You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-19 08:17:58

onthenickel

[SOLVED] Installation Failed - package Not Found - when selecting ALL

Hi everyone,

I am installing Arch for the first time...  I have no idea what I need to install, so I decided to save time by installing ALL of the packages listed in the installer at once.  So I selected ALL of the packages, if I remember correctly, there were packages in the base category, the base-devel category, and also there were a bunch of packages at the end of the list which were not in any category.  I went ahead and selected all of the packages in the list.

I note the following error on four packages:

error: failed retrieving file '(file name)' from mirror.isoc.org.il : Not Found

I get this error on the following file names: (may include typos as I am not using copy 'n paste)

readline-6.0.003-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
shadow-4.1.4.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
perl-5.10.0.0-6-i686.pkg.tar.gz
usbutils-0.84-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

then at the end of the list of downloaded packages, it says:

warning: failed to retrieve some files from core
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Package Installation FAILED.

So... what does this mean?  Does it mean that someone forgot to upload some of the packages to the server?

Also, what implications does this have for my installation?  Can I ignore these errors, or has this caused a problem for the entire installation?

Thanks!

Last edited by onthenickel (2009-07-19 10:00:38)

#2 2009-07-19 08:29:38

loafer

Re: [SOLVED] Installation Failed - package Not Found - when selecting ALL

I think it just means the latest packages weren't on your mirror yet.  There have been quite a few out of sync mirrors recently, which has been noted in the forums.

Just try again later.

You can check the status of the mirrors here:

http://users.archlinux.de/~gerbra/mirrorcheck.html

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-07-19 08:42:58

onthenickel

Oops I should have posted this in the "installation" forum.  If one of the mods could move it over there that would be appreciated.

#4 2009-07-19 08:46:57

onthenickel

Thanks for the info Loafer.  However I checked that link and the report was last run 45 minutes ago, and it lists all of the packages for  mirror.isoc.org.il as having been synced between 5 and 19 hours ago, so that doesn't look like it would be the problem in this case.

Also like I said I'm confused by the error : "Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded."   I'm not sure what that means...  it seems to imply that there has been some problem upgrading ALL of the packages, not just the packages which had errors...

Hmm... ALL of my configuration files are completely blank, so yeah.. something didn't go right :-)

Last edited by onthenickel (2009-07-19 08:49:26)

#5 2009-07-19 08:54:56

loafer

The error just means pacman didn't upgrade anything because it couldn't get all the packages.

Your mirror still doesn't have the new versions, for example it still has readline-6.0.00-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz.

Try using another mirror.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#6 2009-07-19 09:59:19

onthenickel

I see, I see....  Yes I tried a different mirror, and I was able to install all of the packages, and I no longer have the problem that all my .conf files are empty.  I put in a feature request under "Bugs" to suggest that the installer be changed so that it verifies that all the needed files are in place before it begins downloading... it would save on bandwidth, and for newbie users like myself, prevent some confusion :-)

Thanks for your help!

Board footer