You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-04 05:38:20

dp
Website

14 years of linux

On 25/8/1991, Linus Torvalds wrote:

1991 Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2005-01-04 06:33:22

z4ziggy
Website

Re: 14 years of linux

dp wrote:
On 25/8/1991, Linus Torvalds wrote:

... (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu)...

lol

#3 2005-01-04 07:07:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

well, he got the "wont be as big" part right. In contrast to all the GNU software in a linux system, the kernel is a relatively small part (a hugely important part though, don't get me wrong).
The professional part...well...I think time has shown that one.
*evil wink at GNU/Hurd*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-01-04 13:43:23

iphitus
Forum Fellow

We've still got to wait till 25th of August for that one to be true dp...

#5 2005-01-04 13:58:15

dp
Website

iphitus wrote:

you think, that this planet will be destroyed by then? earthquakes? tsunamis? comets? storms? climate change? bush?

if not, i see no chance that linux will discontinue in the meantime - nothing can stop linux! it's elementar evolution: a more flexible and better addapted species survives always longer than a less flexible one

#6 2005-01-04 19:20:50

skoal
Website

The discussions between Linus and his teacher, Andrew Tannenbaum (whos name every CS student should or will know), are priceless.  There are some really good technical and phillosophical (to some extent) discussions between them.  Even better, you get to see a young, rash Torvalds ripping others coming between him and his "baby".  I know a lot of people give Linus a lot of credit for Linux, as they should, but it amazes me how Tannenbaum gets left out of those same discussions.  Without "minix", "linux" may not be...

#7 2005-01-04 19:59:13

dp
Website

skoal wrote:

The discussions between Linus and his teacher, Andrew Tannenbaum (whos name every CS student should or will know), are priceless.  There are some really good technical and phillosophical (to some extent) discussions between them.  Even better, you get to see a young, rash Torvalds ripping others coming between him and his "baby".  I know a lot of people give Linus a lot of credit for Linux, as they should, but it amazes me how Tannenbaum gets left out of those same discussions.  Without "minix", "linux" may not be...

true ... but if you look at the kernel configs in archlinux, you will see, that minix is disabled  roll

#8 2005-01-04 20:10:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dp wrote:

true ... but if you look at the kernel configs in archlinux, you will see, that minix is disabled  roll

ARCHLINUX_FORUMS_DISABLE_DP_FOR_LAME_JOKES=y
lol

#9 2005-01-04 21:01:22

dp
Website

phrakture wrote:
dp wrote:

ARCHLINUX_FORUMS_DISABLE_DP_FOR_LAME_JOKES=y
lol

this ain't not a joke:

[damir@Asteraceae kernel26]$ cat config | grep MINIX
# CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set

lol

#10 2005-01-04 22:19:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

heh, I'm just messin'

#11 2005-01-04 23:57:24

skoal
Website

dp wrote:

[...] but if you look at the kernel configs in archlinux, you will see, that minix is disabled [...]

(sniff)...(sniff)...damn, what's that smell? Man, I gotta get me some of that Euro stuff.  That shit smells good...hook me up bro.

I think you might enjoy this quote from Mr. Tannebaum, concerning the relation between his Minix and Linux:

"[...] MINIX had clearly had a huge influence on Linux in many ways, from the layout of the file system to the names in the source tree, but I didn't think Linus had used any of my code. Linus also used MINIX as his development platform initially, but there was nothing wrong with that. He asked if I objected to that and I said no, I didn't, people were free to use it as they wished for noncommercial purposes."

Hey, I ain't trying to step on no toes here.  I was just trying to draw the comparison that "without Obi-Wan Kenobi, there would be no Luke Skywalker.  Just some ambitious dirt farmer who repaired droids all day instead of fighting the Empire."  Without "Obi-Wan", you would all have turned to the DAaaaark WestSiiiiIIIde of the Force.  PeeeeeAAAAce...

#12 2005-01-05 01:25:23

sarah31
Website

dp wrote:
iphitus wrote:

you think, that this planet will be destroyed by then? earthquakes? tsunamis? comets? storms? climate change? bush?

yes it will be destroyed it by then. The Western World (ie Europe and NA mainly) have sent the globe on a tailspin to doom which will come to an end on the 24th Of August this year.

if not, i see no chance that linux will discontinue in the meantime - nothing can stop linux! it's elementar evolution: a more flexible and better addapted species survives always longer than a less flexible one

the titanic was unsinkable .... apparently. many humans (i would tend to include you in this but it is not meant as a flame) think that humans are the pinnacle of evolution we always talk like we are superior to everything....talk like we know all or will know all. truth be told we are as weak and as fragile as many other species out there. The way nature and chance work you never know what could be coming our way. The next extinction level event (none of which we have the power or wisdom to stop or detect) could come. So if we aren't safe then how can anything we created be?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2005-01-05 04:53:44

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sarah31 wrote:

the titanic was unsinkable .... apparently.

The spruce goose was supposedly unflyable too.  roll

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#14 2005-01-05 11:43:44

dp
Website

skoal wrote:

"[...] MINIX had clearly had a huge influence on Linux in many ways, from the layout of the file system to the names in the source tree, but I didn't think Linus had used any of my code. Linus also used MINIX as his development platform initially, but there was nothing wrong with that. He asked if I objected to that and I said no, I didn't, people were free to use it as they wished for noncommercial purposes.

thanx for this quote!

#15 2005-01-05 16:35:51

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cactus wrote:

nice!

#16 2005-01-05 18:57:36

sarah31
Website

cactus wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

the titanic was unsinkable .... apparently.

well it would have been hard to fly with kleenex boxes on your feet.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#17 2005-01-05 20:45:17

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

:?:

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer