You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-05 13:29:24

warnec

Accessing devices through .desktop files

Hi. I'm quite a new Arch user, and I miss some kind of a center place where all icons for device access are located, like Window's My Computer. I thought I'd make one for me wink
But I cannot access a device when it's not mounted. I can create a .desktop file pointing to /dev/dvd for example, but it only works when DVD has been selected in the "Recently plugged devices" plasmoid or opened in Dolphin. Before that, it is not mounted, and therefore, I can't access it. So what I'd like is the ability to automount DVDs/CDs/pendrives/memory cards as soon as they are plugged in, not when a program tries to access them. I tried to tinker with /etc/fstab a little, but as it turns out, my pendrive doesn't always use the form of the same file in /dev/ it can be /dev/sdf, /dev/sdg...

Is there an easy way to do this? I don't only mean pendrive, but a set of .desktop files which will point me to all periherals. (I've got a card reader with 4 slots, so it would be geart to have 4 .desktop files for the cards only)

Board footer