You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-20 09:03:38

nitindb

[Solved] Updating individual packages with Pacman

I came across the following blog post:- http://honestknave.com/2009/07/18/the-a … t-debacle/.  To what extent are these points valid?  I would prefer to have discussed this within the blog post itself, but there was no option for leaving comments.  When using Arch, is it recommended that you update everything and not individual packages?  Is there any best practice steps I can follow if I only want to update a single package?

Last edited by nitindb (2009-07-20 19:19:22)

#2 2009-07-20 09:07:04

Stythys
Website

Re: [Solved] Updating individual packages with Pacman

all that guy had to do to solve his problems was rebuild his packages with abs. he's just being a nub.

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#3 2009-07-20 09:11:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

To avoid the issues mentioned in the blog, always use "-Sy" with a "u"  i.e. "pacman -Syu" then "pacman -S <pkg>", and never "pacman -Sy <pkg>".

#4 2009-07-20 09:14:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If you run pacman -S <pkgname> you will 'update' only that package.

Alternatively, using yaourt (from archlinuxfr) as a pacman upgrade allows you to see what packages need to be updated and select only some.

May I ask why you would want to do this? The blog post states a problem with readline versions conflicting. No package management system in the world can save you from that, it simply is not possible when you need different versions for different software unless you update simultaneously.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-07-20 09:27:31

nitindb

@Allan
I always do a 'pacman -Syu' but tomorrow if I only wanted to upgrade a single package, you're saying that I should just do a 'pacman -S <pkg>'?  Doesn't this just install the latest package rather than upgrade?  If you already have a package installed and want to upgrade it, would it be best that I don't do this unless I'm an expert?

#6 2009-07-20 09:37:12

nitindb

@ngoonee @Allan
If pacman -S <pkg> updates only the individual package, I am now clear, thanks.

I just read the blog post and it gave the impression that updating single packages is asking for trouble.  I just wanted to be clear of the safe boundaries.

I actually do use yaourt and find it to be incredibly powerful.

#7 2009-07-20 09:41:47

Allan
Pacman
Website

In summary:
pacman -S <pkg>  == good
pacman -Sy <pkg> == bad

#8 2009-07-21 05:07:17

methuselah

Allan wrote:

In summary:
pacman -S <pkg>  == good
pacman -Sy <pkg> == bad

I ran into this libreadline.5.so error also..... but I ran into it in a different way. See, I use pacbuilder to upgrade my system and when it does a 'pacbuilder -Su' it pulls the PKGBUILDS from the ABS/AUR of the same package list that 'pacman -Syu' uses for an upgrade..... I remember that readline was the second package in a list of about 20 packages to be upgraded, and it broke my system the minute it installed readline because the remaining 18 packages could not be built.

I know it was my fault for using pacbuilder-svn instead of pacman, and fixing the problem was very easy to do with the Arch Live CD..... and like always there was the correct instructions to fix this error in the forums, and I even learned a new lesson about fixing Linux through a mounted partition with the Arch Live CD.

Last edited by methuselah (2009-07-21 05:09:18)

#9 2009-07-21 06:56:30

sand_man

I wish that blog would allow comments....There is no where in the wiki that says to install a package with pacman -Sy <pkgname>

neutral

#10 2009-07-21 07:09:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

nitindb wrote:

@ngoonee @Allan
If pacman -S <pkg> updates only the individual package, I am now clear, thanks.

I just read the blog post and it gave the impression that updating single packages is asking for trouble.  I just wanted to be clear of the safe boundaries.

I actually do use yaourt and find it to be incredibly powerful.

Updating single packages is asking for trouble maybe once a year or less than that? In the readline example, I never encountered issues, but some others did, and it was quite unavoidable if you look at the details of it. On the other hand, most of us care most about, for example, firefox and other 'big' packages, which can be upgraded or version-held for a while without any problems.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer