You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-25 21:54:13

_m_

Network down after first upgrade

Hello all,

apologies if this has been posted already. I tried searching but nothing relevant came up.

I installed Arch today for the first time on a VM. Installation went fine. On my first root login, I issued the commands as suggested by the wiki:

pacman --sync --refresh

which worked ok,

pacman --sync --sysupgrade

which also went ok and took its time and downloaded stuff and upgraded stuff and so forth. (the "downloaded" part is important).

Right after that though, network stopped working. Further reboots did not change the situation. I have a dhcp, and it gets IP, gw and dns okay, and from any other computer in my lan I can ping arch's IP, but from arch itself, the network appears as down. ifconfig gets my eth0 perfectly. route -n gets my gateway perfectly. resolv.conf includes my dns (but this is not an issue, I can't ping numeric IPs, not even the gateway). I tried reconfiguring /etc/rc.conf to get a static IP (and of course activated the gateway). Same result. So I am officially in a corner.

I even tried disabling the block on /etc/hosts.deny; no change.

I used VMWare; but on VirtualBox, oddly enough, I get the same problem. I wonder if I configured something in the wrong way, being new to arch at all, but I can't seem to find fault.

My warmest thanks to anyone that can provide help.

#2 2009-07-25 22:36:20

_m_

Re: Network down after first upgrade

I don't recall having done anything, but it works now. Oh well.
Sorry to bother you. Thanks for your attention.

#3 2009-07-26 06:27:02

djszapi
Website

Welcome to the forum _m_!

What was the problem ?

It can be the dhcpcd update too, i've experienced this, the new version of dhcpcd worked badly, and i changed to dhclient, and it works now well. Btw. you can use more application like wicd/network manager, but we are happy it works for you.

#4 2009-07-26 08:57:06

_m_

Hello djszapi,

I am not sure what the problem was. I know my way through a few linux distributions but this is new (it's not bad, even though it had a few hm-moments for me so far). What puzzled me was that network went fine until the end of the installation process. Then, tracerouting anywhere would reply with a 'network unreachable'. 30 minutes of attempts later, traceroute replied correctly. No clue.

Now on to understand why open-vm-tools won't have effect... package seems to be broken, but I should perhaps move this to a different topic.

Thank you for your reply.

I think I will eventually try installing arch on yet another VM to see if the problem comes up again, but I won't be able to do that soon.

EDIT: I shall point out that the VM is on dhcp now, and it works fine anyway. I would therefore rule that out.

Last edited by _m_ (2009-07-26 08:57:56)

#5 2009-07-29 21:07:42

djszapi
Website

No problem, feel free to ask us.

Board footer