You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-20 22:59:03

toflames

Network Manager get ip but no connection to the internet

Hi guys,

I'm new to Arch, and first of all I must say that I think I'm going to love it :-)
Never seen a package manager so fast to install a lot of packages! And it's kinda cool to have everything under control.
But here is a problem I don't have under control : I've installed networkmanager following the wiki on my kde4 desktop and I've got a weird behaviour. Everything seems to work perfectly, nm-applet launch automaticaly and connect to my network. I can see that my wireless card got an ip using ifconfig and iwconfig show me associated. BUT none of my apps (firefox, konqueror, ping...) can see that I'm connected!
So I've made a little script to connect me by hand using iwconfig and dhcpcd but that's not a real solution since I use a lot of different wireless network...
So if any of you has an idea that will be nice ;-)

A little bit more about my configuration :

rc.conf :
#eth0="dhcp"
#wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 !wlan0)

I've tried with and without the # before the two interface without any change.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs crond hal kdm networkmanager dbus)

Tried with both !network and network without any change too.

Last edited by toflames (2009-07-21 15:46:36)

#2 2009-07-20 23:39:45

sand_man

Re: Network Manager get ip but no connection to the internet

What is the output of ifconfig -a
Have you read the wiki?
Can you ping any sites or, if you have one, your router?

neutral

#3 2009-07-21 00:26:47

toflames

Yes I've read the wiki, I followed every point to install networkmanager.
I can ping my router but I cannot ping a website or his ip :

bash-4.0$ ping 192.168.1.254
PING 192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.254: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=6.08 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.254: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.15 ms

bash-4.0$ ping 209.85.129.147
connect: Network is unreachable

and here is the result of ifconfig -a :
bash-4.0$ ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:15:9E:42:B0 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1     
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:16

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1240 (1.2 Kb)  TX bytes:1240 (1.2 Kb)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:EA:BB:CA:A6
          inet addr:192.168.1.65  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::216:eaff:febb:caa6/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:12665 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6824 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:17220131 (16.4 Mb)  TX bytes:691974 (675.7 Kb)

wmaster0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-16-EA-BB-CA-A6-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          UP RUNNING  MTU:0  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

So I did get an ip but using nm I cannot access computer outside my local network... Weird!

#4 2009-07-21 20:09:41

toflames

Another info, if I use NM to connect to an open wireless network (without wep or wpa protection) it works!
But still the same problem with my wep network...
Any hint would be great!

#5 2009-07-22 00:28:20

TomWitko
Website

Had similar problem with tp-link router on base install.  Fixed it by setting up default gateway on my router and pointing to it with

route add default gw <ip to gateway>

I used the ip to my router to get dhcs info to connect past the router.

Permanent fix after solving this was modding I think it was /etc/resolve.conf 

This allowed the network to get dhcs info to connect past the router.

Just noticed your doing wireless so might be different.

Last edited by TomWitko (2009-07-22 00:29:36)

tux-linux-t-shirt.com

#6 2009-07-22 01:53:12

alienman

OK this is what I have in my rc.conf

HOSTNAME="konoha"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 !wlan0)
gateway="default gw 172.16.5.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network crond hal !dhcdbd @networkmanager @cpufreq @netfs alsa @samba @stbd @avahi-daemon @sensors !laptop-mode @pulseaudio)

And this is part of the /etc/hosts

#127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost
#127.0.0.1    ignacio-archlinux    localhost.localdomain    localhost
127.0.0.1    konoha    localhost.localdomain    localhost

I have changed the host like two times and I remember I had a problem related to the NetworkManager modifying this hosts file so problems showed in my system and no networkconfiguration was detected. Try re-checking this file when you first login to kde and verify that it matches the same host as in rc.conf

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#7 2009-07-22 19:20:29

toflames

Thx to both of you for your answer!
I made little progress, I'm now sure that the problem is due to NM not setting up the route. After NM got connected, the only way I can get my connection working is by executing :

route add default gw 192.168.1.254

So I modified my rc.conf like this :

gateway="default gw 192.168.1.254"
ROUTES=(gateway)

But without any success, the result is the same after a reboot, I still have to enter the default gateway manually... And it doesn't look like a good idea to set up a route to a permanent IP as I'm using a lot of wireless network with different settings and of course different gateways.

