You are not logged in.

#26 2009-08-11 16:26:51

Melson
Member
Registered: 2008-08-29
Posts: 39

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

After selecting 'Boot Arch Linux Live CD', I end up with a 'Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 45200'. I am using a CD-RW medium, but it seems to be written correctly.

Offline

#27 2009-08-11 16:39:13

GerBra
Forum Fellow
From: Bingen/Germany
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 201

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Melson wrote:

I am using a CD-RW medium, but it seems to be written correctly.

"Seems" or have you verified?
Check each the md5sum/sha1sum on the downloaded iso file and also the burned CD medium.

Offline

#28 2009-08-11 18:03:57

Melson
Member
Registered: 2008-08-29
Posts: 39

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

My BitTorrent program checks the ISO integrity automatically and I chosed to check the written data when burning the CD, so I wrote "seems". To be absolutely sure now, I checked the ISO file again with md5sum, used another medium and ran this command to verify the written data:

cat /dev/sr0 | head -c $(stat -c '%s' archlinux.iso) | md5sum

Now I am pretty sure it's written correctly. Using archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64.iso and a CD-RW medium. Thank you for any help.

Offline

#29 2009-08-11 18:18:15

GerBra
Forum Fellow
From: Bingen/Germany
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 201

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Melson, "Buffer I/O error on device sr0" is always a device, media or cable problem when the md5sum is
correct. BTW: best and safest way to get the checksum is:
md5sum /dev/sr0

I would say: burn it with slower speed and/or on a other medium.

Offline

#30 2009-08-11 19:12:09

Melson
Member
Registered: 2008-08-29
Posts: 39

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

I should have added that for example the older release doesn't cause this problem, I also used to get a similar error with newer Ubuntu releases so I thought it could be a driver issue. But in that case, I would probably not be the only one having this problem...

Although I didn't use the shortest possible command, I am afraid that "md5sum /dev/sr0" reads the whole disk, which can be bigger than the ISO file... but tell me if I am wrong.

Anyway, I appreciate your help, GerBra.

Offline

#31 2009-08-11 19:13:09

jserver
Member
Registered: 2009-08-11
Posts: 1

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

when installing in VMWare I'm seeing the following error when the default packages are being installed

installing pcre...
installing grep...
installing perl...
error: command failed to execute correctly
installing groff...
installing sed...

*note: the install completes and works successfully just not sure about if a pkg gets missed or perl failed to install properly

Last edited by jserver (2009-08-11 20:09:48)

Offline

#32 2009-08-11 22:20:15

Ranguvar
Member
From: Our collective subconscious
Registered: 2008-08-12
Posts: 2,515
Website

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Dieter@be wrote:

This is odd. I often think our installer is too userfriendly.  I mean once you have Arch installed, all configuration is done with config files, and all work by using tools on the commandline.
When you install, you are guided and have ncurses interfaces that hide stuff like pacman invocation, network setup etc.
I often think we should make the installer more minimal but I'm not sure yet how exactly I would implement it.

stage3-style tarball installs, a la Gentoo wink Unpack them and start tweaking config files with the help of comprehensive documentation. This has the added benefit that you can install the distro from within any other distro, or another LiveCD, and users can create their own very specialized scripts to automate install.

That said, AIF is very nice, and certainly has its advantages. Congratulations, everyone who worked to put together this release smile
I only noticed one 'bug': The instructions given at first login reference a file that does not exist anymore for instructions. Not that a quick 'ls /arch' won't produce results.

Offline

#33 2009-08-12 02:34:59

Anonymo
Member
Registered: 2005-04-07
Posts: 420
Website

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Some good comments here:
http://www.osnews.com/comments/21974

Offline

#34 2009-08-12 07:31:04

GerBra
Forum Fellow
From: Bingen/Germany
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 201

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Melson wrote:

Although I didn't use the shortest possible command, I am afraid that "md5sum /dev/sr0" reads the whole disk, which can be bigger than the ISO file... but tell me if I am wrong.

No, you're right. My method could work, but must not.
I only could advise: try burning with slower speed and/or on an other medium.
Or try USB-Image to start..

Offline

#35 2009-08-12 07:36:03

GerBra
Forum Fellow
From: Bingen/Germany
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 201

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

jserver wrote:

...
installing perl...
error: command failed to execute correctly
installing groff...
....

*note: the install completes and works successfully just not sure about if a pkg gets missed or perl failed to install properly

Yes, we noted this also. There is already a bugreport FS#15854. We will look on the build logs to see what
packages have problems with their install routines if they get installed on a bare system. We inform then the
maintainers..
But: this is nothing harmful on the installed system.

