You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-27 00:49:13

blackfedora

wine causing lock ups

I play WoW and have been experiencing complete freezes. After the first few times I set up ctrl-alt-backspace in X (using the code provided in the newbie guide on the wiki) but the computer didn't respond next time it crashed. I also can't switch to a different session with alt-F2 ect Compiz is also unresponsive, so the only choice I have is to hit the reset switch, which I really don't want to do. I'd think it was an x or compiz problem but arch runs beautifully for everything else I do with it. I haven't had a single lock up with any other program. Is there any way to configure wine to run so that in the event of a crash it doesn't take my system with it?

using 2.6.30 kernal
Gnome 2.26.2
Compiz-fusion
wine 1.1.24

Last edited by blackfedora (2009-08-10 19:29:09)

Confusion is always the most honest response, and I'm a very honest person

#2 2009-07-27 01:12:45

arkham
Website

Re: wine causing lock ups

Try disabling compiz while you play, composite+wine is a nasty combination.

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#3 2009-07-30 02:23:12

blackfedora

I've tried playing few a few hours on metacity and no issues yet, if I don't see a crash by the weekend I'll tag the thread solved.

#4 2009-08-10 19:32:48

blackfedora

just kidding, after serveral days of clean play I experienced lockups in metacity. I've tried playing without add-ons, I've messed around with verious winecfg settings playing windowed versus full screen. Nothing. However, today I found some posts in other forums that suggest that this is a 64 bit Linux problem. Have any other 64 bit arch users experienced similar problems? Would a lose a ton of functionality out of my 2.66 Ghz intel quad core if I switched to 32 bit arch?

::edit:: I'm sorry for the lack of logs but I don't know how to check out a computer once the system has crashed, I can't switch to a different session with alt f2 or anything, it just locks up and replays the last half second of sound. If there are any settings or logs which might be helpful I will gladly post them, I just don't know what they are

Last edited by blackfedora (2009-08-10 19:35:00)

#5 2009-08-11 07:02:52

Paaskehare
Website

Have you tried without Compiz-Fusion as arkham also suggested?

Compiz-Fusion is a nasty bitch to have chained onto your knee.

im.ole

#6 2009-08-11 23:04:56

blackfedora

yes, I tried running metacity instead with metacity --replace but i'd still get teh lock ups. The problem is that I'll go days at a time (and by days i mean a good 8-12 hours in game) without a lock up. But then I'll have other days where I lock up every 10 minutes. I thought it might be a hardware issue too, but the RAM tested out ok and my in case thermometers haven't gone above mid 50's on the CPU, GPU, or ambient case temp. The only thing that worries me is that the 12v rail is supposedly at 12.4V according to the oncase LCD. Could I just be having days where the power jumps for a second and my machine goes out of wack?

That said, I still feel it's probably a software issue since I have yet to see Arch crash outside of Wine + Wow. Everything else I've used has run quickly and smoothly.

Board footer