I've checked my hosts file and added a line to match my hostname defined in rc.conf but without success too.

Here is my resolv.conf when using manual settings and dhcpcd :

# Generated by dhcpcd from wlan0
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
domain lan
nameserver 192.168.1.254
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

And here is the one generated by NM :

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain lan
search lan
nameserver 192.168.1.254

So if any of you has an idea to get NM setting up route that would be great wink
Anyway, thx for your help!

#8 2009-07-22 22:28:26

TomWitko
Website

Umm as for wireless there is aprogram called ifpluged I have used before that was pretty good for my laptop , that was in fedora. Also not sure but can you put all that info into the network manager with a default. My expeience with Arch , new user third day using it was just to get it up and running and needed net connection for the installs. Also if I remember properly there is a option in network configuration to allow net manager to manage networks.

You might be able to input gateway into the window manager for wireless connection.

tux-linux-t-shirt.com

#9 2009-07-23 15:40:58

alienman

Have you tried the troubleshooting section from Network Manager  in the wiki.

DHCP problems
If you have problems with getting an IP via DHCP try to add the following to your /etc/dhclient.conf:

interface "eth0" {
   send dhcp-client-identifier 01:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff;
 }

Where aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff is the MAC-adress of this nic.

Another thin, could you try by running NetworkManager from console

killall NetworkManager
NetworkManager --no-daemon

Last edited by alienman (2009-07-23 15:46:02)

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#10 2009-07-23 17:03:53

toflames

Ifpluged is for wired networking...

In fact this is not a DHCP problem, as I get an IP without any problem. But I've tried this too, without any change.
The result of NetworkManager --no-daemon is interesting, here with an open network near me, the one that works out of the box with NM :

NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 1 -> 2                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): bringing up device.                                                                                                         
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): preparing device.                                                                                                           
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): deactivating device (reason: 2).                                                                                            
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 2 -> 3                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant interface state:  starting -> ready                                                                              
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) starting connection 'Auto bbox2-d719'                                                                             
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 3 -> 4                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...                                                                        
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...                                                                          
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.                                                                           
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...                                                                       
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 4 -> 5                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless): connection 'Auto bbox2-d719' requires no security.  No secrets needed.                                  
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value 'bbox2-d719'                                                                                              
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'                                                                                                  
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'NONE'                                                                                                
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.                                                                         
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: set interface ap_scan to 1                                                                                                   
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> disconnected                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  disconnected -> scanning                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> associating                                                                       
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associating -> associated                                                                     
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associated -> completed                                                                       
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful.  Connected to wireless network 'bbox2-d719'.                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) scheduled.                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) started...                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 7                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Beginning DHCP transaction.                                                                                       
NetworkManager: <info>  dhcpcd started with pid 9392                                                                                                         
dhcpcd: version 5.0.6 starting                                                                                                                               
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.                                                                       
NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device wlan0 state changed (null) -> preinit                                                                                   
dhcpcd: wlan0: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.65                                                                                                               
dhcpcd: wlan0: broadcasting for a lease                                                                                                                      
dhcpcd: wlan0: offered 192.168.1.14 from 192.168.1.1                                                                                                         
dhcpcd: wlan0: acknowledged 192.168.1.14 from 192.168.1.1                                                                                                    
dhcpcd: wlan0: checking for 192.168.1.14                                                                                                                     
dhcpcd: wlan0: leased 192.168.1.14 for 86400 seconds                                                                                                         
NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device wlan0 state changed preinit -> bound                                                                                    
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Get) scheduled...                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Get) started...                                                                        
NetworkManager: <info>    address 192.168.1.14                                                                                                               
NetworkManager: <info>    prefix 24 (255.255.255.0)                                                                                                          
NetworkManager: <info>    gateway 192.168.1.1                                                                                                                
NetworkManager: <info>    hostname 'inflames'                                                                                                                
NetworkManager: <info>    nameserver '192.168.1.1'                                                                                                           
NetworkManager: <info>    domain name 'home'                                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) scheduled...                                                                   
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Get) complete.                                                                         
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) started...                                                                     
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 7 -> 8                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Policy set 'Auto bbox2-d719' (wlan0) as default for routing and DNS.                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) successful, device activated.

