You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-09 20:42:29

SpeedVin

[Solved] Good lightweight audio conveter.

Hello
I want to convet my mp3's to ogg format (becouse it has better quality and it's smaller but not always).
And I searched for good mp3 to ogg converter but no luck.
Could you give my advice wink

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-08-10 15:42:38)

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#2 2009-08-09 21:06:39

Army

Re: [Solved] Good lightweight audio conveter.

Do you want to directly convert your mp3s to ogg-vorbis? I hope you know that this ALWAYS ends up with a loss of quality!!! So simply DON'T do this, you don't gain anything. The only "way" to "convert" mp3s to ogg-vorbis is to get the original cd (or as flac or any other lossless codec) and encode this to ogg-vorbis.

#3 2009-08-09 23:50:12

foolosophy

Army wrote:

Do you want to directly convert your mp3s to ogg-vorbis? I hope you know that this ALWAYS ends up with a loss of quality!!! So simply DON'T do this, you don't gain anything. The only "way" to "convert" mp3s to ogg-vorbis is to get the original cd (or as flac or any other lossless codec) and encode this to ogg-vorbis.

Exactly. Considering that they are both lossy formats, you can´t recover the data that was lost during mp3 compression, and during the conversion to OGG, you´ll loose a bit more of quality.

Good transcoder? ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i originalfile.mp3 destinationfile.ogg

(do a "man ffmpeg" to see options such as "-ab" and others, to use non-standard bitrates and frequency samples)

#4 2009-08-10 03:09:37

skottish
Forum Fellow

sox is pretty complete too.

As far as quality loss goes, there are some things that can be done to minimize it. It's true that converting a lossy format to another is going to degrade the quality, but you can work with the bitrate to try to minimize the impact. Try first using the exact same bitrate and see if the quality is acceptable. If it isn't, try going with a higher bitrate.

#5 2009-08-10 06:21:11

xd-0
Website

As stated before never ever convert from mp3 to ogg vorbis if yuo want quality. Converting from FLAC to ogg vorbis is quite easy with oggenc.

#6 2009-08-10 06:47:02

SpeedVin

foolosophy wrote:
Army wrote:

Exactly. Considering that they are both lossy formats, you can´t recover the data that was lost during mp3 compression, and during the conversion to OGG, you´ll loose a bit more of quality.

Good transcoder? ffmpeg

(do a "man ffmpeg" to see options such as "-ab" and others, to use non-standard bitrates and frequency samples)

With this tool I will have better quality and smaller ogg file?

#7 2009-08-10 15:01:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

SpeedVin wrote:
foolosophy wrote:
Army wrote:

Good transcoder? ffmpeg

No. You'll lose quality no matter what your settings are. And, FFmpeg's defaults are usually designed for streaming, so the bitrate will be low.

As has been pointed out in this thread, you're better off leaving the files alone if you want to keep the quality as good as it is.

#8 2009-08-10 15:42:17

SpeedVin

skottish wrote:
SpeedVin wrote:
foolosophy wrote:

Good transcoder? ffmpeg

No. You'll lose quality no matter what your settings are. And, FFmpeg's defaults are usually designed for streaming, so the bitrate will be low.

As has been pointed out in this thread, you're better off leaving the files alone if you want to keep the quality as good as it is.

Ok I will do like you said?
Sadly that ogg vorbis is not so popular as mp3 sad.

#9 2009-08-10 21:17:49

Army

Thanks to the LAME project which makes mp3 quite acceptable. The common enemy is wma! If someone gives me an album in wma, I delete it. mp3 is good thanks to LAME. But of course I prefer vorbis!

#10 2009-08-10 21:47:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

mpeg4 audio (AAC) is far superior to all of them. So much so that it's becoming the de facto standard for lossy audio compression technology. Even MS is on board now. And, there are some pretty good to very good AAC encoders under Linux. Nero's neroaacenc and 3GPP's aacplusenc are both very good. FAAC and FFmpeg's AAC encoder (which is basically a stripped version of FAAC) are pretty good.

#11 2009-08-10 22:52:53

guzz46

i'm also keen to know if there is some software that can use neroaac to convert songs to aac for use in my mobile phone, i was using dbpoweramp under wine but would prefer a native linux app

Board footer