You are not logged in.

#276 2009-07-19 20:45:19

napsy

Re: The wmii thread

Hello. I'm having problems running wmii-3.5 and the same goes with wmii-hg. When I choose my session and login, the buttom bar appears but the keyboard doesn't work. If I go with my mouse pointer to the left or right screen border, the resize cursor appears. There is no font on the screen just the buttom bar and the background.

It's the same with or without the default wmiirc settings. The other window managers (awesome) and the desktops run just fine. Any ideas what the problem could be?

here's the output from startx when trying to run wmii: http://pastebin.com/ff3ec984

#277 2009-07-20 07:51:48

napsy

Well after playing with my system I noticed that wmii doesn't like zsh as my default login shell so I moved back to bash.

Is there a way to configure wmii to load properly using zsh as the default shell?

#278 2009-08-09 21:11:38

plurt

I'm trying out wmii, quite like it so far, but there's something that bugs me, not even sure the problem is wmii, but I'm sure wmii could solve it.

Whenever I open firefox, it grows the window so that the wmii statusbar dissapears. Also, in contrast to all other programs, there's no top bar either.

Any ideas how to tackle this? smile

EDIT: removing firefox and .mozilla/ before reinstalling helped. Not sure where the setting for these are kept and how to prevent it from happening again. Firefox problem, not wmii apparently though. Apologies for the thread hijack smile

Last edited by plurt (2009-08-09 21:21:31)

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#279 2009-08-09 21:22:57

kandrews

Have you tried pressing mod+shift+spacebar while hovering the mouse over the window?

#280 2009-08-09 22:28:37

plurt

yeah, and that works now, since I reinstalled firefox. It didn't work with the old firefox install/settings, dunno why

#281 2009-08-09 22:44:08

ataraxia

Firefox remembers the size of its windows in one of the files under .mozilla . So if you have a large window for it, and then switch WMs, it's easy to get the titlebar pushed off the top of the screen. Most WMs have some way of moving a window around with the keyboard so you can get it back on the screen without being able to reach the titlebar.

When you deleted .mozilla you destroyed this saved window size, so it drew it in a default location instead.

#282 2009-08-13 09:26:14

plurt

yeah, now to find the damn file, because it keeps giving me problems. Whenever the size is off, the mod-shift-spacebar thing doesn't work either.
Thanks for the help.

#283 2009-09-12 22:36:47

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

can you make a window get focus by writing something to /client/<client id>/ctl or something?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#284 2009-09-17 06:40:21

dw

hi, i've a question concerning wmii + trayer.

has anyone managed to make the statusbar not filling the entire screen and putting some kind of systray (trayer, standalonetray,..) in the remaining space? if so, how? smile

#285 2009-09-17 09:48:59

Lich

dw wrote:

has anyone managed to make the statusbar not filling the entire screen and putting some kind of systray (trayer, standalonetray,..) in the remaining space? if so, how? smile

It's not possible. wmii has no struts/gaps implementation.
Trays are useless in the tiling world...just use a script to display the info that you want

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#286 2009-09-17 10:04:39

dw

Lich wrote:
dw wrote:

It's not possible. wmii has no struts/gaps implementation.
Trays are useless in the tiling world...just use a script to display the info that you want

thx for the answer lich.

#287 2009-10-03 05:07:30

Dirk Sohler

Hi there!

I'm on the search for a conky replacement!

It HAS TO display a few lines (currently 15) at the same time. Does not need to be visible allways, but should update at a configurable interval. It's a status script that shows several informations. In the Conky file i used texeci calling an externel program generating the line. but it's no problem to generate the needed lines and redirecting all lines into a file.

The result should look like this (from file/output of the external program)

information 1     status 1
information 2     status 3
information 3     status 3
information n     status n

Any hints on this? (Maybe misusing dmenu?)

#288 2009-10-24 06:56:47

nephish99

hey all,
i have 2 monitors on an nvidia card, i can dual screens with the
DISPLAY=:0.0 exec wmii &
DISPLAY=:0.1 exec wmii

but i still cant launch an app in one of the screens.
Last thread i saw on this was kinda old,
can someone share a current how-to or post some info on it?
thanks

#289 2009-10-24 22:11:44

Pox

nephish99: I'm not sure whether wmii now has decent dual-screen support, but I know that a while ago it certainly didn't, and a project (i3) appeared that was attempting to address that with Xinerama support. 

Maybe give it a shot.

#290 2010-01-09 23:33:49

jobar

tom5760 wrote:

EDIT: I also made my own simple wmii Python config.  Check it out here http://github.com/tom5760/wipi/tree.  Its inspired by decurtis' Python config.  Feel free to check it out and play with it.

What is the benefit of this over the python scripts distributed with wmii?

tom5760 wrote:
wmiir xwrite /ctl bar on top

Wouldn't that translate to

call('wmiir' 'xwrite' '/ctl' 'bar' 'on' 'top')

in wmiirc.py? However when I add that to the file I endup with an unsable wmii - no keybindings working and instead of the bar a white strip is shown at the bottom of the screen. (call(...) is used to set the background, so I thought that would work in this case too, but no luck). Any ideas?

#291 2010-01-11 05:22:18

disturb

Pox wrote:

nephish99: I'm not sure whether wmii now has decent dual-screen support, but I know that a while ago it certainly didn't, and a project (i3) appeared that was attempting to address that with Xinerama support. 

Maybe give it a shot.

Is anyone able to clarify on that ? I seem to recall some mention of xinerama support in the hg branch, though I'm not sure.

I've been WM hopping lately, but would happily stick with wmii and it's ruby configs if only I could get a decent dual screen setup working.

#292 2010-01-26 20:48:04

rent0n
Website

Hi!