So dhcpcd is setting up the route as it should. But here is the result with my wep encrypted network :

NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...                                                                        
NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_dhcp_manager_handle_event(): Received DHCP event from unexpected PID 9392 (expected 0)                                            
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...                                                                          
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...                                                                      
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.                                                                           
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  completed -> disconnected                                                                     
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...                                                                       
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless): access point 'Auto SpeedTouchDBBA4B' has security, but secrets are required.                            
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 6                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.                                                                         
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 6 -> 4                                                                                                 
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless): connection 'Auto SpeedTouchDBBA4B' has security, and secrets exist.  No new secrets needed.             
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value 'SpeedTouchDBBA4B'                                                                                        
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'                                                                                                  
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'NONE'                                                                                                
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'auth_alg' value 'OPEN'                                                                                                
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'wep_key0' value '<omitted>'                                                                                           
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'wep_tx_keyidx' value '0'                                                                                              
NetworkManager: <info>  Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  disconnected -> scanning
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> associating
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associating -> associated
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associated -> completed
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful.  Connected to wireless network 'SpeedTouchDBBA4B'.
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) scheduled.
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) started...
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 7
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Beginning DHCP transaction.
dhcpcd: version 5.0.6 starting
dhcpcd: wlan0: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.14
NetworkManager: <info>  dhcpcd started with pid 9844
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device wlan0 state changed normal exit -> preinit
dhcpcd: wlan0: NAK: Lease is invalid. from 192.168.1.254
NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device wlan0 state changed preinit -> (null)
dhcpcd: wlan0: broadcasting for a lease
dhcpcd: wlan0: offered 192.168.1.65 from 192.168.1.254
dhcpcd: wlan0: acknowledged 192.168.1.65 from 192.168.1.254
dhcpcd: wlan0: checking for 192.168.1.65
dhcpcd: wlan0: leased 192.168.1.65 for 86400 seconds
NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device wlan0 state changed (null) -> bound
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Get) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Get) started...
NetworkManager: <info>    address 192.168.1.65
NetworkManager: <info>    prefix 24 (255.255.255.0)
NetworkManager: <info>    nameserver '192.168.1.254'
NetworkManager: <info>    domain name 'lan'
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Get) complete.
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) started...
NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 7 -> 8
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) successful, device activated.
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) complete.

It's easy to see that NM does not set up the route as it does with the open network...

I'm thinking more and more about posting a bug report about this. What do you think?

Edit : I forgot to mention that I was using NM on various distributions (ubuntu, fedora, opensuse...) without any problem on this network.

Last edited by toflames (2009-07-23 17:11:42)

#11 2009-07-23 20:42:44

alienman

Maybe, you're missing a package for wep, i'm not sure but seems something related to that.

But is seems very strange because it works just fine in my system, and I think I don't have anything unusual, it worked just fine since the beginning.

I have installed wireless_tools and wpa_supplicant and I'm almost sure you have them, so maybe some problem with the package, maybe search the forum for a related bug like encrypted wep and NM. And then maybe fill a bug report.

I hope you fix it soon since it must be an uncomfortable bug

An option could be to try wicd instead of NM as a workaround and later try again NM.

Last edited by alienman (2009-07-23 23:11:03)

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#12 2009-07-24 14:15:42

toflames

It's not wep, I'm sure. When NM got connected, if the connection is'nt working I just have to set up the route to get a working connection...
And right now I'm connected to another wep protected network without any problem. It seems that this problem is linked to my network or my router type.
I think I'm going to fill a bug report as it was working on other distro, but as Arch uses a lot of *realy* recent software, it may be a regression bug.

Board footer