You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-15 22:45:32

Xi0N
Website

Some different issues

Hi all!!
I just formatted my arch recently, an d i found some problems since then:

The first thing is that the sound behaves strangely.... i get alsa working and all, and i set al the volumes to 100%... but when i restart and i log back into my session, the volume is again in 50% more or less, and the headphones are enabled....... how can i save the sound levels automaticaly? This did never happen before to me...
Another problem, more serious, is that my keyboard layout seems to be wrong when i am performing every login...
I mean,... my user's password has some "*" character, and my keyboard layout is spanish "es"... but when i attempt the login,.. the key that should print an asterisk, actually prints this other character "{". It is really annoying since you cannot see which password you are typing.... is there any way to fix this?
Another strange thing is that in boot time, when all the modules are loaded, the network is brought up and such things, with the "done" and "fail" messages, i see an error message, but the screen changes so fast i cannot even read a word of it.... how can i retrieve this information after i am already logged into gnome? another solution would be if there is somehow to stop the load screen before gdm is loaded, and make the system wait for a key input for carrying the load on.....
Well, i think i did not miss any problem... or, basicaly, these are the most annoying ones....
Well, i will wait around for some help... meanwhile i look for some info about this issues....

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Xi0N (2009-03-15 22:50:06)

#2 2009-03-16 00:42:17

kandrews

Re: Some different issues

Xi0N wrote:

Hi all!!
I just formatted my arch recently, an d i found some problems since then:

The first thing is that the sound behaves strangely.... i get alsa working and all, and i set al the volumes to 100%... but when i restart and i log back into my session, the volume is again in 50% more or less, and the headphones are enabled....... how can i save the sound levels automaticaly? This did never happen before to me...

Did you run 'alsactl store'?

Xi0N wrote:

Another problem, more serious, is that my keyboard layout seems to be wrong when i am performing every login...
I mean,... my user's password has some "*" character, and my keyboard layout is spanish "es"... but when i attempt the login,.. the key that should print an asterisk, actually prints this other character "{". It is really annoying since you cannot see which password you are typing.... is there any way to fix this?

I'm not really sure on this one.  Did you run 'locale-gen' as root? Could you post the relevant bits from your rc.conf?

Xi0N wrote:

Another strange thing is that in boot time, when all the modules are loaded, the network is brought up and such things, with the "done" and "fail" messages, i see an error message, but the screen changes so fast i cannot even read a word of it.... how can i retrieve this information after i am already logged into gnome? another solution would be if there is somehow to stop the load screen before gdm is loaded, and make the system wait for a key input for carrying the load on.....
Well, i think i did not miss any problem... or, basicaly, these are the most annoying ones....
Well, i will wait around for some help... meanwhile i look for some info about this issues....
Thanks!!!

Error messages can be found in /var/log.

#3 2009-03-16 01:30:05

mcmillan

For the first, putting alsa into your list of daemons in /etc/rc.conf should probably take care of that.

Not much help for the second since I only use an US keyboard, but my guess is it's probably not setting to es during the login and going to the default. More info on how you set your keyboard might let someone else point you in the right direction.

#4 2009-03-16 03:10:04

ladislaio

Concerning Keyboard layout problems durring login:
How exactly do you change you keyboard map to your preference?  If you use the desktop environment to set it, then it does not take effect until the user is logged in.  With the current Xorg, the keymap is managed by edev, so the settings that you may have in xorg.conf are ignored if present.  I am not sure how to fix this, but I believe that you can set policies in HAL for how it reads the layout of the keyboard when it is plugged in.

mmm... Linux...

#5 2009-03-16 21:48:37

Xi0N
Website

Hi, thanks for yor replyes.
The first thing i must say is that before (in previous installations) i did not have to run the command alsactl store each time i wanted to save the sound settings..... maybe it could be something to do with the order in which the daemons are loaded?:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network hal !dhcdb networkmanager fam netfs crond alsa gdm)

Concerning the key issues... they ony affect to the login screen... bevause, once inside gnome, i choose the spanish keyboard layout... and it works as it should...

My rc.conf file parts concerning the internationalization looks like this:

LOCALE="es_ES.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK=""
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Madrid"
KEYMAP="es"

The command locale-gen was previously run, and the output was:

Generating locales...
  es_ES.UTF-8... done
  es_ES.ISO-8859-1... done
  es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro... done
Generation complete.

Concerning the troubles on boot time... is there not any other way to pause the boot up sequence just before the screen gets dark before loading gdm? - it would be more clear to read the error....

Thanks again!!

#6 2009-03-16 22:27:23

Ramses de Norre

Xi0N wrote:

Concerning the troubles on boot time... is there not any other way to pause the boot up sequence just before the screen gets dark before loading gdm? - it would be more clear to read the error....

Scroll lock should do smile

#7 2009-03-22 18:06:31

Xi0N
Website

Ramses de Norre wrote:
Xi0N wrote:

Scroll lock should do smile

That worked, his issue is already fixed, thanks...

The new problem im dealing with is about the permissions in networkmanager;
The options appear greyed and each time i want to connect to a wireless network, i have to input the password for connecting (connecting allways to the same network) - And then im asked for the password to unlock the keyring : None of the passwords (user or root) works here.........

#8 2009-04-09 20:46:08

Xi0N
Website

Ok, i just fixed my issues with the characters on the gdm screen.

It is all something to do with xorg.conf

Before, i had on my old xorg.conf something like this:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "true"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

And i had to change it for:

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option   "AutoAddDevices" "False"
     Option   "AllowEmptyInput" "off" 
EndSection

Then, another section was like:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "es"
    Option "XkbVariant" ""
EndSection

and i had to change it to:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"      
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "es"  
EndSection

Im really glad i finally fixed it... it was getting on my nerves...

Thanks to all for your help anyway!!!

#9 2009-08-09 23:10:29

Xi0N
Website

I knew i had this probem before!!!!
But now i dont use any xorg.conf file,so this solution is not valid anymore (at least, for me).........

Board footer