You are not logged in.

#751 2009-07-21 03:54:50

hunterthomson
Website

Re: Share your Openbox Desktop ! :)

I will stick with OpenBox.

I like OpenBox's development philosophy of standards compliant and 'Rock Sold' coding. Allowing applications to run as the developer intended.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2009-07-21 03:58:46)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#752 2009-07-21 08:59:47

Kyle Carter

Do programs NOT work the way the developer intended in PekWM? Not trying to start a "pek is better than OB" contest or vice-versa, I'm honestly curious.

#753 2009-07-21 09:33:01

beatepix

Well this is my first install of Arch and this is what Ive come up with in the last 2 days.....and yes I know that my upload/download section of conky says mb/s....i wish it would go that fast lol.

screener2.th.png

screener1.th.png

#754 2009-07-21 09:53:36

hunterthomson
Website

Kyle Carter wrote:

Do programs NOT work the way the developer intended in PekWM? Not trying to start a "pek is better than OB" contest or vice-versa, I'm honestly curious.

Na, to each his own... just as long as you don't use windoz.

Well I can't find it now but before I read a page on the OB web site that talked about the goals of the project. Talked about how they just wanted to make a Vary well coded WM that was vary light, in size & system resources, and just worked quirk free. They also wanted to make sure you have control over everything and in a reasonably easy to edit way i.e. XML files. The whole thing falls right in line with KISS.It sold me

Now ya, not all window managers are the same. Some work faster, some take up a bunch of RAM or CPU, some are glitchy, some don't have some options and others are a pain to tweak.

Now, I have never used PerkWM. I bet it is rock sold too. I have nothing against Perk at all. I just like the OB teams goals for there project. Like, the OB team sat down and was like " Lets make a WM that just works, nothing fancy but it gets the job done & done well while leaving all the system resources to the applications that you are actually using." Like that is how they define themselves as a WM, "The vary well coded, rock sold, WM."

Last edited by hunterthomson (2009-07-21 09:57:17)

#755 2009-07-21 10:08:09

hunterthomson
Website

beatepix wrote:

Well this is my first install of Arch and this is what Ive come up with in the last 2 days.....and yes I know that my upload/download section of conky says mb/s....i wish it would go that fast lol.

Looks cool wink

Have you tried pcmanfm GUI file manager? I use to love Thunar but then I tried pcmanfm. It looks exactly the same as thunar. It is vary dependency & system resources light and has a few more key features that thunar doesn't have. Also, it works faster, uses less ram and dosn't have a trash can... I always hated trash cans. Thunar makes you compress every file in the trash can on the local disk (even if the file is on USB) before you can delete anything.

After you delete a 700MB move off of a USB key you will hate trash cans too tongue

Last edited by hunterthomson (2009-07-22 06:04:57)

#756 2009-07-21 10:17:30

beatepix

hunterthomson wrote:
beatepix wrote:

Looks cool wink

Have you tried pcmanfm GUI file manager? I use to love Thunar but then I tried pacmanfm. It looks exactly the same as thunar. It is vary dependency & system resources light and has a few more key features that thunar doesn't have. Also, it works faster, uses less ram and dosn't have a trash can... I always hated trash cans. Thunar makes you compress every file in the trash can on the local disk (even if the file is on USB) before you can delete anything.

After you delete a 700MB move off of a USB key you will hate trash cans too tongue

LoL ill give it a shot now and see how it looks.

#757 2009-07-21 10:39:19

Chokkan

hunterthomson wrote:

Ok, Here is what all day of conkyrc editing got me big_smile

AWESOMENESS

A day well spent in my opinion. Love that wallpaper too.

