You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 12:30:31

drostin77

Making pm-suspend call uswsusp [used to be: pm-suspend does nothing]

[EDIT]

So I have managed to get things working with uswsusp.

Suspend via: s2ram -f

Hibernate via: s2disk  (when I boot out of this is hibernates again, when I boot out of the second hibernation it resumes... but neway, thats sort of the least of my problems here)

And this is all well and good, but pm-utils still does nothing, though I told it to use uswsusp as its SLEEP_MODULE.  Basically, I am pretty sure the pm-utils is supposed to (among other things) work as an intelligent wrapper around either kernel, tuxonice(suspend2), or uswsusp sleep/hibernate methods.  I think I should use the wrapper rather than hardcode the very simplistic s2disk and s2ram -f commands into the scripts called on power button / close lid events.  Anyone know how to help make pm-utils use uswsusp (I know, the wiki page should tell me, I read it, I appear to have made a mistake).

[Original post: not really important nemore]
In an attempt to get either tuxonice or uswsusp to work on my 1000he, I appear to have broken pm-suspend.  It now dows nothing.  From this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58273  I tried this:

echo mem > /sys/power/state

Which suspends normally.  I really want to get pm-suspend working again, especially because only after breaking it did I even notice that pm-hibernate also exists, and I did not even try pm-hibernate before failing to install tuxonice and uswsusp. 

What exactly I did is, install tuxonice (suspend2) by following the wiki page, give up, switch back to my pre-ice kernel.  Install uswsusp by following that wiki page (Suspend To Disk page), then uninstall both tuxonice, uswsusp AND hibernate-script.  Now pm-suspend simply does nothing, though I don't see anything suspicious in /var/log/pm-suspend.log.  Any ideas?

Last edited by drostin77 (2009-08-11 03:55:52)

#2 2009-08-10 16:29:07

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Making pm-suspend call uswsusp [used to be: pm-suspend does nothing]

Retrace your steps in the wiki articles and make sure that any config changes, etc. have all been reverted. That'd be my advice.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2009-08-11 00:02:11

drostin77

Re: Making pm-suspend call uswsusp [used to be: pm-suspend does nothing]

Yes... I have done that of course.  However, being the bright and experienced user I am I completely failed to make any backup config files, and thus i'm not really sure what I have failed to revert.  Most of my changes were in /etc/hibernate/*.conf and /etc/suspend.conf, but both of these got packaged into .pacsaves when I uninstalled tuxonice/uswsusp/hibernate-script, so I don't think they are whats breaking suspend.  my only other changes were to /boot/grub/menu.lst which I have reverted, and /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (followed by a mkinitcpio -p <kernel>), which I /think/ I reverted, though I suppose that could be the problem.  However, I am pretty sure the HOOKs I changed in there are used only for resume, not for suspend, so I doubt the changes would have rendered suspend useless.  Seems like I forgot some sort of important change I made though...  (/etc/pm/config.d/module I also created, changed, then deleted... ?? might have wrong path off the top of my head, not at my arch comp right now)

Board footer