but surely it shouldn't be this hard???!

Microsoft stole my computer, Linux gave it back.

#2 2009-07-08 20:42:10

djszapi
Website

Re: problems installing with dial-up

Are there any rules for it in /etc/udev/rules.d/ ?

Everybody who update the system, update readline smile Then need for pacman -Su once more time.

I think you've red this:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … ith_wvdial

#3 2009-07-09 03:50:27

renners1

Updated bash to get past the readline errors.

Realized I need a udev rule for the modem detection (confirmed by djszapi above! thanks) .... copied this across from Mint.

wvdial now detects the modem and dials. Hurrah!!!

but.... error starting ppp daemon, exit code = 4

I guess ppp needs configuring, I plow on.....

(PS doing everything as root for now to avoid permission issues!)

#4 2009-07-16 18:06:27

yvonney

I am trying to do exactly the same thing right this hour. :--)

I expect/hope there is a beautiful simpler ARCH way to do this. I wish us both luck in finding it! :--)

I was hoping there was some way to get connected with JUSt ppp/pppd which are/is in base install..... yes?

So, I was also considering DL'ing the wvdial deps etc. though seems like I'll get stuck maybe.

Any ideas?

I CAN connect fine with the wvdial.conf I have running on a generic linux mint/ubuntu type system.

Really want the magic way to connect with just a base install (ARCHBOOT or other) and then build up to my minimalistic ARCH coolness.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-16 18:08:29)

#5 2009-07-18 02:55:51

renners1

Ok, I managed to get it working... here's what I did in a nutshell (all the wailing and gnashing of teeth edited out!):

Pre-download from the arch repo's:

ppp
wvstreams
xplc
wvdial

(if using the 2009.02 arch cd, you will also need to download)

readline
bash

Install arch base as normal

Copy across the pre-downloaded files (I used usb memory stick)

Install them with pacman -U (do readline and bash first!)

Create your wvdial settings file (nano /etc/wvdial.conf)

(mine looks like this, will vary with service provider):

/etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 230400
Dial Command = ATDT
Initl = ATZ
Phone = #777
Username = cdma@catcdma.com
Password = cdma
New PPPD = yes
Stupid Mode = 1

My modem is a Huawei ETS2258 and needs the following rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/026_ti_usb_3410.rules

#TI USB 3410
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device" ACTION=="add" SYSFS{idVendor}=="0451",SYSFS{idProduct}=="3410" \
SYSFS{bNumConfigurations}=="2" \
SYSFS{bConfigurationValue}=="1" \
RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo 2 > /sys%p/device/bConfigurationValue'"

add ppp-generic to your /etc/rc.conf modules:

MODULES=(ppp-generic)

That's it! Now type wvdial on root and it dials up and works! I have seen lots of posts about dns tables and look-ups and stuff but it works for me without any further configuration. go figure.

Last tip.... running wvdial ties up your console session.... press ctrl-alt-F2 to get another one! (there are session under 1-4 I think.)

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Renners

Last edited by renners1 (2009-07-18 03:03:06)

#6 2009-07-18 12:48:07

yvonney

Wonderfully comprehensive renners!

So, Looks like with either ppp/chat and/or wvdial it's not a stright-forward or even sensibly possible task to:

Boot install cd and during networksetup have ARCH installer find the 3G modem.

Looks like one has to do a base install with generally either ARCH 2009.02 cd OR ARCHBOOT.

Then after the base install is done we can install locally our previously downloaded WVDIAL and deps, installing via pacman -U as you confirmed.

So, two thoughts.

1) I'll always be wondering how the ultimate gurus might be able to  get ARCH installed with a FULL fresh FTP install (ie. base install via FTP) with just a 3G modem.

2) (more attainable) IF it's possible/sensible to use ppp/chat  instead of wvdial   and how this is done. 

I've had very little luck doing tons of googling trying to find the config type files and method to do this.

many thanks and still of great interest.

It would be cool if installing ARCH base install via FTP with 3G modem was attainable, don't you think?

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-18 12:50:49)

#7 2009-07-18 13:29:14

yvonney

UPDATE COMMENT TWO: 'definitive'   The connection is fine as PING is working well, though I've forgotten or don't know WHY I can't do a pacman -Syu.   Looking for answer and will update THIS post when I recall/find-out. Thanks!

SO: I just needed to manually uncomment a server in the mirrorlist ....
--------------------------
UPDATE: (ISSUES of course :--)))   So, my inexperience has me wondering where to look first.

1) I boot the base install which has had the wvdial pkg and deps install INCLUDING bash 4.
2) I login via console
3) I run wvdial and in connects great
4) I change to other console and login in again ..... right?
5) I then go pacman -Syu  and I get error which mean it's not connecting to server.

So, that's where I am.   I thought it might be that I need the   ppp-generic in my rc.conf modules line which I tried. I put a   ! before sky2
Also, I commented out  eth0   everything there basically in rc.conf

Also I did get a bunch of code upon restarting which was like  'trace'  type code   so I'm wondering if I've got some obscure yet logical issue that I won't be able to figure out.

BIG question... is the udev code really needed? I didn't do that. I mean I AM connected with wvdial. I'll reboot back into the install now and try a ping and stuff.

Could it be simple like I don't understand how to change to another console....AS: I logged in in VC1  I ran wvdial   then I changed to VC2 and logged in again.... does VC2 SEE VC1   OR is that why I can run pacman ?????   hopefully! :--)

-------------------- written first below -------------------
renners!   that works GREAT.  I just copied over my wvdial.conf and it connected.  I installed everything you pointed out that was needed SO:  Getting around the libreadline.so.5 error I think it was, is accomplished by installing bash 4 it appears,  so thank for that. I had initially done an ARCHBOOT base only install FROM the cd.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-07-18 22:24:33)

Board footer