You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-02 02:58:35

ravster
Website

[Solved-ish] Emacs-23.1-3 minibuffer not showing in StumpWM

Hello all,
    I'm using the testing repo, and just updated my system & got the latest emacs package (emacs-23.1-3).  I have the strangest bug over here when using it over StumpWM - I can't see the minibuffer.
    I can see the minibuffer in console-mode as well as when I run emacs in gui-mode in Xfce, but not in gui-mode in StumpWM.  I have never had a problem with StumpWM before and have been a happy user since the end of April.  I also don't have any issues with any other graphical programs in StumpWM.
    So the first problem is of trying to find out where the problem is. Emacs' minibuffer displays just fine in the console as well as in Xfce,
so I can't say that the problem is with emacs.  At the same time, StumpWM works well with all other programs right now, and used to work
just fine with the earlier emacs version (22.something), so I can't definitely say that the problem is with StumpWM either.
    The only help I can give right now is that I see the minibuffer flash for a split-second when emacs starts, and nothing else.  There are no messages of any sort when I invoke it using an xterm.
    I was wondering if other users have experienced (or are experiencing) this curiousity.  I'm checking emacs regularly even when typing this post just to make sure I'm not hallucinating  smile  . If you have experienced this, what have you done to fix it?

Thank you,
Ravster

Last edited by ravster (2009-08-02 16:09:23)

#2 2009-08-02 03:53:34

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved-ish] Emacs-23.1-3 minibuffer not showing in StumpWM

I think it's a window positioning problem. I get a similar behavior in fvwm.  When I start emacs and the emacs window  gets placed at the bottom of a desktop, the minibuffer appears then gets moved on the desktop below. I just need to move the emacs window up a bit and the minibuffer is there.  I guess  StumpWM is a tiling WM so once the minibuffer gets "pushed down" you can't get it back. Try to play with the window placement configurations of StumpWM.

#3 2009-08-02 14:29:55

andre.ramaciotti

If you're setting a font in your ~/.emacs, try putting it in ~/.Xdefaults instead. I had this problem with Xmonad too.

Emacs*font: Envy Code R 8

(lambda ())

#4 2009-08-02 15:07:23

ravster
Website

@Snowman: I'll look up the configuration for StumpWM, and also see in their forums & mailing lists if people have experienced this problem. Thank you.

@andre.ramaciotti: I don't have any font settings in ~/.emacs, and don't have a ~/.Xdefaults.  I don't usually change the font settings on packages.

#5 2009-08-02 16:08:33

ravster
Website

So I figured out a way to get the minibuffer back.  Its not a good solution since it doesn't solve the problem, and needs to be done everytime I start emacs in StumpWM.

What I did was split the screen & I could see the minibuffer again!  When I unsplit the screen the minibuffer still stayed visible.  I have to do this every time I start emacs, but if I leave it open, the minibuffer stays visible without any problems.

Board footer