You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-16 03:10:39

darksky
Website

Problems installing packages

Hi all,

I just downloaded 0.5 and am having some problems with the installation.  I made it to the point where you choose the packages and decided to go with just the base (like the instructions suggested).  When I begin to install the packages, I immediately receive the following error:

error:  cannot resolve dependencies for "autoconf":
           "mawk" is not in the package set

Package Installation FAILED

I thought I may have downloaded a bad ISO so I did another download but received the same error.

If it matters, I'm running a Thinkpad T30 laptop.

Thanks for your help with this.

#2 2003-08-16 03:58:41

dp
Website

Re: Problems installing packages

-> check the md5sum for the iso-file ... so you can find out if you have a broken CD

-> i dont think the problem is with Thinkpad T30 ... i use Archlinux on a A31p and i know of people using it on a T30 and a R40 without trouble

... when you solved the problem, you can find "thinkpad", "tpctl" and "tpb" in incoming ... and i hope soon at least in the unofficial ... this will help you access the additional keys, the bios-functions and will bring you a OnScreenDisplay in X11

sorry that i cannot help you, but keep on trying ... arch is worth experimenting :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2003-08-17 21:31:07

darksky
Website

Everything checked out, including the md5sum.  I'm not sure what to do.  I've downloaded the ISO image from three different servers and I get the same error.  I tried the install on two other machines and received the same error, as well.

I really want to give Archlinux a try but I just can't seem to get it installed........

sad

#4 2003-08-17 21:46:13

Toth

Very odd. I recently did an Arch 0.5 base install on my IBM T22 and had no problems. Maybe check to see if mawk-1.3.3-5.pkg.tar.gz is located in /arch/pkg on the install CD?

If it is then I'm not sure. You could try adding the mawk package manually using the --root option to wherever Arch setup mounts the root partition it's installing to.

-Toth

#5 2003-08-17 21:46:25

sarah31
Website

an odd problem indeed. perhaps give the ftp install a try?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2003-08-17 21:50:11

darksky
Website

Thanks for the ideas everyone.......

Toth:

I'll check that and post what I find.

sarah31:

Good idea!  I didn't think to try the ftp install.......

By the way, sarah31, I checked out your website.  Very nice.  smile

#7 2003-08-17 22:06:33

darksky
Website

I tried the ftp install but received a "No matching ethernet modules found" error.  I'm not sure how to load them for the install.

Thanks, again, for the help.

#8 2003-08-17 23:33:38

sarah31
Website

did you download and install the floppy images needed for starting the install?

if you know what your ehternet card/module is you should be ablle to modprobe/insmod it when the modules floppy is in your drive, as instructed in steps one and two

here

thanks for compliment on the web site. i really woud like to do more to it but i am a slow coder and not a very good one at that.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#9 2003-08-17 23:42:56

sarah31
Website

sorry i just noticed this in the FAQs:

6.3 During package installation, pacman fails to resolve dependencies for package A because package B is not in the package set

Unless something is very broken and thus very likely to be reported by multiple people soon, you probably just forgot to mount your target partitions properly. This causes pacman to decompress the package database into the initial ramdisk, which fills up quite nicely and ultimatively leads to this error. Make sure that you use the ''DONE'' and not the ''CANCEL'' option offered by the Filesystem Mountpoint menu to apply your choices. This error should not happen if you use the Auto-Prepare feature; please report this as a bug

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2003-08-18 12:52:38

darksky
Website

Thanks, Sarah.  I'll check this out.

I also noticed that before you run /arch/setup, you can run loadmods /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and this will load the needed modules for the ftp install.  Of course, this is if you are using the CD to boot from.........

I'll get this going one way or the other.  I've been so disappointed with other "main stream" distro's that I really want a change......

big_smile

#11 2003-08-18 13:28:45

darksky
Website

Well, I was able to complete the ftp install.  Unfortunately, when I rebooted, it seems that Grub isn't configured properly.  It's stuck at:

F1  ??
F2  Linux

Default:  F2

#12 2003-08-20 18:18:22

darksky
Website

Well, I have a question about the bootloader.  Once I finished installing the kernel, I chose to install lilo.  I was told to make sure lilo was configured correctely by using the "Edit Config Files" menu.  I fired up nano and opened /etc/lilo.conf and it was empty.  I went back and installed Grub and checked it and it was empty, as well.  I'm pretty sure this is why I wasn't able to boot after the installation yesterday.  Is there a way to correct this?

I'm almost there.........   smile

Thanks for your help.

#13 2003-08-20 20:25:35

sarah31
Website

since i have yet to have tested the 0.5 installer i must ask if, when you were going through the install procedure, there is still a listing for lilo or grub configuration files in the file configuration section? if so what may be happening is that you are being struck by what i like to call the "no backtracking bug". what i mean by this is that if configuring certain files is option three then you configure all the files press done. say you want to correct something afterwards and you go back to do this. often this can't be done. sometimes this hits you sometimes it doesn't.

all ican suggest is that you go through each install step and if there is a lio or grub file in the file configuration step edit it there. don't step back.

just a guess though as i have yet to play with the 0.5 installer. apeiro may be able to confirm or deny this.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#14 2003-08-21 22:26:00

darksky
Website

jhujhiti wrote:
darksky wrote:

It's stuck at:

F1  ??
F2  Linux

Default:  F2

That looks an awful lot like the FreeBSD bootloader, which always seems to make a bogus entry.

You know, I had FreeBSD on this laptop before attempting the install of Arch.  I wonder if that's causing the problems with the bootloader?

Good catch!

#15 2003-08-21 22:27:41

darksky
Website

Thanks for the help, Sarah.  I'm going to try the install again to see what happens.....

#16 2003-08-25 19:03:40

darksky
Website

Thanks for all of your help and ideas but I'm going to have to give up on Arch Linux.  No matter how hard I try, I just cannot get it to run on my Thinkpad T30 or Thinkpad T23.  When I finish the install and reboot, the bootloader will not load and boot the system.  This happens with lilo and grub.  The latest install attempt went in an even stranger direction.  When I rebooted after installation, it gave me a "Missing Operating System" error.  Maybe I'm just not installing the bootloader properly?

My laptop has been without a working OS for about a week so I need to get something working on it.

Thanks again.   smile

Board footer