< Daenyth> tomkx: my girlfriend is linux
< Daenyth> srsly
< Daenyth> she loves the way I «make install»
< Daenyth> all her /dev entries are mode 7 for me

#758 2009-07-21 11:12:57

SpeedVin

hunterthomson wrote:

Ok, Here is what all day of conkyrc editing got me big_smile

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/512/ … bis.th.png

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9854 … ean.th.png

"Dark System Beta 1.7" Icon theme
"Magestic" GTK2 theme and GTK theme in QT4
"xfzen blue" OpenBox theme.
"ATER_Blue" X11 mouse courser.
I use "stalonetray" transparent and vertical in the bottom right as my system tray.
I just use the middle mouse click (or both right+left click) for my desktop select and running application tray...

Hello this is awesome workspace , I have question to you do you install cursor manually or grab the PKGBUILD from AUR , becouse i followed wiki and cursor don't show sad

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#759 2009-07-21 17:51:27

Kyle Carter

hunterthomson wrote:
Kyle Carter wrote:

Well I can't find it now but before I read a page on the OB web site that talked about the goals of the project. Talked about how they just wanted to make a Vary well coded WM that was vary light, in size & system resources, and just worked quirk free. They also wanted to make sure you have control over everything and in a reasonably easy to edit way i.e. XML files. The whole thing falls right in line with KISS.It sold me

Now ya, not all window managers are the same. Some work faster, some take up a bunch of RAM or CPU, some are glitchy, some don't have some options and others are a pain to tweak.

Now, I have never used PerkWM. I bet it is rock sold too. I have nothing against Perk at all. I just like the OB teams goals for there project. Like, the OB team sat down and was like " Lets make a WM that just works, nothing fancy but it gets the job done & done well while leaving all the system resources to the applications that you are actually using." Like that is how they define themselves as a WM, "The vary well coded, rock sold, WM."

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I don't often think of the differences in philisophical needs between users. I appreciate the well-reasoned response.

#760 2009-07-21 22:14:04

hunterthomson
Website

Kyle Carter wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I don't often think of the differences in philisophical needs between users. I appreciate the well-reasoned response.

tongue Ya I would not be surprised if I am alone in the boat of deciding which software to use based on philosophical needs.

Sounds so funny when you put it that way lol

#761 2009-07-21 22:23:23

hunterthomson
Website

SpeedVin wrote:

Hello this is awesome workspace , I have question to you do you install cursor manually or grab the PKGBUILD from AUR , becouse i followed wiki and cursor don't show sad

Thankyou big_smile
I have been just sitting and starring at my screen in satisfaction for a couple days now,:P

The way I set my mouse cursor theme is this.

I get it from gnome-look.org or I guess opendesktop.org would be better....
unpack the tar.gz and put the folder in ~/.icons

[cruzer@Linux-Box .icons]$ ls
!.txt      BlackStyle            GT2  Leeme-Readme.txt  Tracer                hydroxygen
ATER_Blue  Dark System Beta 1.7  GT3  The-Heavy         firefox-document.png
[cruzer@Linux-Box .icons]$ ls ATER*
COPYRIGHT  cursors  index.theme

Then I made the file ~/.Xdefaults and defined it in there.

#
# These are the default settings for X
#

Xcursor.theme: ATER_Blue

Last edited by hunterthomson (2009-07-21 22:51:21)

#762 2009-07-22 07:40:55

SpeedVin

hunterthomson wrote:
SpeedVin wrote:

Thankyou big_smile
I have been just sitting and starring at my screen in satisfaction for a couple days now,:P

The way I set my mouse cursor theme is this.

I get it from gnome-look.org or I guess opendesktop.org would be better....
unpack the tar.gz and put the folder in ~/.icons

[cruzer@Linux-Box .icons]$ ls
!.txt      BlackStyle            GT2  Leeme-Readme.txt  Tracer                hydroxygen
ATER_Blue  Dark System Beta 1.7  GT3  The-Heavy         firefox-document.png
[cruzer@Linux-Box .icons]$ ls ATER*
COPYRIGHT  cursors  index.theme

Then I made the file ~/.Xdefaults and defined it in there.

#
# These are the default settings for X
#

Xcursor.theme: ATER_Blue

That's strange i do it just like you said and cursor don't show (I got default X cursor).

