You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-24 23:59:26

sheldork

Yaourt, as root.

Hi,

Fresh Arch-user, been reading through the wiki and the forums for a couple of days now and finally my Lenovo S10e is starting to behave like I want it to. smile

Anyways, I'm affraid I just made a little mistake.. I decided to install Cairo-dock, and the way to do it was through Yaourt. I followed the instructions here (with the exception of editing pacman.conf instead of rc.conf):
http://www.cairo-dock.org/ww_page.php?p … VN&lang=en
I installed Yaourt and executed the yaourt-command to fetch Cairo-dock, the thing is that I was in su and used the --noconfirm flag..

My question is, should I be worried?

Last edited by sheldork (2009-07-25 00:00:17)

#2 2009-07-25 00:23:30

whoops

Re: Yaourt, as root.

As long as you're sure you can trust the package you're installing, there's not really a difference thaaat big.

If you don't the difference is: yaourt as user can't mess with root files that easily. But even that can do a lot of damage.

Just keep in mind: everyone can create aur packages. I could. Maybe I'll create one. I don't even want to do any harm, but I have to admit, just yesterday I accidentally wrote "rm /h*/f* -r" instead of "rm ./h*/f* -r" which would have deleted /home/f* if that folder would have existed. And it could happen any time again, maybe even inside an aur install script. What was you local username's first letter again? wink

Last edited by whoops (2009-07-25 00:25:39)

#3 2009-07-25 01:01:22

Wintervenom

whoops wrote:

As long as you're sure you can trust the package you're installing, there's not really a difference thaaat big.

If you don't the difference is: yaourt as user can't mess with root files that easily. But even that can do a lot of damage.

Just keep in mind: everyone can create aur packages. I could. Maybe I'll create one. I don't even want to do any harm, but I have to admit, just yesterday I accidentally wrote "rm /h*/f* -r" instead of "rm ./h*/f* -r" which would have deleted /home/f* if that folder would have existed. And it could happen any time again, maybe even inside an aur install script. What was you local username's first letter again? wink

rm -r /{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z}*tongue

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-07-25 01:01:40)

#4 2009-07-25 01:48:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

rm -r /*? smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-07-25 06:19:33

djszapi
Website

Hello sheldork!

I suggest to not to use yaourt, because of some reason. First of all, it's unsupported by the Archlinux Developers/Trusted_Users.

Secondly everybody say it's very very buggy, and this is true. They can't answer for your bugreport neither sad

Download manually, and makepkg -si, or try it with aurbuild.

And of course the best solution to learn the PKGBUILD making procedure, and before any install you can check the PKGBUILD.

Lastly, Trusted Users check the PKGBUILDs on AUR, they have got a good packaging skill.

#6 2009-07-25 09:50:31

gnud

Ah, if anecdotal evidence is the name of the game...

I've never had any problems with yaourt, and I like that fact that it uses the same switches as pacman (with aurbuild you have to learn a new set).

Yaourt is not supported by TUs and Arch developers because it lets you install other unsupported software, not because it will eat your kitten. Be careful about what you install. Always read the PKGBUILD, and check out the source array and the build function, before you build anything from AUR. This goes wether you use aurbuild, yaourt or build manually. There is nothing preventing you from hosing your system yourself, you know -- yaourt just makes it easier smile

#7 2009-07-25 10:26:34

sand_man

djszapi wrote:

Hello sheldork!

I suggest to not to use yaourt, because of some reason. First of all, it's unsupported by the Archlinux Developers/Trusted_Users.

Secondly everybody say it's very very buggy, and this is true. They can't answer for your bugreport neither sad

Download manually, and makepkg -si, or try it with aurbuild.

And of course the best solution to learn the PKGBUILD making procedure, and before any install you can check the PKGBUILD.

Lastly, Trusted Users check the PKGBUILDs on AUR, they have got a good packaging skill.

Yes it's unsupported but you say that everyone says its buggy?
I have never noticed a bug. Who exactly says it's buggy?

Of course you should be careful and maybe you should not use it until you understand how PKGBUILDs work.

neutral

#8 2009-07-25 10:27:30

arkham
Website

gnud wrote:

Ah, if anecdotal evidence is the name of the game...

I've never had any problems with yaourt, and I like that fact that it uses the same switches as pacman (with aurbuild you have to learn a new set).

Yaourt is not supported by TUs and Arch developers because it lets you install other unsupported software, not because it will eat your kitten. Be careful about what you install. Always read the PKGBUILD, and check out the source array and the build function, before you build anything from AUR. This goes wether you use aurbuild, yaourt or build manually. There is nothing preventing you from hosing your system yourself, you know -- yaourt just makes it easier smile

The only reason why I would not suggest anybody to use yaourt is because it is unmaintained.
Last update on the 8 of January 2009 and it has quite a few open bugs:
http://bugs.archlinux.fr/index.php?task … all&date=0

Anyhoo, most of the AUR packages that I use are self-maintained and I use aurcheck to check for updates for the rest; as for building, a simple bash function will do the trick:

# Aur build helper
function aurbuild() {
    wget "http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/$1/$1.tar.gz" && \
        tar xvzf "$1.tar.gz" && rm -i "$1.tar.gz" && cd "$1" && \
        vim PKGBUILD && makepkg -sc && sudo pacman -U *.pkg.tar.gz
}

I prefer to keep the folder smile

Last edited by arkham (2009-07-25 10:30:44)

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#9 2009-07-25 10:36:49

djszapi
Website

Yeah, Arkham has right too smile

#10 2009-07-25 13:07:04

sheldork

Hello everybody, and thank you for the massive response I got. The things I've heared about the Arch-community really are true. smile

So far I haven't noticed anything wierd about the Cairo-dock installation, so hopefully my system will stay alive. But I will be careful next time, take my time and read the wiki/forums/google before I act - like I've done during all of the other installations/configurations I made the last couple of days.

I must say that Arch is running like a charm, and it wasn't as hard as I imagined to get it up and running correctly. So here I am, at a train with even my mobile broadband up and running. smile

So, a huge thank you from Sweden!

Last edited by sheldork (2009-07-25 13:08:00)

#11 2009-07-25 20:19:33

djszapi
Website

No problem. Feel free to ask us.

Board footer