You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-03 12:52:11

tmadhavan

Upgraded kernel, lost ALL modules except nvidia??

Hey all,

just upgraded my kernel and some other stuff that was due for upgrading. On reboot I get errors saying uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd can't be found, along with 8139too (network module) and snd_cs46xx (sound module). The only module that actually loads is nvidia, according to lsmod.

So now I have a machine with no sound, no usb, no network.... any ideas how I can get it back to life?

Not sure what logs to produce, so I'll give none at the moment, gonna be a huge pain getting them off my machine and onto this one :S

Thanks.
T

#2 2005-01-03 16:59:51

Win

Re: Upgraded kernel, lost ALL modules except nvidia??

Hi tmadhavan.

A very common problem with kernel upgrades is not changing the kernel information in /boot/grub/menu.lst (or lilo.conf). You may be booting with an old kernel the modules for which have been wiped out by the upgrade.

To determine which kernel actually was booted, run:

uname -a

And take a look at the contents of the following directories and files:

/boot/
/lib/modules/
/boot/grub/menu.lst or /etc/lilo.conf

and determine what kernels and libraries are actually on the machine; and how they've been specified for GRUB or LILO.

Regards,

Win

#3 2005-01-03 22:46:28

tmadhavan

Hang on... I didn't run lilo after upgrading the kernel, bet that's it.

Cheers for that, I'll go check it out and get back.

T

#4 2005-01-03 23:10:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

here's what happens:
let's say we're going from kernel 2.6.9 to 2.6.10:

1) pacman uninstalls kernel 2.6.9
   a) this removes the kernel
   b) and removes /lib/modules/2.6.9/*
2) pacman installs kernel 2.6.10
   a) this adds /lib/modules/2.6.10/<alot of stuff>

when you install modules, such as nvidia, it installs to the modules dir of the current kernel you are running... so nvidia goes to /lib/modules/2.6.9/path/to/nvidia.ko
this gets wiped when the kernel is uninstalled in the upgrade

in order to remedy this situation, the pacman packages need to be rebuilt when the kernel changes in order to install to the correct location (this is by design... if the kernel changes you really really want to recompile modules anyway).

#5 2005-01-04 11:26:17

tmadhavan

DOes that require manually rebuilding on my part? I know the nvidia module hass to be reinstalled, done that.

I just ran lilo and that sorted everything out - does that mean I'm still using old modules until I recompile them all??!

T

#6 2005-01-04 15:58:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

tmadhavan wrote:

DOes that require manually rebuilding on my part? I know the nvidia module hass to be reinstalled, done that.

I just ran lilo and that sorted everything out - does that mean I'm still using old modules until I recompile them all??!

T

no, no you're fine.  I was just explaining things... it takes a bit to catch on to the fact that when you upgrade your kernel, all your kernel modules get wiped and need to be reinstalled.

#7 2005-01-05 14:54:30

tmadhavan

Learn something new every day.... unfortunately not what I need to know for my bloody exams. Ah well.

Cheers for the info phrak/win.

T

Board footer