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#763 2009-07-22 11:22:16

hunterthomson
Website

SpeedVin wrote:

That's strange i do it just like you said and cursor don't show (I got default X cursor).

It must be some little thing like a spelling error. Also, some themes and stuff just don't work.

#764 2009-07-24 22:04:36

wolfshade

My recent desktop:
2407091.th.png
2407092.th.png
2407093.th.png

Apps: xfce4-panel, conky, urxvt, thunar, pragha (my new fav music player!). I'm quite happy with this setup.

Last edited by wolfshade (2009-07-24 22:06:22)

#765 2009-07-24 22:55:12

droog

hunterthomson wrote:

Not trying to start a "pek is better than OB" contest or vice-versa, I'm honestly curious.

No worries, openbox blows. pek is better as is almost everything else, but for some reason its the cool kid wm here which sucks.

I have a bad opinion of the kind of people that use openbox that I keep to myself but so funny to see their setups and conkys. good for a laugh anyways.

#766 2009-07-24 23:00:00

hunterthomson
Website

droog wrote:
hunterthomson wrote:

Not trying to start a "pek is better than OB" contest or vice-versa, I'm honestly curious.

No worries, openbox blows. pek is better as is almost everything else, but for some reason its the cool kid wm here which sucks.

I have a bad opinion of the kind of people that use openbox that I keep to myself but so funny to see their setups and conkys. good for a laugh anyways.

I never said
"""
"""

Kyle said that. Read before you comment cool guy wink

Last edited by hunterthomson (2009-07-24 23:04:37)

#767 2009-07-24 23:02:55

k.mandla
Website

droog wrote:
hunterthomson wrote:

Tsk, tsk. Such negativity.

tMjE2ZQ

Nothing much to say. Openbox, wbar, the standard fare. Home-grown wallpaper, a personal OB and matching GTK theme I threw together a few months ago. The carrier is a 1Ghz Pentium III with 512Mb of PC133, 7200rpm 60Gb hard drive, and so forth.

Linux user No. 409907

#768 2009-07-24 23:07:49

droog

k.mandla wrote:
droog wrote:
hunterthomson wrote:

Tsk, tsk. Such negativity.

http://omploader.org/tMjE2ZQ

Nothing much to say. Openbox, wbar, the standard fare. Home-grown wallpaper, a personal OB and matching GTK theme I threw together a few months ago. The carrier is a 1Ghz Pentium III with 512Mb of PC133, 7200rpm 60Gb hard drive, and so forth.

Haha!  you guys know I'm joking, but there is a kind of generic openbox/conky setup that is specific to arch that gets old really fast.

I love most minimal openbox setups as much as everyone else.

Last edited by droog (2009-07-24 23:30:44)

#769 2009-07-31 22:53:41

K0tuk

Here is mine:

Clear:
clearx.png

Busy:
busyt.png

#770 2009-08-01 07:08:15

the dsc

Lots of interesting set ups here.

My own does not have anything fancy, essentially just fbpanel autohide, and a "screensaver-like wallpaper changing script", which will, after 3 minutes without moving the mouse, pick a random image from folder with thousands of images and make it the wallpaper (best fit). But it does not work quite as good as I'd like, some mess with manually stopping it and restarting, and I think it does not recognize the tablet pen the same way as mouse movement, as I'd like. I also plan to eventually make it download automatically new wallpapers from national geographic and APOD, and prioritize these new ones on the random sorting. And I should also make it recognize that mplayer or some other potential movie player is running and disable X's screensaver.

Besides that, the fancier thing I have is this obmpc pipe menu, a menu to control mpd via pipe menu. And I'd like to make a question about it, seems that some people use it too -- does the song list work properly, listing the song names? For me the list is there, but instead of song names, there are just a few blank spaces. I can select some blank space and go to its "respective" song... I think that either the script has something wrong which I can notice (I can't understand nothing in the line that "figures" the song list names) or my mpd/mpc configuration is wrong, somehow. Anyone has an idea of what it might be?

