You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-20 15:35:19

beniro

XMMS and tuxnes multitasking issue...

Didn't know exactly how to title this message...

I can't start up tuxnes while XMMS is playing an mp3...I have to STOP the file, then I can load a rom, THEN I can start playing the mp3 and play tuxnes at the same time.  Why is this?

I'm running a PII 500, with 192 megs of RAM, onboard cyberblade video card, onboard via82cxxx_audio audio...Running Arch 0.5 with no updates done.

#2 2003-08-20 15:38:12

Jagged

Re: XMMS and tuxnes multitasking issue...

which sound system are you using, OSS, ALSA (with OSS campat?), ESD?

Nkawtg...n!

#3 2003-08-20 15:42:06

beniro

I'm using the via82cxxx_audio module, which I think is OSS.

#4 2003-08-20 16:47:31

dp
Website

if you are running aRts-soundserver on KDE, then it would be usefull to tell xmms to use it

xmms-arts can do this:
http://www.xmms.org/comments.php?show=P101

but i cannot build it ... it has a problem finding a header-file while compiling

-> in the INSTALL it is written it needs xmms-developement headers ... any idea where to get them?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2003-08-20 17:08:11

beniro

I dunno what that aRts-soundserver is.  I'm running a pretty bare fluxbox desktop right now...

#6 2003-08-20 17:42:52

Arielext
Website

dp wrote:

if you are running aRts-soundserver on KDE, then it would be usefull to tell xmms to use it

xmms-arts can do this:
http://www.xmms.org/comments.php?show=P101

but i cannot build it ... it has a problem finding a header-file while compiling

-> in the INSTALL it is written it needs xmms-developement headers ... any idea where to get them?

I have a package for xmms-arts on my work computer, will upload it tomorrow or so

apt-get install arch

#7 2003-08-20 19:13:31

andy

Let's leave arts aside for a moment :-) ...

the problem you have is about "succesfully" multiplexing. Jagged asked about OSS vs. ALSA vs. esd .... Now, I don't quite know about the multiplexing capabilities of oss (and even less of alsa). But esd has been designed to do exactly that : multiplexing.

I also run plain and simple fluxbox - no fancy KDE with its own sound daemon (arts - which I know even less about than alsa, but it may also "just" be handling the multiplexing part).

Anyways, I did a quick experiment. I configured xmms to use esd as output (Options->Preferences->Audio I/O plugins and there the output section).

With that setting I could first start xmms and then a game, and both would play sound ... then I switched back to OSS as output, and the game would play w/o sound. Now it seems tuxnes is less forgiving and not even starting when there is no sound available.

Maybe using esd as xmms output device may be what you want.

OTOH, some people don't like esd - don't ask me ... :-) ... and that's where arts probably comes in ...

#8 2003-08-20 19:17:46

Arielext
Website

esd has very bad quality and a lot of overhead
alsa can play more sounds natively, but most people run it with oss emulation (which is easier to work with)
oss can multiplex, but you need a soundcard with more dsp's

Since alsa will be the future of linux sound I'd go for native alsa multiplexing

apt-get install arch

#9 2003-08-20 19:49:22

beniro

So I should try to start up with the alsa equivalent of my via82cxxxx_audio module and see if that helps?  I will do this and report back.

I'll also fiddle around with my sound settings (both in my system files and XMMS) and see if I can report back some more info.

Thanks alot guys.  Everyone was very helpful!

Board footer