You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-01 23:04:24

boardstupid

Can't install xfce4 because of corrupt package [solved]

Hi, this is my first post here so please go gentle.

I am giving Archlinux a test run with Sun's VirtualBox on Ubuntu 9.04

I've looked around the forum for quite a bit but couldn't really find anything that was similar to my problem, but also contained an answer that worked for me.

The package in question for me is imagemagick-6.5.3.10.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz.

Every time I invoke pacman -S xfce4 it returns with the message of the package being invalid or corrupt, so I tried appending -- ignore  imagemagick-6.5.3.10.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz.
2nb7h1c.png
Even though I asked pacman to ignore the package, it still downloads it and reports it as faulty and I can't seem to get past this step.
28jwebt.png
In another topic on the forum, it was suggested that the poster download the file manually from an ftp and that worked for them (but they only needed the one package, not an entire set like me), so I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I managed to find it (although it was tricky as most sites were hosting a newer version) but I am unsure what to do with it (or even where it is for that matter) .

Could anyone help me resolve this please?

Last edited by boardstupid (2009-08-02 10:04:35)

#2 2009-08-01 23:31:22

Army

Re: Can't install xfce4 because of corrupt package [solved]

Seems like there's a problem with the mirror. Try out another one, maybe that helps. You also say, that most mirrors have a newer version of imagemagick online? That might mean that your mirror is really out of date! I think best option is to change the mirror.
By the way, manually downloaded packages can be installed by

pacman -U packagename.pkg.tar.gz

and in case it's a dependency

pacman -U packagename.pkg.tar.gz --asdeps

(to keep things clean ;-) )

#3 2009-08-02 00:43:45

arkham
Website

Please post the contents of your /etc/pacman.conf

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#4 2009-08-02 00:52:40

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You should try another mirror. Just move another mirror near you to the top of your mirrorlist (/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist) and then force a database resync with "pacman -Syy" to make sure that you have the correct checksums for the latest packages. Remove the corrupted package if pacman doesn't do it for you.

For future reference, the ignore option takes the package name, not the package archive name (--ignore imagemagick). I would not recommend using that in cases of package corruption or for packages which are deps for many other packages. It is always a better to try to resolve the issue than ignore it.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2009-08-02 10:04:09

boardstupid

Ok, it turns out it was the mirror that was holding the out of date package, just like you guys said.

I assumed (ass = me) that pacman would poll all the mirrors I have uncommented to find the most suitable/up-to-date package, but I guess not.

I moved my second in list up to the top and it worked immediately.

Thanks guys

#6 2009-08-03 16:43:01

cleanrock

i just got hplip package corrupted from ftp://mirror.archlinux.fi/$repo/os/i686 (first time a package is corrupted for me)
will this package be corrupt on this server until it is replaced with a new version of the package ?
i am hoping the mirror performs some checksum test and will download it again, is this the case ?

Board footer