You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-09 06:54:58

lycurgus

logitech G9 mouse problems after package upgrades

hi all,

after a recent upgrade i've found myself having problems with my Logitech G9 laser mouse. the cursor won't move, and the lights on the mouse keep flashing (rather than lighting solidly as they should).

i checked dmesg, and found this:

usb 1-5.7: reset full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 124
[repeats many times]
usb 1-5.7: USB disconnect, address 124
usb 1-5.7: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 125
usb 1-5.7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
input: Logitech G9 Laser Mouse as /device/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-5/1-5.7/1-5.7:1.0/input/input492
generic-usb 0003:046D:C048.01E9: input,hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech G9 Laser Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1a.7-5.7/input0
input: Logitech G9 Laser Mouse as /device/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-5/1-5.7/1-5.7:1.1/input/input493
generic-usb 0003:046D:C048.01EA: input,hiddev1,hidraw5: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Logitech G9 Laser Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1a.7-5.7/input1
usb 1-5.7: reset full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 125
[repeats many times]

the above continues, apparently disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse forever.

since a number of packages were upgraded at the same time, i can't be sure which was responsible for this break. i understand that pacman keeps a log of this information but i don't know where to find it (i only moved to arch from debian-based distros fairly recently). i know that the kernel was upgraded, as well as Xorg. some USB utilities may have been, as well.

knowing that Xorg had been upgraded, i tried changing some of its settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, to match some i found in a blog post describing getting the G9 working under linux at all. i'm not sure if that would help, though, as the mouse worked fine before the upgrade with what i assume are the same settings (xorg.conf.backup matches xorg.conf).

also, it's probably useful to note that i have a keyboard and gamepad, both USB, which work as flawlessly now as they did before the upgrade. the mouse works under Windows on the same machine.

does anyone know what might be causing this problem, and/or how i might fix it? i can get by without a mouse (thank you, Opera's keyboard shortcuts) but it would be very nice to have my mouse back.

#2 2009-07-10 11:57:39

lycurgus

Re: logitech G9 mouse problems after package upgrades

bumping for ongoing issues. i still haven't had any luck finding a fix for this, and package upgrades after the break haven't fixed anything as i (vainly) hoped they might.

the mouse is still disconnecting and reconnecting itself as described above, and doesn't seem to be connected to any of the /dev or /dev/input devices (e.g., cat /dev/input/mice and clicking/moving the mouse produces nothing. same for /dev/input/mouse0, mouse1 etc). i can understand Xorg not seeing/recognising the mouse, but for it to pretty much not register as connected to the system is a little strange.

can anyone help with this? even some advice on HAL, udev, that sort of thing. i think the problem may turn out to lie there, but i don't know enough about it to find out what or why, or how to fix it.

#3 2009-07-11 15:45:28

djszapi
Website

Try it without any wm, just from a console with gpm driver.

Can it work in that way?

#4 2009-07-30 03:50:28

lycurgus

sorry for the slow reply - overseas travel meant i couldn't get to the pc to try anything out. i'm not very well-versed with the command line - what would i need to do to test it at console?

#5 2009-08-02 07:34:33

lycurgus

i've got a little more information. after checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it seems that the problem may be with X's configuration. it looks like the mouse connects correctly, before connecting incorrectly as a keyboard, and then both the G9 'mouse' and the G9 'keyboard' are removed by HAL, before the process repeats. also, it seems X is connecting devices from /dev/input*, which is odd because xorg.conf lists the mouse's location as /dev/input/mice. from previous tests, none of the device nodes seemed to actually represent the physical device - cat /dev/input/whatever came up empty.

#6 2009-08-04 01:18:24

lycurgus

I gave up, ran a backup, and reinstalled the system. Mouse connected fine (although I haven't installed X - I can see the mouse lights solid rather than flashing). Unfortunately, when I ran an update (-Syu) and rebooted, the mouse issue showed up again. Note that this is without any sort of graphical interface even installed - something is going on with the .30 kernel, I suspect. Interestingly after checking dmesg to confirm the error, the mouse lights acted as normal. If installing X doesn't change that, things should be fixed. I'll update this post after some more experimentation.

==edit==

installing X broke something. I don't know what or how, but even after uninstalling it, the mouse problems remain. Interestingly, I tried the mouse on my eeepc (which is up-to-date but has never had X installed) and it works fine. cat /dev/input/mice produces the expected jumble of characters. I'm now going to reinstall the main system (again) and check if the cat test works before X is installed.

==edit 2==

turns out i'm an idiot. the problem is something to do with the number of USB devices i had plugged into the same hub. what's strange is that the hub is powered, and experiences no problems either under windows or under pre-.30 kernels. i guess this solves it, i'll just use an extension lead and plug te mouse directly into the back panel. if that doesn't fix things i'll start a new thread.

also, since i no longer have the problem that prompted this thread, i'd like to mark it [solved]. unfortunately i'm new to the business of forum-ing and don't know how to do that. could someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by lycurgus (2009-08-04 06:29:07)

Board footer