Offline

#36 2009-08-12 13:43:19

Melson
Member
Registered: 2008-08-29
Posts: 39

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Just to let you know, installing Arch from the hard drive worked for me. But the goal was just to report problems I encounter when using a rewritable CD. I would like to believe that it's a HW problem, but how could I get the right checksum then? Thanks for the new release anyway... >/]

Offline

#37 2009-08-12 17:35:13

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
From: Belgium
Registered: 2006-11-05
Posts: 1,959
Website

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Gen2ly wrote:

oY!  The wiki page appears to be forgot in the process.  Glad it got updated but looks to be casually put together.

A couple things:

1) The first sections is difficult to tell where a paragraph ends and begins.
2) Avoid words like not... please!
3) AIF installation - bash, procedures, libraries...  Are these useful, especially to a new user?

In fact is the whole AIF section needed?  Perhaps we could name this "Installation Types" and put it in a better place??????

Yeah, I rewrote the guide in a limited amount of time.  It could be better for sure.
1) yeah.  I didn't want to put newlines all over the place in the markdown source.  I guess css should limit the width of the text
2) hm? what do you mean?
3) maybe not. In the 'Pre-Installation' section I basically want to introduce everything before the user downloads images/starts an installation.  Maybe we could leave out the fact that it's written in bash, but all the other stuff seems relevant to me.  Especially the available procedures and what they are for.

Ranguvar wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

This is odd. I often think our installer is too userfriendly.  I mean once you have Arch installed, all configuration is done with config files, and all work by using tools on the commandline.
When you install, you are guided and have ncurses interfaces that hide stuff like pacman invocation, network setup etc.
I often think we should make the installer more minimal but I'm not sure yet how exactly I would implement it.

stage3-style tarball installs, a la Gentoo wink Unpack them and start tweaking config files with the help of comprehensive documentation. This has the added benefit that you can install the distro from within any other distro, or another LiveCD, and users can create their own very specialized scripts to automate install.

Actually I've been thinking of doing something like this (writing an image to disk, let the user boot into it and then he can finetune the system).  Especially for speed of install it seems nice.  But it would be a totally different way to do things and require a lot of time, which I don't have.  Note that right now you can also easily write your own scripts to automate installs. (see automatic procedure).  But yes, this require an Arch system (whether that system is a livecd or not shouldn't matter)

Ranguvar wrote:

That said, AIF is very nice, and certainly has its advantages. Congratulations, everyone who worked to put together this release smile
I only noticed one 'bug': The instructions given at first login reference a file that does not exist anymore for instructions. Not that a quick 'ls /arch' won't produce results.

thanks, and please report a bug with a more detailed description.

Melson wrote:

Just to let you know, installing Arch from the hard drive worked for me. But the goal was just to report problems I encounter when using a rewritable CD. I would like to believe that it's a HW problem, but how could I get the right checksum then? Thanks for the new release anyway... >/]

so you used an existing arch system, install aif on it, run it to install arch on another disk, then boot that other disk? all this works fine?  Great to hear, I could never test this myself.


< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline

#38 2009-08-12 18:14:24

Melson
Member
Registered: 2008-08-29
Posts: 39

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Dieter@be wrote:

so you used an existing arch system, install aif on it, run it to install arch on another disk, then boot that other disk? all this works fine?  Great to hear, I could never test this myself.

Well, I just followed an orphaned guide on our wiki, first dd'd the USB image partition to an external drive's one, installed grub there and later chainloaded it from the boot menu. I would like to thank to the author... hope it's not you though. :-)

Offline

#39 2009-08-12 18:58:21

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
From: Belgium
Registered: 2006-11-05
Posts: 1,959
Website

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Melson wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

so you used an existing arch system, install aif on it, run it to install arch on another disk, then boot that other disk? all this works fine?  Great to hear, I could never test this myself.

Well, I just followed an orphaned guide on our wiki, first dd'd the USB image partition to an external drive's one, installed grub there and later chainloaded it from the boot menu. I would like to thank to the author... hope it's not you though. :-)

No I'm not. In principle we shouldn't even need any special guides or tutorials for this sort of thing because it should work (maybe with minor modifications to aif) the way i just described.  I just never tried smile


< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline

#40 2009-08-12 19:15:33

Melson
Member
Registered: 2008-08-29
Posts: 39

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

I see I would need one as I didn't know about this possibility...  :-)

Offline

#41 2009-08-14 23:21:45

archiebald
Member
Registered: 2007-06-03
Posts: 90

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Congratulations on improved installer. But I've noticed some problems in clean install 2009.08 vs older 2009.02(+upgrade).

I can't get GRUB splash in new grub 0.97-16. I put splashimage /grub/splash.xpm.gz (I have /boot on sda1) and splash.xpm.gz is in /boot/grub.
Second bug or something, I have headphones plugged in front audio jack and noticed that there is no beep signal in headphones, like it was in 2009.02 installer.

