You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-16 15:12:01

orschiro
Website

Some problems on my Asus EeePC 900

Hello guys,

I followed that installation guide and everything works quite fine except one or two problems.

1. I installed the ighea's acpi-eee package but my hotkeys still doesn't work.
2. I wrote the following into my rc.local but the directory does not exist. cpufreq is installed.

echo 40 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

echo 2000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

3. How can I use my sd card reader? I put a sd card into it and hoped that it will be displayed as a device in pcmanfm but it won't.

That would be everything. Thanks for your replies. smile

#2 2009-07-16 16:06:41

brisbin33
Website

Re: Some problems on my Asus EeePC 900

i have an eepc 900 with the SSD

1.  i installed toofishes kernel and acpi-eeepc-generic from AUR, my hotkeys work as does two finger scroll etc out of the box (acpi-eeepc-generic requires adjusting the config file...).

2.  using toofishes kernel (see 1.) does not allow me to use cpufreq... but that's ok with me; toofishe and others feel there is minimal battery life increase and significant performance decrease... i agree.

3.  i've never tried it, but i believe my sd card slot is simply /dev/sdb1; therefore you'll have to insert an sd card and `mount /dev/sdb1 /media/whatever` to use it.

if you'd like some nice-and-KISS auto-mounting take a look at skvm (there's a forum thread and an aur package).

#3 2009-07-16 16:19:48

der_joachim
Website

Pcmanfm does detect my SDHC card. I have to manually mount it by clicking on the device name, but that's fine by me.

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#4 2009-07-18 09:37:10

orschiro
Website

Thanks for your answers.

Since I still have some problems could you please tell me which packages else did you install on your EeePCs to get everything working?

#5 2009-07-18 20:28:40

jamtat

I'm having a few issues getting Arch running well on my 900 too. I've been an Arch user for a couple years now and have done a few installs, so it's not like I'm a complete newb. I've also read and followed the wiki article and read a few posts here on the forum. I tried the stock Arch install, using a USB stick, rather than any of the specialized repository stuff.

I've got the thing running well in text mode so far, so my problems are largely X-related. Haven't yet tried to get wifi working, but maybe I'll ask about that later. For now, X-related problems.

I want to keep this netbook failry minimalistic, so I'm trying to use dwm. No log-in manager installed, and I'd like to just stick with startx. So, with a properly configured .xinitrc in my user's home directory, dwm coes come up when I issues startx. I have problems with the mouse cursor jumping about a lot though as I use the touch pad. Double-click by tapping the touchpad doesn't work, though, but usually simply results in the cursor appearing elsewhere on the screen.

Also, if I switch from dwm to a vt using ctrl-alt-F#, I am unable to get back to dwm by pressing the expected set of keys (ctrl-alt-F7). When I do that, I'm faced with simply a black screen--no cursor or anything. What could be the reason for this strange behavior? I can navigate just fine between vt's using the relevant key combinations (ctrl-alt-F1-F8). I should also note there that the key combination I've always used to kill X under Linux (ctrl-alt-backspace) does not work to kill X and dwm--that's regardless of whether I'm facing the black screen issue I've just mentioned getting by trying to switch to a vt and back, or whether I just issue ctrl-alt=backspace from a normally-running dwm session. To kill X and dwm I've so far been resorting to the undesirable method of switching to the vt from which I issued startx and hitting ctrl-c.

Some of my problems may be related to dwm, I suppose. I've only used it a few times in the past, so I'm still figuring out how it operates.

Input will be appreciated on the mouse and vt-switching problems.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by jamtat (2009-07-19 00:33:18)

#6 2009-07-18 21:58:28

jamtat

Ok, the jumpy cursor problem seems to have been resolved by copying and pasting the xorg.conf file mentioned at the link provided in the OP into the appropriate directory and restarting X. But attempts to switch to a vt and back still do not work--as described in my post above. Also, sound is not working, despite some modifications I've made in accord with what's written at the link provided in the OP. More on that later.

James

Last edited by jamtat (2009-07-19 00:29:33)

#7 2009-07-19 07:43:57

der_joachim
Website

Like brisbin already stated: install Toofishes' kernel from its own repo (see the EEE900 wiki page), and the generic EEE-ACPI scripts. The latter are in aur.

As for automatic mounting, do a search on the Arch wiki for 'gamin', which replaces the more common fam. If you have it already installed, make sure that you remove fam from your daemons array.

Last edited by der_joachim (2009-07-19 07:45:15)

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#8 2009-07-19 13:23:28

jamtat

Switching back and forth to vt's and then back to running X (on vt7) is now working. Not exactly sure why--maybe the xorg.conf I copied and pasted? I also enabled acpi daemon and hal daemon (in rc.conf): hard to see how this could have affected that problem, though.

My next issue is getting sound working. I followed hints given in the how-to at the link mentioned in the OP, but that has not got sound working. And there appears now to be no /etc/modprobe.conf as is envisioned there: instead that file is under /etc/modprobe.d/, so that's where I stipulated the sound module. It seems to be loading since it shows when I issue lsmod. Opening alsamixer displays information on the soundcard as well. But so far no sound apps (xmms, mplayer) are finding the soundcard. A permissions problem, perhaps? I added my user to the audio group: is there some other group user needs to be a member of?

As for the toofishes kernel: I thought about trying it, but the how-to whose link is found in the OP says the generic kernel now works fine with the eeepc stuff. I've read input from several users in this forum who say everything works fine for them using the stock kernel. I suppose they may be using a more full-fledged desktop like maybe gnome or xfce, whereas I'm using a more homebrewed solution with dwm and the additonal bits and pieces needed to provide full functionality. I did add toofishes' repo, so have the option of getting that kernel if I run into too many obstacles trying the stock kernel.

Thanks,
James

#9 2009-07-20 12:02:55

jamtat

I've resolved sound issues now by following Arch's wiki entry for ALSA. I can't say for sure what the key step was, but I'd guess maybe installing the alsa-oss package and/or setting the right permissions on /dev/dsp. Anyway, that problem's solved for now. Got wifi working too, as well as the webcam. A few niggling  things remain: perhaps more on those later. All the main parts are now working on this netbook, and using only the stock Arch packages.

James

Board footer