You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-07 18:12:10

kensai
Member
From: Puerto Rico
Registered: 2005-06-03
Posts: 2,475
Website

Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

http://www.archlinux.org/static/newsletters/

Ladies and Gentlemen, the moment has come, the Arch Linux Magazine is born.

We would like to thank all the developers and users that have been involved in the Arch Linux newsletter in any way or another, for it is them who made the newsletter become what it is right now, a magazine. The continued support has been outstanding and we can but be thankful for the team effort.

Thanks Daniel Griffiths for you are my right hand in this success and the person who deserves and honorary mention for the continued motivation to keep the newsletter alive and motivate me to push it even further.

Now, I leave you with the link for the newly revamped newsletter/magazine website.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about the contributors, guys, you are the best, this articles are top class and without you, the magazine would have been nothing. Thanks, and keep the contributions coming.

http://www.archlinux.org/static/newsletters/

Last edited by kensai (2009-08-07 19:41:50)


Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Offline

#2 2009-08-07 18:41:23

IncredibleLaser
Member
From: Germany, NRW
Registered: 2008-07-16
Posts: 155

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

I think the newsletter is great. I had something like that for the AUR in mind (like a package of the month/week or whatever), but this is way better as it covers even more stuff. However, I'd like to see the layout changed. BTW, which program was used to create the PDF?

Good work!

Offline

#3 2009-08-07 18:48:43

kensai
Member
From: Puerto Rico
Registered: 2005-06-03
Posts: 2,475
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Currently scribe is being used by Daniel Griffiths, but since I haven't had time to contribute that much, later all this can improve. Did somebody said latex?


Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Offline

#4 2009-08-07 18:57:21

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
From: Belgium
Registered: 2006-11-05
Posts: 1,959
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

* Hmm, quite a short interview sad
* RCS article: there is quite some explanation about what a VCS is.  I think most Arch users already know that.  a short comparison to git or svn would have been more useful.
* links to arch-dev-public are broken (a missing '-')
* you may also want to keep an eye on the arch-releng mailing list (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/). it's not just arch-dev-public that has interesting threads wink

Other then those points, good newsletter as usual.


< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline

#5 2009-08-07 19:06:41

bangkok_manouel
Member
From: indicates a starting point
Registered: 2005-02-07
Posts: 1,554

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

kensai wrote:

Thanks Daniel Griffiths for you are my right hand in this success and the person who deserves and honorary mention for the continued motivation to keep the newsletter alive and motivate me to push it even further

Seriously, please step down from your throne. It makes me feel very uncomfortable for Daniel+contributors... I hope it's because I'm not an english native speaker and you neither so that makes misunderstanding probabilty multiplied by 42. I like you Kensai, I really do, but please don't play the hierarchical stuff too much, it's not the spirit of a user contributed project...


All design goals must be phrased in such a way that it is hard to use them as slogans to justify stupidity.

Offline

#6 2009-08-07 19:10:18

hrobeers
Member
From: Belgium
Registered: 2008-11-05
Posts: 79

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Great! It is more pleasant to read!
I only was a bit surprised with the landscape format, magazines are mostly portrait. But Thats not a problem because it reads easily fullscreen in landscape.

About video editors:
I recently discovered a 5th alternative, haven't used it yet but it looks promising!
http://www.kdenlive.org/

Until now, only lives worked for me. But Kdenlive looks like it has interesting features and is more user-friendly (wich can be welcome for ocassional video-editing).

Offline

#7 2009-08-07 19:25:52

Barrucadu
Member
From: York, England
Registered: 2008-03-30
Posts: 1,158
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in epdfview (at least) it's completely broken. Screenshot, however AUM used to work perfectly. The console output is like this, repeated until I kill it:

Error: Found a bad table definition on true type definition, trying to continue...
Error: Found a bad table definition on true type definition, trying to continue...
Error: Found a bad table definition on true type definition, trying to continue...
Bogus memory allocation size
Error: could not create truetype face

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed

Offline

#8 2009-08-07 19:29:29

Peasantoid
Member
Registered: 2009-04-26
Posts: 928
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Quick problem with the 'Past Issues' list — the June link for AUM 2009 actually links to the April edition (and vice-versa). Didn't bother to check if this happened with the other entries.

Also, where the hell is the July issue? I'm pretty sure I had an article in there...