How can I open a terminal app, say vim, from wmii's menu (mod+p)?
I've tried to modify /usr/bin/dmenu_run adding "urxvt -e" but it seems that mod+p doesn't call dmenu_run but something else...

Thanks!

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#293 2010-01-27 01:11:25

Nate

rent0n wrote:

Hi!

I've tried to modify /usr/bin/dmenu_run adding "urxvt -e" but it seems that mod+p doesn't call dmenu_run but something else...

Thanks!

I'm not very good @ the dmenu stuff, but if I put
an executable script in a directory in my $PATH, then
the mod+p menu picks it up.

For example, create a script "runvim.sh"
#!/bin/bash
urxvt -e vim

chmod 755 runvim.sh
mv runvim.sh /some/directory/thats/in/your/PATH

Then reload wmii, and you should be able to press mod +p, and have 'runvim.sh' show up in dmenu.

There's probably a better way, so I'll be watching this thread.

#294 2010-01-27 10:07:02

skualito

rent0n wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!

Depending on the version of wmii you have, dmenu might not be used. Wmii-hg use it's own 'wimenu'. You can mod+p and then type "yourterm -e vim" or follow Nate's suggestion with a script in your path. One of the adavntages of wimenu is the history function, start typing for example "yourte" and then hit ^p to get the completion. It's handy.

Last edited by skualito (2010-01-27 10:11:03)

#295 2010-01-27 16:11:45

rent0n
Website

Thanks guys. smile
I'm using wmii-3.5 from the repos.
I don't know if this version is uding dmenu, wimenu or something else, though.
There's no a wimenu/wiimenu command and when I launch dmenu_run a different menu appears (at the top of the screen and with different colors).
I tried modifying dmenu_run by adding "urxvt -e" and this works perfectly for dmenu but not for the menu launched by mod+p.

However, if there's no better solution I will create those scripts! wink

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#296 2010-01-28 11:50:59

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

hi all big_smile i'm using wmii since 2 weeks, and i simply love it big_smile
i just have 2 questions which i cannot find answers to...

1) can i change view names? i mean, instead of displaying 1 2 3 on the status bar, i'd like it to display WEB, DEV and stuff like that (always associated with numbers 1 to 0

2) on my laptop, fn+F3 and fn+F4 combos works correctly (light up/down) but i cannot find the file where they're defined, since i need to define also fn+F8-10-11 for mute/audio down/audio up!

thanks all!

#297 2010-01-28 13:13:58

skualito

samuele.mattiuzzo wrote:

1) can i change view names? i mean, instead of displaying 1 2 3 on the status bar, i'd like it to display WEB, DEV and stuff like that (always associated with numbers 1 to 0

2) on my laptop, fn+F3 and fn+F4 combos works correctly (light up/down) but i cannot find the file where they're defined, since i need to define also fn+F8-10-11 for mute/audio down/audio up!

thanks all!

1/ You can change view names dynamically with Mod-Shift-t, from there you can for example name your browser view "web". For accessing it from another view  you'll need to type Mod-t and matching strings, f.ex "w" or "eb" or "we". You can also add the focused window to several views by typing a "+" in front.
Simply typing Mod-t and whatever from an empty workspace will create this view and focus it. My explanations might not be very clear but if you look at the doc/wmii.pdf it's all explained.
The thing is when you rename your view you can not access them anymore with Mod-1, Mod-2, etc... I think this is possible by default though with sunaku's ruby wmiirc, but I'm not sure.

2/ This is not wmii related. For this purpose I use actkbd plus some notification system, that display the volume changes on top of wmii status bar.

Last edited by skualito (2010-01-28 13:40:04)

#298 2010-01-28 13:49:47

rusty99

Check out the python layout, I found it the best overall for managing views, dragging apps to the next view and jumping to it, cycling through views etc.

#299 2010-01-28 13:58:47

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

skualito wrote:

1/ You can change view names dynamically with Mod-Shift-t, from there you can for example name your browser view "web". For accessing it from another view  you'll need to type Mod-t and matching strings, f.ex "w" or "eb" or "we". You can also add the focused window to several views by typing a "+" in front.
Simply typing Mod-t and whatever from an empty workspace will create this view and focus it. My explanations might not be very clear but if you look at the doc/wmii.pdf it's all explained.
The thing is when you rename your view you can not access them anymore with Mod-1, Mod-2, etc... I think this is possible by default though with sunaku's ruby wmiirc, but I'm not sure.

I don't want to rename views, i just want to output a name on the status bar based on the number, like this

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do
        cat <<!
    Key $MODKEY-$i
    case "$i" in
        "1") wmiir xwrite /ctl view "web"
        "2") wmiir xwrite /ctl view "dev"
        *) wmiir xwrite /ctl view $i

and give rules for my applications to open in such views

/Firefox.*/ -> web

this is just an example, it actually doesn't work...

#300 2010-01-28 19:10:02

skualito

Ah, I misunderstood you.
An ugly and surely bad way of doing what you want would be to add some lines in /etc/wmiirc like this

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do
                cat <<!
Key $MODKEY-2
        wmiir xwrite /ctl view "web"
Key $MODKEY-1
        wmiir xwrite /ctl view "dev"
Key $MODKEY-$i           # Move to the numbered view
        wmiir xwrite /ctl view "$i"
Key $MODKEY-Shift-$i     # Retag selected client with the numbered tag
        wmiir xwrite /client/sel/tags "$i"
Key $MODKEY-Shift-2     
        wmiir xwrite /client/sel/tags "web"
Key $MODKEY-Shift-1     
        wmiir xwrite /client/sel/tags "dev"
!
        done

But at startup you'll still have the tag 1 created, I don't know how to change that. Though pressing Mod-1 will make it appear as "dev".
Really this is just plain ugly, I hope someone will help you with a better solution.

Board footer