You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-05 10:53:12

algorythm

[Solved] Major problem: chmodded /usr and /bin

Well now I have really screwed my system. It's a long story, but in the end I ran these commands:

sudo chmod -R 4755 /usr
sudo chmod -R 4755 /bin
sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/Xorg

.. and now I can't even get to gdm, because I get this Xorg error:

Failed to start X server...

[OK]

/usr/bin/Xorg: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libhal.so

Ctrl + Alt + F1-6 won't work because only F1 does something and even there I just get this weird text:

:: Loading Initramfs
commandline read: splashy
commandline read: boot
waiting 90 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/e289..[numbers]..311 ...

(F2 brings me back to the Xorg error, F7 bring me to stare a black screen). This means I can't even fix this with pacman/powerpill by doing a whole reinstallation every single package I have on my system.

Any help/comments where I don't see phrases such as "lol why did you do that" are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by algorythm (2009-08-05 21:41:12)

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#2 2009-08-05 13:05:18

loafer

Re: [Solved] Major problem: chmodded /usr and /bin

Can you log in via a live CD, mount your drives and set the permissions back to what they should be?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-08-05 13:07:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

setting permissions back to correct may be more easily done by just reinstalling all your packages.

#4 2009-08-05 13:25:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Do what Allan says. Reinstalls should replace your old files with new ones with correct permissions.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-08-05 14:25:34

algorythm

From my post..:

Do what Allan says. Reinstalls should replace your old files with new ones with correct permissions.

...(F2 brings me back to the Xorg error, F7 bring me to stare a black screen). This means I can't even fix this with pacman/powerpill by doing a whole reinstallation every single package I have on my system.

hmm

Can you log in via a live CD, mount your drives and set the permissions back to what they should be?

Yes, but I don't know what they could possibly be...

(I also have ubuntu on another partition)

Edit: I can boot to root terminal mode but somehow, someway, I have no idea why, but I don't have internet connection there(?).

My god my system is so screwed because of these permissions and dependencies.

Last edited by algorythm (2009-08-05 14:32:58)

“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#6 2009-08-05 15:21:20

algorythm

Phew! I got myself step further by downloading the latest dhcp and dhcpcd from ftp.hosteurope.de and installing them with pacman -U - this finally gave me my internet connection back.

I'll run

pacman -S $(pacman -Qq | grep -v "$(pacman -Qqm)")

and let ya know my results.

#7 2009-08-05 21:40:53

algorythm

Well after reinstallation I still had to remove the "4"755 from /bin and "6"755 from all the folders on /usr manually with pcmanfm by unticking the Set UIDs Set GUIDs (I was careful that I wouldn't do anything with the binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin).

That's normal as how could reinstalling packages change the permissions of the main directories smile?

Last edited by algorythm (2009-08-06 11:30:02)

Board footer