Ah, another question, related. Is it normal to have 3 mpd processes with this script?

Anyway, my tiny frankensteinesque monster, I don't know to program anything for real, this was made from different parts of different scripts I saw around the internet, mostly in "linux forums" and "linux questions", if I recall. It's actually composed of two scripts, one is the "screensaver" and other actually picks a random wallpaper.

This is the "screensaver":

#!/bin/bash
# mouseup rm200702018
# A script [originally] for testing user activity on mouse
# and shutting down if none - adapted to work as a
# screensaver-like wallpaper-changer. Should run
# in the background.

TIME=3m #set time between checks, "m" suffix for minutes

until ((1==2)) 
do

# The original script used "grep 12" to find the mouse; it
# wasn't working for me. I've found this number 21 inferring
# from the output of "cat /proc/interrupts" on command line.

MOUSE1=$(awk '/21:/ { print $2; }' /proc/interrupts)

echo "`date` MOUSE1 equals $MOUSE1" >> log.txt

sleep $TIME

# Same caveat as previously mentioned, may have to adjust
# the number on "grep".

MOUSE2=$(awk '/21:/ { print $2; }' /proc/interrupts)

echo "`date` MOUSE2 equals $MOUSE2" >> log.txt

if [ $MOUSE1 -eq $MOUSE2 ] ; then
echo "`date` changing wallpaper" >> log.txt
~/wallpapers/./randomwallpaper
fi
done

# End of script

And this applies a random wallpaper:

# the next part was supposed to verify whether the  slideshow
# is running or not, runs it, if it is not - useful to reactivate the
# slideshow automatically whenever the user requests a 
# random wallpaper via keybind or rootmenu (not working
# now, it but does not affect the overall functioning of the scripts) 

if [ ! -f ~/.slideshowon ]
then
    ~/wallpapers/./wallpaperslideshow
else

# The messy randomization process:

maindir=~/wallpapers/images

subdir=$(find ${maindir}/* -type d)
subd=($subdir)
numsub=${#subd[*]}

n=$RANDOM%numsub

#echo ${subd[$((n))]}

Background=$(find ${subd[$((n))]} -iname '*')
background=($Background)                # Read into array variable.
num_background=${#background[*]}        # Count how many elements.
a=$RANDOM%num_background

# the following sequence is not strictly necessary, just helps 
# keeping track of the recent wallpapers 

rm ~/wallpapers/old/*
mv ~/wallpapers/last/* ~/wallpapers/old/
mv ~/wallpapers/current/* ~/wallpapers/last/
ln -s ${background[$((a))]} ~/wallpapers/current/

echo ${background[$((a))]} >> ~/wallpapers/wphistory

# Actually sets the wallpaper:

Esetroot -fit "${background[$((a))]}">> ~/wallpapers/wphistory2 

# This might be useful if you use xdkcal, but in my experience it only needs to be "huped" once, on the startup script (xinitrc or equivalent):

#pkill -HUP xdkcal

fi

Currently it has the following "structure":

~/wallpapers/   <==  both scritps go here

~/wallpapers/images/   <==  root folder for the subfolders with images. Images on the root folder won't be used, they got to be in any subfolder there. I think a symlink to a folder does not work, but symlinks to images within a real folder do work. If for some reason you want to prioritize some wallpapers over others, some wallpapers like this, or this one, as I do, you just create a folder with these, and not many more. And not way many more subfolders too. The way it works is that it first picks a random subfolder, and then, within that subfolder, a random file. If there are six subfolders, five with many images and one with just a few, these are more likely to show more often.

~/wallpapers/current - a symlink to the current image, just in case you see some wallpaper and wonder "Hey, cool wallpaper, I really got to suggest it to someone", or "WT...? What this image is doing there?", or whatever.

~/wallpapers/last - the previous wallpaper

~/wallpapers/old - the antipenultimate one.

This is mostly useless and can easily be stripped off, if for some reason it's not worthy.