Last edited by Peasantoid (2009-08-07 19:32:37)

Offline

#9 2009-08-07 19:34:42

kagutsuchi713
Member
Registered: 2009-01-23
Posts: 16
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

On the topic of links, the menu bar links are broken for the past issues and the Magazine itself. (HTML version of course)

Last edited by kagutsuchi713 (2009-08-07 19:35:02)

Offline

#10 2009-08-07 19:39:45

kensai
Member
From: Puerto Rico
Registered: 2005-06-03
Posts: 2,475
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

bangkok_manouel wrote:
kensai wrote:

Thanks Daniel Griffiths for you are my right hand in this success and the person who deserves and honorary mention for the continued motivation to keep the newsletter alive and motivate me to push it even further

Seriously, please step down from your throne. It makes me feel very uncomfortable for Daniel+contributors... I hope it's because I'm not an english native speaker and you neither so that makes misunderstanding probabilty multiplied by 42. I like you Kensai, I really do, but please don't play the hierarchical stuff too much, it's not the spirit of a user contributed project...

It hurts to hear this, I am totally opposed to being hierarchical in anything. And it hurts me that someone might think so. I am in fact degrading myself in the welcome message and in here, because I acknowledge nothing was made entirely by me, I didn't even managed this magazine this month because I am very busy with real life. Do you want me to degrade myself even further so you are happy?

Does anyone else feels I am being an arrogant idiot, even after so much mentions that I didn't do almost anything for this magazine?

If that is the case I am ready to take my gloves off and leave this, because I won't take criticism this harsh way.


Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Offline

#11 2009-08-07 19:40:08

djszapi
Member
From: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Registered: 2009-06-14
Posts: 1,439
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Thank for you the contribution in Magazine format! wink

Offline

#12 2009-08-07 19:43:13

bwalk
Member
Registered: 2007-03-21
Posts: 177

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Just skipped through it, very nice. It took me a while to get used to the format (landscape, three-column) though.

Offline

#13 2009-08-07 19:45:34

ataraxia
Member
From: Pittsburgh
Registered: 2007-05-06
Posts: 1,537

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

What 's with the example for removing the ".o" from a bunch of files? "basename" doesn't do this:

$ basename file.o
file

instead it actually does this:

$ basename /path/to/file.o
file.o

What you actually want is:

$ echo ${i%%.o}
file

Or am I totally misunderstanding the point of this example?

Offline

#14 2009-08-07 20:01:01

Pierre
Developer
From: Bonn
Registered: 2004-07-05
Posts: 1,950
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

No, you want to use basename file.o .o

Offline

#15 2009-08-07 20:08:57

thefatprecious
Member
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2009-02-13
Posts: 98

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Great Newsletter!

Fyi, the links in the Devland section of the HTML version are broken. They return a "404 - Page Not Found."

@Kensai, I wouldn't take bangkok_manouel's comment to heart it has to be a language barrier. That was pretty harsh on their part. I am a "native english speaker" and thought you were very complimentary. I can't see how it would make anyone feel uncomfortable.

"Can't we all just get along" ...had to throw that in there.... big_smile


ILoveCandy

Offline

#16 2009-08-07 20:09:51

bangkok_manouel
Member
From: indicates a starting point
Registered: 2005-02-07
Posts: 1,554

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

kensai wrote:
bangkok_manouel wrote:
kensai wrote:

Thanks Daniel Griffiths for you are my right hand in this success and the person who deserves and honorary mention for the continued motivation to keep the newsletter alive and motivate me to push it even further

Seriously, please step down from your throne. It makes me feel very uncomfortable for Daniel+contributors... I hope it's because I'm not an english native speaker and you neither so that makes misunderstanding probabilty multiplied by 42. I like you Kensai, I really do, but please don't play the hierarchical stuff too much, it's not the spirit of a user contributed project...

It hurts to hear this, I am totally opposed to being hierarchical in anything. And it hurts me that someone might think so. I am in fact degrading myself in the welcome message and in here, because I acknowledge nothing was made entirely by me, I didn't even managed this magazine this month because I am very busy with real life. Do you want me to degrade myself even further so you are happy?

Does anyone else feels I am being an arrogant idiot, even after so much mentions that I didn't do almost anything for this magazine?

If that is the case I am ready to take my gloves off and leave this, because I won't take criticism this harsh way.

I sincerely apologize if I did personally hurt you, that was not my point. Anyway, I think it's more a matter of choice of words than anything else... I won't quote or try to explain what made me post this because I believe you are very sincere and that the "guilty" words should not be interpreted as I did. 42 factor I guess...


All design goals must be phrased in such a way that it is hard to use them as slogans to justify stupidity.

Offline

#17 2009-08-07 20:15:01

Acecero
Member
Registered: 2008-06-21
Posts: 1,373

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

That's was a fun read on the current issue. Good job Kensai, Ghost and Co.!

Also I just want to point out a little typo, if that can be quickly fixed.

PDFtk was probably an important parto of your toolkit.

Offline

#18 2009-08-07 20:18:40

kensai
Member
From: Puerto Rico
Registered: 2005-06-03
Posts: 2,475
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

@thefatprecious, thanks, and sorry, but I was having a rush day when I wrote that.

@bangkok_manouel, no hard feelings, thanks for the clarification, as I wrote above, I was having a rush when I read that, I shouldn't read when I am in that mood.

@everyonewhofoundmistakes, I will try and fix all mistakes, but since I am very busy, ghost1227 can you fix them and send me the edited things?


Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Offline

#19 2009-08-07 21:23:16

ataraxia
Member
From: Pittsburgh
Registered: 2007-05-06
Posts: 1,537

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Pierre wrote:

No, you want to use basename file.o .o

Now this, I didn't know basename could do. It always surprises me when one of those old-time utils has more than one purpose.

(So, except for a typo, I got something very valuable from this month's issue. Very nice!)

Offline

#20 2009-08-07 21:27:46

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
From: Omaha, NE, USA
Registered: 2008-04-21
Posts: 1,418
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Not a problem tongue especially with the rush we put on releasing this I'm not surprised there are a few mistakes, and all the little technical difficulties will be ironed out in short order. Unfortunately occasional slip ups are the price of progress!

Offline

#21 2009-08-07 21:47:27

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
From: Omaha, NE, USA
Registered: 2008-04-21
Posts: 1,418
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Barrucadu wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in epdfview (at least) it's completely broken. Screenshot, however AUM used to work perfectly. The console output is like this, repeated until I kill it:

Error: Found a bad table definition on true type definition, trying to continue...
Error: Found a bad table definition on true type definition, trying to continue...
Error: Found a bad table definition on true type definition, trying to continue...
Bogus memory allocation size
Error: could not create truetype face

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed
Error: failed to load truetype font

some font thing failed

Works fine for me under epdfview... can anyone else confirm this issue?

Offline

#22 2009-08-07 22:17:51

makimaki
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 2009-04-02
Posts: 109

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

@Ghost1227

renders fine in epdfview 0.1.7 for me

@Barrucadu
could it be a font problem, ie a lack of fonts?
The used fonts are:
Arial
Karat
Times New Roman
Helvetica

P.S. Great newsletter again guys smile


====* -- Joke
    O
    \|/ --- Me
    / \             Whooooosh

Offline

#23 2009-08-07 22:20:32

hrobeers
Member
From: Belgium
Registered: 2008-11-05
Posts: 79

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Works perfect in my epdfview too!

Edit: this post feels to useless, but can't remove it.

To make it a bit more useful: It shows perfect in Okular! big_smile

Last edited by hrobeers (2009-08-07 22:23:04)

Offline

#24 2009-08-08 00:44:14

kensai
Member
From: Puerto Rico
Registered: 2005-06-03
Posts: 2,475
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Everything has been fixed, guys please, grab your new copy of the magazine, or the check the html file.


Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Offline

#25 2009-08-08 06:17:08

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
From: Iowa - USA
Registered: 2006-08-19
Posts: 903
Website

Re: Discussion for the Arch Linux Magazine, August 2009

Dieter@be wrote:

* RCS article: there is quite some explanation about what a VCS is.  I think most Arch users already know that.  a short comparison to git or svn would have been more useful.

Complaints not accepted here........only patches,  we look forward to your next article tongue  lol:lol::lol:

Seriously though, unless your a programmer, many people never venture into the revision control arena,  I was trying to show people how revision control could be useful for more than just programming. Since only about 2% of the total threads started are in the programming forum, I'd venture to guess that the majority of Arch users are NOT programmers and don't use revision control on a day to day basis. I use revision control on a day to day basis for my job, and find that RCS works exceedingly well if you don't need anything too fancy, fits the KISS principle for me.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB