You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 18:42:18

virati

initramfs-less Kernel

Just compiled my first kernel and I THOUGHT i had put in SATA, ext2 and ext4 support into the kernel but apparently that didn't work. I get a kernel panic saying it couldn't find the root file system though I have it pointing to the right partition.

I pruned a LOT of stuff from the stock kernel and I'm wondering if I got rid of something I shouldn't have, ie SCSI support (although I thought that would have nothing to do with SATA), IDE, etc.

I was under the impression that if I got rid of my initramfs I would boot straight into where the 'Arch' welcome message was, instead of having to probe each and every one of my SATA ports. That initial step takes the longest time in my bootup and I was hoping to get rid of it. That part is still present in my 'custom kernel', is that normal/unavoidable?

Thanks for the help

configfile: http://www.veritexx.net/config_try2

#2 2009-07-23 19:01:13

spektre

Re: initramfs-less Kernel

That was weird, I have the same problem with my newly compiled kernel not finding the root drive...
But all I did was disabling ASLR...

Anyhow *showing interest in more info about this* wink

#3 2009-07-23 20:24:19

broch
Banned

each branch in the kernel is prelly well described. It should explain all required dependencies.
1) CONFIG_BLK_PIIX=y
2) CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
3) CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR is not set

these are changes required (SR is for SCSI CD, which I doubt that you have so disable it) and it has nothing to do with boot failure. Not knowing your hardware setup, I would assume that the above should do but it may be more.

I think that you would have to read more to make custom kernel lean.

I hope this will help to resolve your problem

ASLR has nothing to do with initrd, I don't use initrd and have plenty of security options enabled from grsec patch.

Last edited by broch (2009-07-23 20:25:47)

#4 2009-07-24 20:21:46

djszapi
Website

I used earlier initrd-less kernel when i used gentoo, nice idea to work on arch.

Board footer