Ah, yeah, and the file names for the images, and probably the folders too, can't have spaces sad

It does not download wallpapers from APOD and NG yet, but I've found scripts that do, I just don't remember where. I guess the one that downloads from the NG does not work anymore, and I was not able to adjust it. But the other did, the last time I checked smile

Credits, sort of:

The "screensaver" part was adapted mainly from this topic on "linux questions", the other one  was manly from things I've learnt on "linux forums".

Last edited by the dsc (2009-08-01 07:17:34)

#771 2009-08-01 07:26:42

the dsc

I think that, once I eventually fix that obmpc thing I've mentioned, there are only three things left for a perfect openbox desktop for me:

- to have a clock on the titlebars, or just in the active one (I picture it on the right, just a bit to the left of the shade, minimize, restore and close buttons);

- to have some sort of alternative for the system tray, maybe a pipe menu (I think that there is a python script somewhere that does something similar), hopefully just as functional as a system tray, but I guess the constraints of OB menus make it unlikely;

- Bar Rafaeli marrying me.

So I could get rid forever of fbpanel or anything like it, having a pure OB desktop.

#772 2009-08-01 18:02:30

Renan Birck
Website

tMjJ2Ng

Openbox, lxpanel, conky (this is the setup I use: http://pastebin.com/f6c5e2767).

Nothing fancy, really. Most of the operations are done via keyboard shortcuts...

Last edited by Renan Birck (2009-08-01 18:04:02)

#773 2009-08-02 02:39:21

hunterthomson
Website

The dsc: I like your little wallpaper application. How about this though.

Instead of moving around the pictures to different folders. Have it work with two word lists in txt files "new" & "used"

Before doing anything, have the script check to see if the "new" list is empty . If it is then have it move all the names from the list "used" to the list "new" so it starts over.

Have the script make a list of all the file names in the wallpaper folder and name the list "Really-new"
Then have it remove all the names in the file "new"&"used" form the list "Realy-new". THEN add all the new names form the list "Really-new" to the list "new". This way it doesn't add the same names multiple times to the list.
-
Then have it add the wallpaper name to the list of "used" when it is going to use that wallpaper and remove the name from the list "new".
-
Also have it phrase the name of the wallpaper that your going to use with the format    "/full/path/to/$wallpaper"
-
Then after the name of the wallpaper file has been phrased with the full path and "Quotes" it will then work for "wallpaper names with spaces"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Or how about this. Wright this application in Python.

import random

Have it make a list of all the files in the folder /path/to/wallpaper
-
Then use random to generate a random number between 1and the #of elements in the list.
-
Then select the element form the list with that random # and make it a variable $wallpaper
-
Then have it phrase the file name "/full/path/to/$wallpaper" and make it a variable $wallpaper-path
-
Then run the command     wallpaper set command $wallpaper-path

This will reuses some names but it is a lot smaller of an application and will be random.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Or how about this.

You could use the application     feh    which has a slide show setting so it will randomly select a wallpaper form the directory you tell it.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2009-08-02 03:02:09)

#774 2009-08-02 15:53:56

calle

hey there,
so this is my desktop, which i'm quite happy with now.

openbox_scrot_thmb.png
http://files.siberie.de/openbox_scrot.png

the pypanel configuration:

VERSION = 2.4

BG_COLOR    = "0x333333"
TASK_COLOR      = "0xece9e2"
FOCUSED_COLOR   = "0xa9c76c"
SHADED_COLOR    = "0xece9e2"
MINIMIZED_COLOR = "0xece9e2"
DESKTOP_COLOR   = "0xece9e2"
CLOCK_COLOR    = "0xece9e2"
#LINE_COLOR    = "0xece9e2"
LINE_COLOR    = "0xffffff"

TASK_SHADOW_COLOR    = "0xFFFFFF"
FOCUSED_SHADOW_COLOR    = "0xFFFFFF"
SHADED_SHADOW_COLOR    = "0xFFFFFF"
MINIMIZED_SHADOW_COLOR    = "0xFFFFFF" 
DESKTOP_SHADOW_COLOR    = "0xFFFFFF"
CLOCK_SHADOW_COLOR    = "0xFFFFFF"

P_LOCATION    = 1        # panel placement: 0 = top, 1 = bottom
P_WIDTH        = 1240        # panel width: 0 = full screen width
P_START        = 20        # starting X coordinate of the panel
P_SPACER    = 15        # spacing between panel objects
P_HEIGHT    = 28
P_L_BUFF        = 11
P_R_BUFF        = 11
P_T_BUFF        = 5
P_B_BUFF        = 5

I_HEIGHT    = 24        # application icon height
I_WIDTH        = 24        # application icon Width 
APPL_I_HEIGHT    = 24        # application launcher icon height
APPL_I_WIDTH    = 29        # application launcher icon width
TRAY_I_HEIGHT    = 24        # system tray icon height
TRAY_I_WIDTH    = 24        # system tray icon width

CLOCK_FORMAT    = "%a, %d. %b %Y // %H:%M"
CLOCK_DELAY    = 20

HIDE_LIST    = ["sonata"]
HIDDEN_SIZE     = 2

FONT        = "sans:size=9"

ICON_LIST   = {
        "default" : "",
        "urxvt" : "/home/kalle/.icons/termicon_short.png",
        "Shiretoko" : "/home/kalle/.icons/inet_short.png",
        "Sonata" : "/home/kalle/.icons/music_short.png",    
          }
SHOWALL        = 0        # show windows from all desktops
SHOWMINIMIZED    = 0        # only show minimized windows
SHADE        = 0

ABOVE        = 1        # panel is always above other apps
APPICONS    = 1        # show application icons
AUTOHIDE    = 0        # autohide uses the CLOCK_DELAY timer above
SHADOWS        = 0        # show text shadows
SHOWLINES    = 0        # show object seperation lines
SHOWBORDER    = 1        # show a border around the panel

DESKTOP_NAMES    = []

LAUNCH_LIST = [
#("xdotool key ctrl+m", "/home/kalle/.icons/arch.png"),
("urxvt", "/home/kalle/.icons/termicon.png"),
("thunar", "/home/kalle/.icons/filebrowser.png"),
#("uzbl_tabbed.py", "/home/kalle/.icons/inet.png"),
("firefox", "/home/kalle/.icons/inet.png"),
("sonata", "/home/kalle/.icons/music.png"),
#("vlc", "/home/kalle/.icons/vlc.png"),
] 

# Order

DESKTOP        = 1
TASKS        = 3
CLOCK        = 5
TRAY        = 4
LAUNCHER    = 2

def desktopButtonEvent(pp, button):
    pass

def taskButtonEvent(pp, button, task):
    if button == 1:
        pp.taskFocus(task)
    elif button == 2:
        task.obj.destroy()
    elif button == 3:
        pp.toggleShade(task)
    elif button == 4:
        pp.taskRaise(task, focus=1)
    elif button == 5:
        pp.taskLower(task, focus=0)

def clockButtonEvent(pp, button):
    pp.showDesktop()

def panelButtonEvent(pp, button):
    pass

autostart.sh :

#set keyboard layout to german
setxkbmap -layout de &&
#kill the xserver by ctrl+alt+backspace
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
#bind keys for controlling music  with numpad (numlock off)
xbindkeys &
#random wallpaper
wallpaper.sh &
#start panel
pypanel &

the menu.xml looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<openbox_menu xmlns="http://openbox.org/3.4/menu">

<menu id="root-menu" label="Openbox 3" execute="cat /var/cache/xdg-menu/openbox/menu.xml" />

</openbox_menu>

for the creation of /var/cache/xdg-menu/openbox/menu.xml i have xdg_menu installed and modified, so that it adds the logout, shutdown, reboot stuff to the menu.

that's it, gtk theme etc in the screenshot

#775 2009-08-02 16:05:48

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Crosspost from the screenshot topic:

tMjJ4aw

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer