You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-04 00:30:58

sheldork

[SOLVED] Usage of pacman with custom kernel

Hi,

I have a question about using pacman..
When issuing the command "pacman -Syu" i get a list of FILENAME exists in filesystem. And yeah, I've read the sticky - I've checked all the packages and they dont have a owner. And I assume it will be okay to do a "pacman -Syuf"? The package in question is "kernel26-firmware".

The package led me to think about some other thing, in order to get my wireless card up and running to make the first -Syu, about two weeks ago, I had to manually upgrade my kernel. Does this have something to do with the errors I'm experiencing? Will it be safe to issue pacman the force-command? Will my custom-kernel be upgraded or the default one from the first installation of Arch?

I hope I'm making sense, I'm a bit confused.. smile

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sheldork (2009-08-06 15:32:21)

#2 2009-08-04 01:33:36

Arm-the-Homeless

Re: [SOLVED] Usage of pacman with custom kernel

#3 2009-08-04 01:41:13

sand_man

DONT DO pacman -Syuf ever!

neutral

#4 2009-08-04 06:17:59

somedrew

Looks like your custom kernel firmware is overwriting that provided by kernel26-firmware. Preventing the custom kernel installation of /lib/firmware will rectify this if you'd like to keep kernel26 installed (assuming kernel26-firmware provides all you require).

cheers

#5 2009-08-04 09:24:50

sheldork

somedrew wrote:

Looks like your custom kernel firmware is overwriting that provided by kernel26-firmware. Preventing the custom kernel installation of /lib/firmware will rectify this if you'd like to keep kernel26 installed (assuming kernel26-firmware provides all you require).

cheers

Thank you for your answer!
Yes, I would like to keep kernel26 installed. I assume that when upgraded kernel26 will make my custom kernel outdated and useless, since all I needed it for was my wifi-card. So, any suggestions what I should do? smile

Thanks!

Last edited by sheldork (2009-08-04 09:25:19)

#6 2009-08-04 10:42:45

somedrew

sheldork wrote:

I assume that when upgraded kernel26 will make my custom kernel outdated and useless, since all I needed it for was my wifi-card.

You can safely have multiple kernels installed and just point your bootloader to the one you'd like to use. Upgrading kernel26 won't change your bootloader entry.

sheldork wrote:

So, any suggestions what I should do? smile

If you're building your custom kernel with makepkg you can remove that firmware from the package and avoid those /lib/firmware upgrade errors with kernel26 by adding to your PKGBUILD:

rm -rf ${pkgdir}/lib/firmware

Note that while there's a kconfig option to prevent firmware installation, it's still getting installed for me by make modules_install despite this.
You can  use the firmware provided by the kernel26 with your custom kernel as long as kernel26 provides what you need for your hardware.

#7 2009-08-04 11:38:01

sheldork

somedrew wrote:

If you're building your custom kernel with makepkg you can remove that firmware from the package and avoid those /lib/firmware upgrade errors with kernel26 by adding to your PKGBUILD:

rm -rf ${pkgdir}/lib/firmware

Note that while there's a kconfig option to prevent firmware installation, it's still getting installed for me by make modules_install despite this.
You can  use the firmware provided by the kernel26 with your custom kernel as long as kernel26 provides what you need for your hardware.

I did not use makepkg when I built my custom kernel, but from what I can see the kernel upgrade in the repositories is of newer version then my custom kernel - which should be sufficient. The reason I had to make a custom kernel to enable the wifi was because the PKGBUILD for the wifi-driver had dependency-issues with the default installation-kernel (kernel26). So I guess there are no actual difference in support when it comes to the hardware in my machine if I go with kernel26.

So in other words it would be safe for me to:
rm -rf the conflicting packages, pacman -Syu to get the latest kernel26, point my bootloader back to kernel26?

Thanks again.

PS. Excuse me if I'm not making any sense, I'm kinda new to this. Been running Mint for a couple of months but didn't really get that Linux-experience I was expecting (been having it ever since I switched to Arch though tongue). smile

Board footer