You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-25 20:23:37

evilgold

ipod (nano) related issues

I recently picked up a ipod Nano (8GB), I made a HUGE mistake and connected it to a friends apple computer before using it on my own system, and it converted the filesystem to HFSPlus. I wasnt able to easily convert it back using banshee or gtkpod, so i had to manually do mkfs.vfat on the second partition. After doing this the ipod will show up as writable in banshee. I am able to write songs to it, convert them, etc. I can also play songs directly from the ipod inside of banshee (and rhythmbox). However once i eject my ipod it restarts (gives me the apple logo and then language selection screen) and reports it has 0 songs. Plugging it back in reveals that all my songs are still on there and just not being accessed by the ipod.

My guess is that by plugging it in to the mac first it was formated all to hell with apple's settings. I'm wondering how i can get things back to factory defaults or if there is anything else i need to do to get this thing working with linux.

#2 2009-07-26 03:41:19

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: ipod (nano) related issues

evilgold wrote:

I recently picked up a ipod Nano (8GB), I made a HUGE mistake and connected it to a friends apple computer before using it on my own system, and it converted the filesystem to HFSPlus. I wasnt able to easily convert it back using banshee or gtkpod, so i had to manually do mkfs.vfat on the second partition. After doing this the ipod will show up as writable in banshee. I am able to write songs to it, convert them, etc. I can also play songs directly from the ipod inside of banshee (and rhythmbox). However once i eject my ipod it restarts (gives me the apple logo and then language selection screen) and reports it has 0 songs. Plugging it back in reveals that all my songs are still on there and just not being accessed by the ipod.

My guess is that by plugging it in to the mac first it was formated all to hell with apple's settings. I'm wondering how i can get things back to factory defaults or if there is anything else i need to do to get this thing working with linux.

Basically you're carrying around nothing more than a flash drive right now. You need to recreate the I-Pod file system. Did you try gtkpod again after you reformatted formatted the drive? It has an option to build the file system.

#3 2009-07-26 22:39:29

evilgold

Re: ipod (nano) related issues

Well i tried using GTKPod and Banshee to rebuild the filesystem, in the end i had to load a windows VM with itunes to get it working correctly.

Board footer