You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-28 05:40:18

jcci

Some Applications does not Shutdown

By the time accumulating updates unfortunately I'm also accumulating some smaller annoyances. I'm using Arch64, GeForce 8600 GTS, Fluxbox.
Some applications does not shut down normally anymore and I can not tell any pattern (Neverball, Scribus, Mplayer). Once shutting down the application window freezes and one CPU goes to 100%. Killing via sigterm works. What could be the reason?

In addition there is no more functional screensaver on my office computer since the last NVIDIA update. xscreensaver-demo shows an empty frozen window. In case I let any screensaver start up, X is frozen and I must kill the process on another console.

Anybody out there has magic ideas?
Thanks!

#2 2009-07-28 09:14:10

jelly
Administrator

Re: Some Applications does not Shutdown

Downgrade or try to check what is going on, Check the logs in /var/ for something special then also try running the chrashing applications from an terminal. Do the crashes only happen with 3d apps ?

#3 2009-07-28 10:08:20

jcci

Thank you for the suggestion!
Very safely I have trouble with Scribus, Mplayer and Neverball. One has Qt, another sound and the last 3D. I couldn't find anything in common. Another point is that on my notebook I have none of those troubles. I rather suppose it to be an interaction with somethin else. At my office, my home directory is on a NFS mount and most working files as well. This might make a difference, but why not every computer with the same Arch does the same trouble? There must be some individual difference.
What actually happens during application shutdown? Sigkill from the console ALWAYS works, but closing the application in any "normal" way fails.
Starting from a console generally shows you good startup problems, but not so much shutdown.
I will check the logs.

#4 2009-07-30 06:18:28

jcci

One more application: VLC media player.
It seems simply to continue working although the window is closed. This might be a fluxbox issue.

#5 2009-07-31 21:41:59

djszapi
Website

Hello jcci!

What's the error output if you start it from console ? Or in xorglog, errorlog, syslog ?

#6 2009-08-01 01:17:37

jcci

There is no error message as the application works properly. Nothing is hanging or causing trouble. It just does not kill the process when quitting the application.
I just tried with Neverball started from the console: No error message, plays normally but the console shows the application still runs after exit. Ctrl+C finishes the application.
So it would be interesting to know what X is doing different when closing an app.
Checking the logs didn't give me any hint of the cause.

Board footer