You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 11:46:44

archiebald

[SOLVED]PC Speaker (buzzer) - how to enable it?

I know it's strange, but I like PC speaker (buzzer) beep event sound. In almost every new live distro I tried, I hear that horrible beep emulation through sound card and external speakers.
Is there any way to fix this?
I tried Arch Linux 2009.02 on my other computer (Gigabyte GA-31M-S2L, G31 chipset), and there I hear beep on buzzer, but on my main machine (Intel Bad Axe2, 975X chipset) I hear beep through sound card. I also tried old Arch 2007.05 cd on main machine, and than I hear beep on buzzer, the way it should be.

Is there something broken between new kernel's and snd-hda-intel module (Sigmatel) or something?

I put pcspkr in modules list /etc/rc.conf, but that doesn't help.

Reason why I like pc speaker is, because I like beep in console, terminal, vi, incoming new mail etc., to get some input information from my machine, to not be dependent on wav sounds and external speakers.

Last edited by archiebald (2009-08-27 17:00:00)

#2 2009-08-10 18:58:39

pauldonnelly

Re: [SOLVED]PC Speaker (buzzer) - how to enable it?

Are you sure this computer does have a built-in speaker? Some computers just send it through the sound card.

#3 2009-08-12 13:13:37

archiebald

pauldonnelly wrote:

Are you sure this computer does have a built-in speaker? Some computers just send it through the sound card.

My motherboard have onboard buzzer.

#4 2009-08-12 13:28:40

Wintervenom

You will have to disable the ALSA PC speaker emulation.  If modprobe -r snd-pcsp doesn't do it, then you will have to deselect PC speaker in the sound cards/ALSA section of your kernel configuration, but make sure it is enabled under "Input device support"/"Miscellaneous devices" and re-compile.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-08-12 13:29:16)

#5 2009-08-12 17:20:54

archiebald

Wintervenom wrote:

You will have to disable the ALSA PC speaker emulation.  If modprobe -r snd-pcsp doesn't do it, then you will have to deselect PC speaker in the sound cards/ALSA section of your kernel configuration, but make sure it is enabled under "Input device support"/"Miscellaneous devices" and re-compile.

If I disable integrated sound card, I get real ps speaker sound in console. So, it seems, when kernel detects sound card, it reroutes beep sound to sound card for emulation.

There was also discussion about this on Ubuntu launchpad :
Bug #331589

New Ubuntu 9.04 update, fix this problem with new kernel and kernel headers (linux-libc-dev).
After that in alsamixer, there is no PC Beep volume control and internal buzzer works as it should be in the first place.

Last edited by archiebald (2009-08-21 11:05:32)

#6 2009-08-27 16:57:24

archiebald

I have found who is guilty for this irritating beep emulation crap. It is in Device Drivers>Sound Card Support (NEW)>Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (NEW)>PCI sound devices>Intel HD Audio (NEW)>Support digital beep via input layer (NEW), section of Linux kernel configuration. It is Y by default. I suggest to turn this crap to N by default, because nobody (i presume) uses this s*it, especially when is so irritating.
Generic sound devices (NEW)>PC - speaker support (READ HELP!) (NEW) have nothing to do with beep noise. It can be only N or M.

Support digital beep via input layer SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
Say Y here to build a digital beep interface for HD-audio
driver. This interface is used to generate digital beeps.

kernel.th.png

Thanks Wintervenom for your suggestion.

Last edited by archiebald (2009-08-27 17:05:17)

Board footer