You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-21 17:42:19

knob

system crash due to ATI proprietary driver

Hello,

I installed ATI driver 9.6.4 from AUR and I did a "X -configure" which didn't worked.
So I took a xorg.conf made with "X -configure" for an open-source driver and then I did "aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf" like it says in arch wiki.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that it works but when I try to do "glxgears" or "glxinfo" my system crashes (this thing happens also for "amdccle" but not always).
Also when I modprobe fglrx I receive this message but I don't think it has to do something with my problem :

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/framebuffer_blacklist.pacsave, it will be ignored in a future release.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thank you,

#2 2009-07-21 18:07:20

Arisna

Re: system crash due to ATI proprietary driver

Hmm... The catalyst driver ships its own GL library that is supposed to replace the default one.  This sounds like it might be a problem with that component or an issue of it not being installed in place of the default.

That said, I couldn't even get X11 to start the last time I tried catalyst.  I switched to radeonhd and have been very happy with that decision.

By the way, you are correct that the warning message you received is unrelated to the driver issue at hand.  I just deleted that pacsave file to get rid of it.

#3 2009-07-21 20:21:07

knob

Arisna wrote:

Hmm... The catalyst driver ships its own GL library that is supposed to replace the default one.  This sounds like it might be a problem with that component or an issue of it not being installed in place of the default.

That said, I couldn't even get X11 to start the last time I tried catalyst.  I switched to radeonhd and have been very happy with that decision.

By the way, you are correct that the warning message you received is unrelated to the driver issue at hand.  I just deleted that pacsave file to get rid of it.

Yes, it forces you to do "pacman -Rd libgl" before proceeding with the install; i'll try to install it from their site to see if it does the same thing ...

#4 2009-07-22 04:09:08

kgas

knob, for your framebuffer... error please read the home page which details above the changes in the modproe related files. There is a separate thread for ATi catalyst also the discussions in the aur page says about glxgears. currently with x86 glxgears is not working with Ati catalyst.

Board footer