You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-13 08:05:31

Wittfella

Wireless seems to drop out after a period of inactivity

Updated two laptops yesterday to the new kernel with no probelms except I notice today that the wireless connections keeps dropping out (or losing association with the router).  The wireless settings all stay correct, and ifconfig is still up, just the signal goes to 0.

You can easily reconnect with

iwconfig wlan0 ap auto

but its kinda annoying. It seems like the connection times out if there is no activity for about 5 - 10 minutes.  If you maintain some traffic its fine.

The laptops have different wireless chips, one uses rt2x00 and the other ath5 (i think) so I don't think its driver specific, as it started happening on both machines at the same time.

Anyone else noticed this?

#2 2009-07-19 20:02:47

Theomachos
Website

Re: Wireless seems to drop out after a period of inactivity

Yup, same for me with intel ipw2200

There is one thing even more vital to science than intelligent methods; and that is, the sincere desire to find out the truth, whatever it may be.
Charles S. Peirce

#3 2009-07-20 09:15:16

Convergence

Re: Wireless seems to drop out after a period of inactivity

Have you considered using wicd?  I use it on this computer, and have had no problems with it.  However, to be fair, the packages on this pc haven't been updated for a LONG time, so it is possible that if i updated it, I'd have the same problem.  You didn't mention a wireless connection daemon, so I thought that I'd ask.

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer