You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 01:43:21

windtalker

openjdk, jre, Frostwire and Firefox

Didn't see a specific place to post this nor did I see it spoken about anywhere through search and it's not a problem I need help with.
I thought it might be helpful to others who may be experiencing the same problem/s.
On the current install I had installed Frostwire and it pulled in openjdk, which is fine.
I also use Firefox, which openjdk works fine with,,,, in most instances.
I'm a member of a game site called Pogo.com.
Seldom go there but anyway, my girlfriend wanted me to play against her in a game room there last night.
I go there, log in, try to go to the game room and Firefox crashes, rather flamingly,,, repeatedly.
I fire up the other box I play on with distro hopping and go to the same game site.
Firefox performs marvelously,,, with sun jre.
I had seen posts where others had stated Firefox crashes on them on occasion.
Out of curiosity, I rm openjdk and pacman -S jre.
Firefox works fine in the game site, however, now Frostwire won't start.
The fix for me was to leave sun jre installed and then:

nano /usr/share/frostwire/runfrostwire.sh

scroll to the line:

look_for_java()

just below that is the line I edited so that it reads:

JAVADIR=/opt/java

Save and exit.
Frostwire as well as Firefox now perform fine.

A few lines further down is the line:

JAVADIR=/opt

that is part of the search path.
One could simply add the /java to there as well if they wished to change back to openjdk for whatever reason in the future and leave the first line mentioned above alone.

*Note: I plan to bring this to the attention of whomever takes care of the Frostwire package as it seems a very simple fix to edit the run.sh before rolling by simply adding /java to the line I pointed out,,,, as soon as I figure out who they are that is..:D

Last edited by windtalker (2009-07-31 01:46:05)

#2 2009-07-31 03:37:46

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Re: openjdk, jre, Frostwire and Firefox

For openjdk6 and the Firefox crashes see FS#15550. Regarding the second part of your post (about Frostwire), /etc/profile.d/jre.sh appends "/opt/java/jre/bin" to your PATH variable and also sets JAVA_HOME accordingly. This script is sourced at login, so either logging out and logging back in or running 'source /etc/profile.d/jre.sh' in a terminal and then executing 'frostwire' from within the same terminal should work.

I'm the current maintainer of Frostwire in [community] and, while your proposed solution is simple and would allow Frostwire to run correctly when jre is installed and java is not in the user's PATH, other Java applications would still not function correctly until /etc/profile.d/jre.sh is sourced. Therefore, I don't see a reason to tweak runFrostwire.sh. As long as java can be found in PATH, it will work. smile

#3 2009-07-31 04:44:37

windtalker

Re: openjdk, jre, Frostwire and Firefox

Interesting and thx for the response.
Not intending to sound argumentative but I did log in and out several times after installing sun jre as I was already aware of the need to do so and it didn't change anything.
There may be a glitch somewhere due to my own fiddling around so I'll snoop around a bit.

Board footer