You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-02 16:37:17

nggalai
Website

GAIM and "away messages" -- not working?

Hi there,

Is it just me or do "away messages" in GAIM just not work at all? I set my status to "away", I selected an away message, I get this funny pop-up that tells me to either edit the message or hit the "I'm Back!" button ... but no-body actually receives the message if they contact me while I'm away.

Am I missing something here?

-Sascha.rb

#2 2005-01-02 19:52:28

skoal
Website

Re: GAIM and "away messages" -- not working?

I'm not really an expert on GAIM or Xchat, or alot of these other instant chat thing a ma jiggies.  However, I do know that in GAIM my away message works.  I get the same window pop up as you describe.

If you want to test your settings in GAIM, you can always add yourself to your buddy list.  That way you will show up, and you can instant message yourself, or put yourself as "away" and see how others will see you.  When I did that, I hover my mouse over my own name, and my away message shows up, whether it's the default or custom one, and it shows me as "away".

#3 2005-01-02 21:58:23

nggalai
Website

Hi skoal,

skoal wrote:

If you want to test your settings in GAIM, you can always add yourself to your buddy list.  That way you will show up, and you can instant message yourself, or put yourself as "away" and see how others will see you.  When I did that, I hover my mouse over my own name, and my away message shows up, whether it's the default or custom one, and it shows me as "away".

Well, I tried that, and that's the way I found out it didn't work for me--apart from the about 12 open conversations mostly going "wtf why don't you answer me!!!" after I went to have a bath this evening. wink I don't get the away message when I'm hovering over my name in the contacts listing, and none of my friends receives anything like an "auto-reply" or a pop-up or something when they approach me while I have the away message set up.

What are your settings in Preferences -> Away/Idle? Perhaps something's wrong there, on my end.

Or is there perhaps an "auto-reply" plugin for gaim which sends a message as soon as somebody pings me while I'm away?

Help is much appreciated. I don't really like to log on and off all the time just because I'm on the phone ...

-Sascha.rb

#4 2005-01-03 00:23:28

skoal
Website

nggalai wrote:

Hi skoal,
Well, I tried that, and that's the way I found out it didn't work for me--apart from the about 12 open conversations mostly going "wtf why don't you answer me!!!" [...]

What are your settings in Preferences -> Away/Idle? Perhaps something's wrong there, on my end.

Ahhh, yes indeed.  I really don't use GAIM that much, but here's a snapshot of my settings:

[URL=http://img24.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img24&image=screen10rh.png]screen10rh.th.png[/URL]

#5 2005-01-03 06:22:41

nggalai
Website

Thank you, I will give that a shot. smile

-Sascha.rb

Board footer