You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-04 02:32:49

woodstock

Modular KDE

Now I'm not to sure if I chose the right word for the title but what I'm wondering is:

How hard would it be to split kde into multiple packages? Such as kwrite, kdm, quanta etc are all individual packages?

I think I remember seeing this in Debian, and they went to the extreme where every packages, even the games, were their own package.

If it's not that difficult would this be a good idea?

BTW: are their KDE packages that don't include all the Arch art addons and menu entries? I don't really want to have to recompile KDE without those and I find it annoying to have to go in and remove all of that stuff manually after every KDE update (I think it's only been like this for the last two major updates)

Thank you for your time.

-- woodstock

#2 2005-01-04 03:41:37

ChrisX

Re: Modular KDE

I have heard of this idea also.  Gentoo has something similar to this.  It has advantages and disadvantages.  One cool thing is that instead of downloading a 30 meg file to upgrade one app, you can just upgrade that single app by itself.  An example would be instead of upgrading the whole kdenetwork package to upgrade kopete, you could just upgrade kopete independently.  The only difficult thing would be that there are now multiple PKGBUILD files to keep track of.  I have never actually built kde from scratch so I can't say how much more difficult it would be to do this.  The best way to have this question answered is to ask the developers/package maintainers themselves or look into the kde build process yourself to see how difficult it would be to maintain independent packages for everything.

#3 2005-01-04 07:35:37

JGC
Developer

The only reason why this would be nice is that you get what you want, nothing more. We have been splitting up things in archlinux for a while now, and things look good. The problem with the limited one PKGBUILD -> one package solution in archlinux is that on every upgrade the maintainer has a huge amount of work to keep up.

The other thing, only updating kopete when there's a new kopete instead of a complete kdenetwork package: most of the time kopete is updated with a new kdenetwork package, so you get a reinstall of all wink
You can see this clearly in debian, they fix a bug in libxpm in XFree86, whoosh, complete XFree86 reinstall with all separate packages.

#4 2005-01-04 09:45:38

IceRAM
Website

woodstock wrote:

BTW: are their KDE packages that don't include all the Arch art addons and menu entries? I don't really want to have to recompile KDE without those and I find it annoying to have to go in and remove all of that stuff manually after every KDE update (I think it's only been like this for the last two major updates)

The Arch kdeartwork as far as I know does not replaces anything within kde, it just ADDs some other defaults. It should be no problem changing to the defaults, which are still included in the packages.

#5 2005-01-04 13:38:45

tpowa
Developer

thanks ICERAM
user preferences wins against system defaults smile

please have a look at the PKGBUILD then you see what is changed
so you can block this with pacman what you dislike

Board footer