You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-04 07:02:51

RahJiggah

Grub probz

Hi

I just installed arch linux, I want to install grub as my loader, it says to edit the menu.1st file, I am having problems figuring out how to or what to put in, is what is set as default in this file correct??

:oops:

#2 2005-01-04 07:05:38

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Grub probz

yes. I just usually open the file with the editor of choice, and check to make sure it has content. then I save it, and continue on with my install. If you don't at least touch the file, I have had it not install grub because it thought the file was incorrect.
*shrug*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-01-04 07:08:56

RahJiggah

what should i put at the "select boot device where grub will be installed" prompt...this is the second time i installed,  first time i did what u said and it would boot and all it would say is "grub" and nothing else no prompt no nuttin, so I just re-installed and dont want this to happen again...

#4 2005-01-04 08:28:05

murkus

RahJiggah wrote:

what should i put at the "select boot device where grub will be installed" prompt...this is the second time i installed,  first time i did what u said and it would boot and all it would say is "grub" and nothing else no prompt no nuttin, so I just re-installed and dont want this to happen again...

From your other post :

RahJiggah wrote:

a dualboot with win2kserver

You have windows in hda1 and the MBR is in hda. Now I don't know if you are having one or several disk drives but Im supposing you're using only one.

You then propably have hda2 as your /boot, hda3 as swap and hda4 as /.

what you want is to install grub on hda2 ie. /boot.  In grub syntax that is hd(0,1). hd(0) would be MBR, do not put grub there.

then on your menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux  
root   (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda4 vga=0x317 devfs=nomount

# (1) Other OS
title My Other OS
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Now if you did already one try with default values and overwrote MBR you have to fix MBR with windows. Boot into recovery mode and run

fixmbr

.murkus

#5 2005-01-04 12:21:35

RahJiggah

lol no not anymore....i got rid of windows server and replaced fully with this system...

#6 2005-01-04 12:29:06

murkus

RahJiggah wrote:

i got rid of windows server and replaced fully with this system...

Well good for you! big_smile
Good luck for life without windows. (been there happily for two years now)

.murkus

#7 2005-01-04 12:33:45

RahJiggah

so now what should i put for menu.1st? and which disk do i select when i ask to install grub?

#8 2005-01-04 14:18:34

oscar

you can either install grub on a partition and mark it as active, or install grub in your mbr.
I recommend installing it in your mbr.

Since I have no idea how you made your partitions, I can't tell you how to do beyond this.

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#9 2005-01-04 18:25:27

skoal
Website

RahJiggah wrote:

so now what should i put for menu.1st? and which disk do i select when i ask to install grub?

1. During the install of Arch, when you are asked which partition to intall grub to, use the very first (top) option (I forgot what it looks like, probably something like "/dev/hda", not "/dev/hda1"). That will install grub into the MBR of your hard drive.

2. My partitions for Linux (Arch & LFS) on hda & hdb, respectively, look like this:

/dev/hda (MBR)
/dev/hda1 - /boot
/dev/hda2 - swap
/dev/hda3 - /root
/dev/hda4 - /home

/dev/hdb
/dev/hdb1 - /boot
/dev/hdb2 - /root

Therefore, in "menu.1st", I can load either Linux kernel (Arch or LFS) with the following statements:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26]
root   (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 ro

# (1) Linux From Scratch
title  Linux From Scratch
root   (hd1,1)
kernel (hd1,0)/kernel root=/dev/discs/disc1/part2 ro hdd=ide-scsi

* With that information, you should be able to make a direct translation from what "grub" expects in "menu.1st" and what I have listed in my partition information.  For example, where grub loads Arch Linux, my kernel (vmlinuz26) resides in my "/boot" partition of "hda1".   Grub starts it's partitions and drive numbering at 0, not 1, therefore, that's why I use (hd0,0) -> ("master IDE drive A", "first partition").

** Just to confuse you even more, most people do not use a separate "/boot" partition like I have above.  Therefore, there kernel will reside in the "/boot" directory on their "/root" partition.  In that case, you would need to change how grub loads the kernel.  For example,

/dev/hda (MBR)
/dev/hda1 - swap
/dev/hda2 - /root

and the corresponding "menu.1st":

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26]
root   (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/discs/disc0/part2 ro

* Notice that last line and the necessary inclusion of "/boot" before "/vmlinuz26".

#10 2005-04-20 17:01:28

Carbono

murkus wrote:

''
what you want is to install grub on hda2 ie. /boot. In grub syntax that is hd(0,1). hd(0) would be MBR, do not put grub there.

then on your menu.lst:

Code:
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux 
root   (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda4 vga=0x317 devfs=nomount

# (1) Other OS
title My Other OS
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

''

I just did exactly what Murkus said:

-I first installed XP on the first partition of my only disk (primary- hda1 - NTFS);

-Then I created a /boot partition (primary - hda2) during Arch installation. I toggled Boot for this partition in cfdisk ;

-I also created a /swap (primary - hda3), a / (logical - hda5), and a partition to share between XP and Arch (logical - hda6 - FAT32).

-I installed Grub on /boot (hda2). Here is my menu.lst file:

# (0) Arch
title Arch Linux [/boot/vmlinux26]
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinux26 root=/dev/discs/disc0/part5 ro

# (1) Win XP
title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Then I exited the install and rebooted from hard disk. I got the Grub menu with my two choices: Arch or Windows XP. I chose XP and it booted alright.

Then I restarted the computer and now it boots right into XP without the Grub menu.

Please, what's the problem here???

Thanx

#11 2005-04-21 09:33:21

murkus

Then I restarted the computer and now it boots right into XP without the Grub menu.

Please, what's the problem here???

Do you have your hda2 partition activated? ie. run fdisk and make your /boot active. It doesn't work otherwise.

.murkus

Board footer