You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 10:36:01

Nareto

yaourt: recursive dependency checking?

it happened to me recently to do pacman -S foo, this showed me that foo had ~5 dependencies, so i thought ok I'll install foo, but then after installing some of them, the next one had like 30 dependencies of his own...

Is there an option to know from the begginning all the effective dependencies, i.e. if it will go check dependencies recursively showing only those that are not allready installed?

EDIT: as can been seen below, i confused myself, it was yaourt and not pacman I was using

Last edited by Nareto (2009-07-31 15:07:18)

#2 2009-07-31 12:44:29

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: yaourt: recursive dependency checking?

Are you sure you did pacman -S foo?
You don't have to manually install the deps.
You just do pacman -S foo
And it resolves dep recursively, of course..

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2009-07-31 13:57:59

Nareto

yes it does install them, it's just I would like to know at the begginning precisely what it will install.

Fact is it only shows the direct dependencies of the package, then it starts installing those; if eventually it finds out one of these has other dependencies, only then it prompts for installing those.

ehm, is it confusing as I'm explaining this?

#4 2009-07-31 14:10:49

shining
Pacman Developer

Yes, because what you are saying is completely wrong.

pacman prompts you for ALL the dependencies it will install, in ONE step.

Just copy/paste some output from your terminal to show us a real example please.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2009-07-31 15:05:50

andre.ramaciotti

Pacman shows all the dependencies for the package. What it seems that happened is that you tried to install a group, so first pacman showed the packages from this group and later it showed the dependencies for these packages.

(lambda ())

#6 2009-07-31 15:06:25

Nareto

oh, I am very sorry, this actually happened with yaourt building a package from the AUR. I'm using yaourt and pacman very much these days to install packages, so I must have confused.

So, is this possible with yaourt?

#7 2009-07-31 15:40:10

brisbin33
Website

I'm not sure how yaourt works, but i just added dependency checking to my aur helper script.  logistically speaking, it was _much_ easier to recursively find all aur dependencies, then just let pacman install any repo dependencies via makepkg -s.  downside being, you don't get an upfront list of ALL dependencies that will be installed during the course of building the package; my script simply says "warning, pacman may install package X" then only the aur deps are listed in the targets. 

yaourt may have found the same difficulties, and used a similar approach.  you could always write your own that does what you want big_smile.

Board footer