You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-21 14:36:35

rls

slocate in Arch 0.5

I downloaded and installed slocate using pacman -S. No problems. When I tried to create the initial data base using the command slocate -u, no go. The program, or bash?, complained about the group membership.

Sure enough the line slocate:x:21: was missing in /etc/group. With the addition of that line slocate is fine.

However I am in computer purgatory. Hell: something doesn't work and you have no clue why. Purgatory: something works but you don't have a clue why, as you likely escaped Hell using the MSMD (monkey-see monkey-do) technique. In this particular case the MSMD technique was to compare the /etc/group file in ARCH and Slackware, in which slocate was functional. By the way, Heaven-Nirvana is a state where something works and you know why. It is seldom, if ever, achieved by mortals.

So, my question is, Why didn't the installation of the slocate package put the appropriate line in /etc/group? Is there something missing in the package? Or are there concepts about /etc/group of which I am not aware.

Any intel would be gratefully appreciated.

Rick

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#2 2003-08-21 14:59:42

tyme
Website

Re: slocate in Arch 0.5

searching the board is good: 1, 2

in other words, this is a known problem.  for whatever reason the slocate package doesn't seem to add the necessary entries into /etc/group.  you, of course, also need to add whatever users you want to be able to use slocate (aside from root) to the slocate group.

#3 2003-08-21 15:35:56

Toth

Removing and re-adding the package should work also. If I remember right the problem only occurs when slocate is installed during the initial install. At that time, addgroup is not available, and so the script can't successfully create the group for you.  If you add the package once the system is up and running, it should be fine.

-Toth

#4 2003-08-21 18:47:27

rls

Many thanks to Toth for the explanation and to Tyme for for politely giving the good advice, especially since the search would have been easy. I will do my homework next time.

Regards, Rick

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

Board footer