You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-22 23:34:19

drtoki

web browser scrolling lag

I experience somewhat of a screen lag when I scroll up or down on a web browser. It's as if it struggles to keep up with my actions. Slow scrolling or fast scrolling does not make a difference, although fast scrolling causes glitches in the form of random overlap in the visible area. I have tried several browsers - Opera, Epiphany, Chromium. The problem persist across all browsers. I have not encountered this problem in other places, eg. file browser, text editor, terminal. Perhaps it does happen in other places and it's just too unnoticable. I don't know.

I'm using ATi Radeon 9600 with xf86-free-ati open source driver. I have also tried the ATi Catalyst driver, but that caused other problems.

I have found on the forums a similar problem, but that user only experienced the issue on flash websites. I have it on all websites. Does anyone have a suggestion?

#2 2009-07-23 00:50:39

celtic426
Website

Re: web browser scrolling lag

Ah, you have ATI.  I was gonna ask if you had NVIDIA because I experienced the same problem on Ubuntu with my NVIDIA drivers but I never found a solution.  I know others were having the same problem too.  I hadn't heard about it with ATI tho so maybe there is a solution for you, but sorry I don't have one.

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#3 2009-07-23 03:30:40

brenix

I use to have the same issues a while back. What window manager are you using? Also, are you using a custom gtk theme?

I'm not actually sure what did it for me in the past, but since then i've used xmonad instead of awesomewm and a different gtk theme, its worked a lot faster. You might want to give it a try....

#4 2009-07-23 03:38:11

Square

Are all of your browsers webkit backed?
Does this happen with gecko based browsers?

#5 2009-07-23 07:26:14

drtoki

@brenix
I'm using compiz-fusion as a windows manager. I do not have a custom gtk theme. It is still the default from GNOME install. What do you mean when you say that it's wored a lot faster? Do you still have the problem but the effects have been reduced or was it solved? I'll look into xmonad in the mean time.

@Square
Chromium is the only webkit based browser I have installed. Epiphany is gecko based. Opera is presto based. I've also tried Firefox which is also gecko based and it has the same problem.

#6 2009-07-23 11:25:15

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I experience that with any page if there is no dri support (or if it is disabled).
Check the output of xdriinfo, if it says something else than no dri support (or similar) then I have no other ideas.
You could also try not to use compiz, it is know to cause problems sometimes.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#7 2009-07-23 13:26:51

drtoki

@ROOKIE
I have the following in xorg.conf -

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "glx"
    Load "dri"
    Load "drm"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "ColorTiling" "on"
EndSection

xdriinfo produces:

Screen 0: r300

I'm not sure what it's suppsed to show.

#8 2009-07-24 19:01:06

celtic426
Website

Have you tried it with Compiz-fusion turned off?  Because I had the same problem on several installs of Ubuntu using Compiz.  But the problem always appeared AFTER I installed Compiz.  So now I don't use Compiz and I don't have that problem.

Also, do you experience a short "lag" when switching tabs in Firefox?  Cause I had that too. and that would it is probably Compiz.

gods are fragile things.  They may be dismissed with a dose of common sense or a whiff of science.

#9 2009-07-24 20:05:07

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

For your card I guess r300 is correct. I have a radeonhd 2400 and I believe it should say r600 (when I use the drivers from git it does say r600, which is the series name for my card's chip), but even if I use the drivers from the repos and it says r300 then everything works fine. The only "special" difference I see is that you set ColorTiling on and I don't touch it.

I would try to disable compiz, like I have said before it is known to cause problems, as celtic426 confirms.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#10 2009-07-25 01:25:26

drtoki

Ah! Of course, I should have realized the r300 was referring to my video card series. Anyway, disabling compiz did not help much. Though I did see a slight improvement, so I disabled compositing altogether, which took care of the problem when I scroll down..but made it twice as bad when I scroll up. I'm confused...

#11 2009-07-25 02:30:33

celtic426
Website

drtoki wrote:

Ah! Of course, I should have realized the r300 was referring to my video card series. Anyway, disabling compiz did not help much. Though I did see a slight improvement, so I disabled compositing altogether, which took care of the problem when I scroll down..but made it twice as bad when I scroll up. I'm confused...

Woa...that is weird.  Sounds like the problem could be deeper.  I don't think you mentioned this, but has this just happened on just one install of Arch, or has it happened multiple times on different OS installs?

#12 2009-07-25 03:12:48

drtoki

celtic426 wrote:
drtoki wrote:

Woa...that is weird.  Sounds like the problem could be deeper.  I don't think you mentioned this, but has this just happened on just one install of Arch, or has it happened multiple times on different OS installs?

It happens on my Arch install. I was previously dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7 RC7100, both of which I have completely removed. I did not experiece these issues with either of those operating systems.

#13 2018-02-02 04:20:45

mapolidori

I have the same issue, but only when I install any DM. I have a Dell XPS 13, and I'm starting X from the console only because I'm getting lag when scrolling. Not sure if this is a universal issue or not. I've done a lot of searching. My only solution, at least for me, has been to not use a DM. I usually use gnome, and the difference between running it with a DM and not is mindblowing. It's like two different PCs.

#14 2018-02-02 08:46:07

seth

Dude, this thread is from 2009 - chances you have the *same* issue are zero or less.
Please open a new thread and elaborate on your issue and your setup (hard + software, no, we will not try to figure what XPS 13 HW config this might be)

#15 2018-02-02 09:20:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

What seth said.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22

Closing.

Last edited by V1del (2018-02-02 09:21:35)

Board footer