You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-20 03:59:39

Cheifchimp

org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot no <-- (action, result)

recently I have been receiving this message when trying to reboot using the xfce4 menu log out as a regular user, then dropped back to the xdm login dialog.

org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot no <-- (action, result)

As root, I no longer get the shutdown / reboot options, just get dropped straight to the logoin dialog.

Where might I find the cure for this issue??

#2 2009-06-22 01:28:31

jperry

Re: org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot no <-- (action, result)

Did you install policykit and consolekit? I think in Arch, xfce now requires those in order to show the shutdown/hibernate options. When I installed them, it automatically started working.

I think you also need to add your user to the 'power' and 'hal' groups in /etc/group if they're not there already.

You can also get gnome-policykit, which gives you a tool to tweak the policies, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Jason

#3 2009-06-22 05:07:42

Cheifchimp

jperry wrote:

Did you install policykit and consolekit? I think in Arch, xfce now requires those in order to show the shutdown/hibernate options. When I installed them, it automatically started working.

I think you also need to add your user to the 'power' and 'hal' groups in /etc/group if they're not there already.

You can also get gnome-policykit, which gives you a tool to tweak the policies, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Jason

Both policykit & consolekit were installed

Was in 'power' group, now in 'hal'

This was working for the first few days Archlinux was installed but stopped working after some updates and doing some xfce4 configuring.

Initially it stopped working for root lost the shutdown / restart choices then "user" started failing.

mik

#4 2009-06-22 09:15:10

Odysseus

I'm not familiar with xdm, but however xdm starts xfce (I think in your .Xsession script?) you should try changing something like "xfce4-session" to "ck-launch-session xfce4-session."

More advanced login managers like gdm and kdm do this console kit stuff for you.

I'm the type to fling myself headlong through the magical wardrobe, and then incinerate the ornate mahogany portal behind me with a Molotov cocktail.

#5 2009-07-23 20:55:05

ewtoombs

i'm having the same problem. I'm also in the power group and I still get that same obscure error. Even if adding 'ck-launch-session' to ~/.xsession fixes it, I still consider it a bug in poor error reporting. (Just how exactly was I to be able to interpret "org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot no <-- (action, result)" as "Couldn't restart: ConsoleKit isn't running"?) Anyway, I'm going to try what Odysseus suggests.

#6 2009-07-23 21:09:50

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Please search the forum guys... This has been covered over and over. Yes, you do need to edit the policykit configuration to allow your users access to the power-management blabla actions. So it's no hardware or kernel issue.

Good luck with that search function up there.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer