You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-20 11:59:47

dptkby

Best way to apply patches to alsa-driver?

Hi!

There's been some patches for the E-MU 0404 USB and similar sound cards posted here at the Ubuntu forums. I've tried them before by simply downloading alsa-lib and alsa-driver sources, applying the patches and compiling, and they seem to solve my issues with the 0404 USB card nicely. However, now I'd like to apply them in a more elegant and maintainable way.

I don't think it will be very hard with the patches for alsa-lib; since alsa-lib is a separate package I can get the PKGBUILD and add the patches. But the patch for alsa-driver seems a little bit trickier. If I understand things correctly, alsa-driver is a part of the kernel in Arch so I'm not really sure which way to go about this. I guess the alternatives are either adding them to the kernel PKGBUILD or making a new PKGBUILD for alsa-driver. If I choose the second alternative I'm also curious about what will happen when I upgrade the kernel through pacman. Anyway, I'd appreciate some input on how to do this right. Thank you!

#2 2009-07-20 14:02:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Best way to apply patches to alsa-driver?

Patch the kernel. More specifically, make your own custom kernel package - kerne26-dptkby, or whatever - and apply  the patches in it. You can then install it alongside the stock kernel26 package.

#3 2009-07-21 06:27:45

dptkby

Re: Best way to apply patches to alsa-driver?

Okay, I'll definitely try that! Thanks!

Board footer