You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-20 02:17:42

Koonboi

[Solved] Shortcuts in Awesome3

I am clueless as to the syntac of the rc.lua file, and I am really used to my openbox shortcuts. I don't want anything difficult, I only want F12 to open a new terminal (terminal), and Ctrl+F9 to be previous with sonata (sonata prev), Ctrl+F10 to be play pause (sonata pp) and finally Ctrl+F11 to be next (sonata next).
But I am clueless, I just installed it a few minutes ago. So is there anyone with more experience that can give me a template of something?

Last edited by Koonboi (2009-07-20 03:33:18)

"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

#2 2009-07-20 02:51:34

ZeroTruths

Re: [Solved] Shortcuts in Awesome3

I'm not going to lie. Configuring Awesome will take a lot of time. If you haven't already, read the wiki, as it is your greatest resource: http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Main_Page
In there, it will tell you now to mess with key actions, mouse actions, widgits,  theming, and all sorts of other stuff.

I will give you some advice though. In the time that I spent messing around with Awesome (I learned that tiling wms are not for me) a trick that really helped me was splitting up the config file. Rc.lua isn't actually a config file as so much as it is a program. Awesome uses the Lua scripting language, and what Awesome is actually doing is running a Lua script, with it's own API. Back to the point, when I was playing with Awesome, I split up the file into different chunks to represent chunks of code and their purposes. I had rc.lua, menu.lua, keys,lua, mouse.lua and tags.lua, and imported them one by one inside of rc.lua (I was never able to get hooks working in an external file).

If your not willing to learn Lua, then I strongly suggest that you abandon trying to use Awesome as your WM.

Even though I didn't actually give you an answer, I think ths should help you overall in your quest of playing with Awesome. smile

Last edited by ZeroTruths (2009-07-20 02:53:15)

#3 2009-07-20 02:59:41

Koonboi

ZeroTruths wrote:

I'm not going to lie. Configuring Awesome will take a lot of time. If you haven't already, read the wiki, as it is your greatest resource: http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Main_Page
In there, it will tell you now to mess with key actions, mouse actions, widgits,  theming, and all sorts of other stuff.

I will give you some advice though. In the time that I spent messing around with Awesome (I learned that tiling wms are not for me) a trick that really helped me was splitting up the config file. Rc.lua isn't actually a config file as so much as it is a program. Awesome uses the Lua scripting language, and what Awesome is actually doing is running a Lua script, with it's own API. Back to the point, when I was playing with Awesome, I split up the file into different chunks to represent chunks of code and their purposes. I had rc.lua, menu.lua, keys,lua, mouse.lua and tags.lua, and imported them one by one inside of rc.lua (I was never able to get hooks working in an external file).

If your not willing to learn Lua, then I strongly suggest that you abandon trying to use Awesome as your WM.

Even though I didn't actually give you an answer, I think ths should help you overall in your quest of playing with Awesome. smile

I am not planning on using it as my main Wm, I have KDEmod installed, but I use openbox as my main. I am VERY content with leaving it the way it is if I had the shortcuts set.

#4 2009-07-20 03:22:13

ZeroTruths

Oh, heheh. Now I feel kinda bad for sounding pompous smile
Here's your customized code. Search for the variable globalkeys. This is where the table for the global keys are declared.

-- Quick launch shortcuts
    awful.key({ }, "F12", function () awful.util.spawn(terminal)  end),
    awful.key({ "Control" }, "F9", function () awful.util.spawn("sonata prev")  end),
    awful.key({ "Control" }, "F10", function () awful.util.spawn("sonata pp")  end),
    awful.key({ "Control" }, "F11", function () awful.util.spawn("sonata next")  end),

I would still suggest learning atleast some of the basic configuration blocks to get a handle of things, since I'm fairly sure that there will be overlaps between Awesome and KDEMod.

#5 2009-07-20 03:27:25

Koonboi

ZeroTruths wrote:

Oh, heheh. Now I feel kinda bad for sounding pompous smile
Here's your customized code. Search for the variable globalkeys. This is where the table for the global keys are declared.

-- Quick launch shortcuts
    awful.key({ }, "F12", function () awful.util.spawn(terminal)  end),
    awful.key({ "Control" }, "F9", function () awful.util.spawn("sonata prev")  end),
    awful.key({ "Control" }, "F10", function () awful.util.spawn("sonata pp")  end),
    awful.key({ "Control" }, "F11", function () awful.util.spawn("sonata next")  end),

I would still suggest learning atleast some of the basic configuration blocks to get a handle of things, since I'm fairly sure that there will be overlaps between Awesome and KDEMod.

Thank you. I am doing fine with the rest of the configuration, I just haven't gotten that down. I am learning, but it is also my first day.

Board footer