You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-21 00:55:51

virati

Compiling Sata into Kernel [SOLVED]

First time compiling a custom kernel. I've gone through the config process about 10 times now but never took the plunge. I did notice, however, that using gconfig I can't get SATA_AHCI to become a 'checkmark' which, I have taken to understand, means it'll be built into the kernel. Do I have to edit the config using vi or is there something I'm not getting/understanding?

Thanks.

Last edited by virati (2009-07-22 22:16:42)

#2 2009-07-21 01:18:36

Wintervenom

Re: Compiling Sata into Kernel [SOLVED]

It depends on something else to be compiled into the kernel (probably the parent that option is under) before it well let you say to compile it in.

#3 2009-07-21 01:33:45

virati

hmm. In looking into that I just realized that gconf is not saving/loading my config when I tell it to. It's flat out ignoring all the changes that I make. This is frustrating... Any idea what's going on?

Last edited by virati (2009-07-21 01:33:54)

#4 2009-07-21 03:10:47

eldragon

it should save it in linux-2.6.XX/.config for them to take effect

if you check the help for a given option, it will give dependencies for it

#5 2009-07-21 12:59:03

broch
Banned

I can't get SATA_AHCI to become a 'checkmark' which, I have taken to understand, means it'll be built into the kernel.

pretty simple
change
branch "serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers" from M to Y

In looking into that I just realized that gconf is not saving/loading my config when I tell it to. It's flat out ignoring all the changes that I make. This is frustrating... Any idea what's going on?

this should be invoked with root privileges, othewise user has no rights to modify files outside ~/

#6 2009-07-21 14:30:53

methuselah

virati wrote:

hmm. In looking into that I just realized that gconf is not saving/loading my config when I tell it to. It's flat out ignoring all the changes that I make. This is frustrating... Any idea what's going on?

I once had this problem of the kernel not building with the configurations that I would choose in the "make menuconfig", and it would always use the /proc/config.gz of the default .config (so it would build as Generic x86_64 instead of AMD64 and all of my other changes that I would do)

I found that this setting in the General Setup section would allow my new settings from "make menuconfig" to be used:

CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
# CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC is not set

I just set the CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC to not be used. (it used to be =y)

This way the new kernel26NEW package was built with my new settings and not the old config from /proc. All of the new changes that I made in "make menuconfig" were shown in the /usr/src/linux-2.6.30-ARCHNEW/.config file of the new package after it was built. (before I did this it had all of the old generic settings in that same file after selecting AMD64 and other changes)

#7 2009-07-22 22:04:46

virati

Thanks for the help everyone.

methuselah, that worked and now it's finally opening the config file I've been working on. Thanks.

broch: I can't get the AHCI option to become y (without going into vi and doing it). It only goes between a module and no. I can't really see what else I would be missing. ATA_ACPI and SATA_PMP are yes but everything else can only be put in as a module.

#8 2009-07-22 22:13:31

klixon

you are probably looking one level too deep in the configuration.
We (broch, i presume, and I) believe you have selected to compile the entire SATA branch as a module. To change it, exit the menu you're in and set the selected option (in the menu that appears) to y instead of m.

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#9 2009-07-22 22:16:24

virati

klixon wrote:

you are probably looking one level too deep in the configuration.
We (broch, i presume, and I) believe you have selected to compile the entire SATA branch as a module. To change it, exit the menu you're in and set the selected option (in the menu that appears) to y instead of m.

*sigh* I got it finally. gconfig is nothing but a pain. I switched over to menuconfig and I now see the option for 'Serial ATA(prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers' and have selected to compile into the kernel.

I'll mark this solved, thanks guys. As a side question, why does gconfig suck?

#10 2009-07-22 22:23:24

klixon

Probably because menuconfig also works on the console and therefor gets all the love.

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

Board footer