Last edited by archiebald (2009-08-14 23:22:14)

Offline

#42 2009-08-15 09:51:39

GerBra
Forum Fellow
From: Bingen/Germany
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 201

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

archiebald wrote:

I can't get GRUB splash in new grub 0.97-16. I put splashimage /grub/splash.xpm.gz (I have /boot on sda1) and splash.xpm.gz is in /boot/grub.

You need grub-gfx from community to have splash image support. Legacy grub don't support this.

archiebald wrote:

Second bug or something, I have headphones plugged in front audio jack and noticed that there is no beep signal in headphones, like it was in 2009.02 installer.

Neither AIF nor arch-installer have any sound routines....
But hey, maybe we could play nice techno samples while pacman is downloading/installing packages.... ;-)
And directly after AIF start the bells intro from  "Hells Bells" ...

But seriously: maybe you have to load a kernel pc speaker sound module or something....

Offline

#43 2009-08-15 16:44:06

archiebald
Member
Registered: 2007-06-03
Posts: 90

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

GerBra wrote:

You need grub-gfx from community to have splash image support. Legacy grub don't support this.

Thank you for information. Now it's working.

GerBra wrote:

Neither AIF nor arch-installer have any sound routines....
But hey, maybe we could play nice techno samples while pacman is downloading/installing packages.... ;-)
And directly after AIF start the bells intro from  "Hells Bells" ...
But seriously: maybe you have to load a kernel pc speaker sound module or something....

ROTFL, Why not. Sabayon installer got music. big_smile

The biggest problem with GNU/Linux distros I have, is connected with sound.:mad:

Offline

#44 2009-08-15 20:06:50

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus
From: USA
Registered: 2006-11-27
Posts: 4,170

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

GerBra wrote:

... directly after AIF start the bells intro from  "Hells Bells"....

I would pay real money to see this.

Offline

#45 2009-08-16 15:32:35

kozzi
Member
Registered: 2006-06-24
Posts: 16

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Hi i have trouble with new iso snapshot in virtualbox. Virtual machine falls when it load udev hook.


Linux je jako mušketýři "jeden za všechny, všichni za jednoho"

Offline

#46 2009-08-16 15:46:23

GerBra
Forum Fellow
From: Bingen/Germany
Registered: 2007-05-10
Posts: 201

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Virtualbox has problems with kernel 2.6.30 for many users (luckily not me <g>). Search the forums, there are also bugreports here and on vbox bugtracker or use search engine with "virtualbox 2.6.30", ex:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15665
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2149

You could try to enable VT-x/AMD-V on your Guest if your host cpu support this.
This is nothing special with 2009.08 images....

Offline

#47 2009-08-16 19:58:52

kozzi
Member
Registered: 2006-06-24
Posts: 16

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

GerBra wrote:

Virtualbox has problems with kernel 2.6.30 for many users (luckily not me <g>). Search the forums, there are also bugreports here and on vbox bugtracker or use search engine with "virtualbox 2.6.30", ex:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15665
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2149

You could try to enable VT-x/AMD-V on your Guest if your host cpu support this.
This is nothing special with 2009.08 images....

Thanks!


Linux je jako mušketýři "jeden za všechny, všichni za jednoho"

Offline

#48 2009-08-21 14:40:27

kgas
Member
From: Qatar
Registered: 2008-11-08
Posts: 718

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Thanks for the new image. The official install guide is now elaborate and think no one should complain again for the missing guide :-)
fstab uses the old method (/dev..). Congrats  to all those involved in this project.

Offline

#49 2009-08-23 20:00:59

lestoil
Member
Registered: 2005-08-09
Posts: 81

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

Just did fresh install with 08/09 iso.  For the 1st time the installer networkmanager detected and setup my router-dsl.  I didn't have to use pppoe-setup.  Install was easier than 02/09 iso. 
   The only problem is that xorg config steps should be clearer.  Even using my last installs /etc/X11/xorg.conf file alot of errors showed up.  The steps to setup xorg without xorg.conf could be clearer too.
   Otherwise kudos to Arch team.:D

Offline

#50 2009-08-28 09:29:54

combuster
Member
From: Serbia
Registered: 2008-09-30
Posts: 711
Website

Re: 2009.08 official snapshots

There are still issues with timezones. When I select UTC and use timezone Europe/Belgrade it forwards +2h instead of +1h GMT. Clock in BIOS is set to GMT. When I enable ntp it gives me the correct time but change the time in BIOS GMT - 1h. Anyways it is wrong by one hour only, with 2009.02 it was wrong by 4h i think...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB